Author Topic: Simmons on the Clippers  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Simmons on the Clippers
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »
From Bill Simmons lastest journalistic attempt.  Every once i a whlie he makes sense.  The numbered "quotes" are from the movie "Almost Famous".

27. It's all happening! It's all happening!

C'mon, LeBron, wouldn't you love to throws some lobs to Blake Griffin?
To the Clippers, who have qualified for "It's all happening!" status a few times over the past few decades, only this time, it might stick. If you didn't notice, they turned Zach Randolph into Blake Griffin and three quality bench guys (including Mark Madsen, the first towel-waving chemistry guy they've had since ? since ? since ? I mean, have they ever had a towel-waving chemistry guy?). Now they have a killer under-22 foundation (Griffin and Eric Gordon, headed for a leap in Year 2), a fun team for this season (especially if Baron Davis and Marcus Camby are healthy) and a super-intriguing cap situation next summer (they're under $35 million). This remains the best combination basketball/big city situation for LeBron James. It's true.

28. We're buffoons! Rock 'n' roll can save the world? The chicks are great? I sound like a d---!

To Mike Dunleavy, the biggest reason, other than 33-plus years of bad luck, why Clippers fans shouldn't be doing backflips right now (even though they should). I don't think people truly understand how unsuccessful Dunleavy has been as a head coach. In the history of the NBA, only six people have coached more than 300 games consecutively for the same franchise and won less than 40 percent of those games. Incredibly, Dunleavy is the only person who accomplished this "feat" for two franchises. Here's the complete list:

? Bill Fitch, 99-229 (.302) -- L.A. Clippers, 1994-1998
? Mike Dunleavy, 107-221 (.326) -- Milwaukee Bucks, 1992-1996
? Matt Guokas, 111-217 (.338) -- Orlando Magic, 1989-1993
? Jack McKinney, 125-203 (.381) -- Indiana Pacers, 1980-84
? Wes Unseld, 202-345 (.369) -- Washington Bullets, 1987-94
? Mike Woodson, 153-257 (.373) -- Atlanta Hawks, 2004-present
? Mike Dunleavy, 194-298 (.394) -- L.A. Clippers, 2003-present.

You'll see someone break Wilt's 100 before you see another coach appear on that list twice. I really believe that. Mike Dunleavy, you made history. Congratulations. If you're not gone by Valentine's Day, I am organizing "Throw Bags Of Your Own Urine" Night. Of course, the Clips need more than just Dunleavy's departure to get LeBron. Allow me to help.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090728

Imagine LA with both LBJ and Kobe...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simmons on the Clippers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:29:18 AM »
Not trying to take up for Dunleavy or anything but he has been the coach of very bad teams.  I won't deny that part of the reason the teams are poor/average has to do with his short comings as a coach and the staff he works with.  He also has helped pick some questionable players.   The Clippers as a whole have no idea how to build a team though.  The argument has always been that Sterling just wants to make money and could care less.  I honestly feel that they would want to build a team that can compete.  The year the Clippers got to the 2nd round with Sam Cassell at the helm there was a decent buzz in the city.  More games were filling up.  Obviously that is more dough for Sterling.  So I don't think he doesn't care.  I just think they have no clue, from top to bottom, on how to build a solid team.  When is the last time you saw moves from Clippers that looked like filling up multiple gaps in their roster?  You hear about players leaving more often than you hear about the Clippers really adding pieces they need.  I'd bet a pay check on the fact that they are not going to be able to add another player to that Baron Davis/Blake Griffith core that might make them a decent team.

Though, as usual with Simmons, there is a back story to all this.  It involves his ego and him once again disguising his hate via his BLOG.   Dunleavy and him have fueded in the public eye.  Both have taken shots back and forth.  Dunleavy even took one on the Jimmy Kimmel Show.  I don't even know why Simmons even stays in LA other than to complain about staying in LA.  He hates the Lakers because hes a Boston boy. He goes to Clippers games because somehow he thinks its sticking it to the Lakers/not riding the bandwagon and so he can complain about the Clippers.  With the advances of the Internet and the ability to fly in airplanes I don't know why he just doesn't leave the area.  I understand LA is not a place some people would not want to live in.   Bill Simmons makes enough money and has the type of job he could move somewhere else....but I guess then what would he be able to write about?  Oh yea, just straight sports.  No lame jabs and jokes.  He is not very good at it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:38:04 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com