Author Topic: New combo toto/GM fantasy league starting soon  (Read 8321 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
New combo toto/GM fantasy league starting soon
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:19:44 PM »
Jsams posted a link on Libertyballers.com (his Sixers blog) to
http://paspn.net/default.asp?p=90&leagueid=5845&seasonid=53&gamepage=0

Here is his blog on it: http://www.libertyballers.com/2009/8/16/991603/become-an-nba-gm-via-paspn

This is a PAPN fantasy league, where you pick a team and then make trades and signings using the C.B.A.  Then when the season starts its plays like a head to head fantasy league where you use your top 8 players each week.

Never heard of this before, but it sounds good (and is free.)  We are trying to find 30 Sixer fans so that we can have a full league.  Its supposed to start 8/19, but it will probably be shifted back.  It starts early so there can be lots of trades before the season starts.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: New combo toto/GM fantasy league starting soon
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
Up to 18 teams and a bunch of agents.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:38:05 AM »
I'm in

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »
I'm in far too many leagues already.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
I'm in, but have no idea how the damn thing works, especially as far as picking a team goes.  Should be interesting though.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »
Yeah, just getting all of these people in one league should be interesting- but even after reading the site I'm not really sure how it all works.

Sounds like it is lopsided, since some teams have much better resources.  But if people are willing to trade it could even out.  Doesn't sound like the agents will have much to do until next year- unless we re-do Free Agency.  I know we re-do the draft.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:30:36 AM »
I think if Derek and Ankle join it will have most of the good posters/bloggers all in one league.

I think the format has potential to get better with time.  But I wonder if there is a way to replace GM's if they are inactive.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:35:27 PM »
ah what the hell

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 02:03:34 PM »
If this is not a keeper league, and it doesn't sound like it, then there may be considerably more trading than in real life.  If the CBA rules on trading apply, they only apply to this year, so trading Elton Brand might not be as difficult if, unlike a real team, you don't have to worry about the escalating salaries he will be making in the last 3 years of his contract as he leaves his prime years behind.

Hell, under that scenario, even Sammy might be tradeable.   ;D

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
I think it is a keeper league.

BTW, I found this detailed description of how it works: http://paspn.net/default.asp?p=90&gmaction=38

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
I think it is a keeper league.

BTW, I found this detailed description of how it works: http://paspn.net/default.asp?p=90&gmaction=38

Thanks, that helped somewhat, although I will still be shooting from the hip a bit. Re-doing the draft this year is going to be interesting.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
Trying to think of strategy.  Some interesting options.

Maybe try and get Kobe to exercise his ETO?  I'd imagine maybe a cap rich team like OKC could make a run at him.

Also, did you notice that players you buy out do not count against the cap for the remainder of their contract?  This would be a big deal if it is a keeper league...

BTW, here are the NBA eff leaders for last year.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Efficiency.jsp?league=00&season=22008&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »
So far I see that tk has the Lakers, D-Bods has the T-Wolves and I am GM for the Nets.  Anyone else here pick a team yet, maybe under a screen name I don't recognize? 

It looks like there are about 15 teams still needing GM's at this point.  This should be fun.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:24:48 AM »
Why the Nets?

BTW, wanted the Sixers.  Lakers are a good team with lots of cash, so I just went with them.

And the league can be a keeper league if people choose.  Also, inactive GM's are bumped after the draft, so it should ideally stay active.

I recognize about 1/2 the GM's.  I'm guessing the other 1/2 are either using different names or from the PASN world.

And Jems and agent... classic IMO.  I'm going to try and sign someone and he'll start quoting Wages of wins numbers for why I need to pay more :D

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »
I had a list of 7-8 teams I was considering, about 4 of them were grabbed imemdiately.  The Nets intrigue me with two very young high quality players in Lopez and Harris, one fairly valuable vet in Carter and some other young pieces who will either pick up their games a good bit this year or be trade bait to those GM's who love guys with potential that hasn't been reached yet.  Their financial picture is decent, but not great.

I saw them as a challenge, but one with some promise.  When I made the choice my two thoughts were the Nets and the Hawks of the available teams and I just went with one of them.