Author Topic: AP Source: Bobcats, Hornets swapping centers  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
AP Source: Bobcats, Hornets swapping centers
« on: July 27, 2009, 04:36:01 PM »
(AP) -- Persons familiar with the deal say the Charlotte Bobcats are
finalizing a trade that would send Emeka Okafor to the New Orleans
Hornets for Tyson Chandler.
      The swap of centers could be completed later Monday, two people
told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because an
official announcement has not been made.
      The Bobcats will be giving up the only starting center in
franchise history for Chandler, who has been plagued by a left toe
injury. Chandler played in only 32 games last season and a trade to
Oklahoma City was rescinded because of concerns over the injury.
      The deal comes less than a year after Okafor signed a six-year,
$72 million deal with the Bobcats.

This confuses me.  Haven't the Hornets avoided taking on salary?

Personally, I've always liked Okafor more than Chandler, so in that respect I understand what New Orleans is doing, but given their economic state, I don't get this.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: AP Source: Bobcats, Hornets swapping centers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:32:56 PM »
Dang. I was hoping we could get Chandler into a Boozer deal of some sort.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »
Dang. I was hoping we could get Chandler into a Boozer deal of some sort.

That would put quite an offensive load on Deron Williams don't ya think?

Chandler gets points based on plays being made for him like a lob.  He would need Deron to make the play for him.  Boozer has a jumper and a back to the basket game.  He doesn't need Deron to make plays for him on a regular basis if he was unable to.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:54:52 PM »
Anything we do with Boozer is going to put an offensive load on Williams. But hopefully not as much as you think. Okur is a very good scoring big man, even though he is often relegated to being a spot up shooter when Boozer is in (Okur hit 40% of his threes last season BTW).

Interior defense is a major weakness for us. AK used to be a force in there, but all he gets now are the rare weak side help blocks. He hasn't locked anyone down for a while. At least he didn't do much of it last season.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »
Anything we do with Boozer is going to put an offensive load on Williams. But hopefully not as much as you think. Okur is a very good scoring big man, even though he is often relegated to being a spot up shooter when Boozer is in (Okur hit 40% of his threes last season BTW).

I meant in the sense that Deron would be relied on to make the play.  Not just score additional points because you are losing a 20 ppg scorer.  Deron would literally have to force the defense to make a mistake and make the correct pass.

Interior defense is a major weakness for us. AK used to be a force in there, but all he gets now are the rare weak side help blocks. He hasn't locked anyone down for a while. At least he didn't do much of it last season.

I swear ever since he got that big pay day his game has been on the decline.  Really weird how that happens to a lot of players in this league.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »

This confuses me.  Haven't the Hornets avoided taking on salary?

Personally, I've always liked Okafor more than Chandler, so in that respect I understand what New Orleans is doing, but given their economic state, I don't get this.

Hollinger addressed this on ESPN yesterday.  Okafor's salary for the next 2 years is actually LOWER than Chandlers.  So NO is saving money and is closer to be out of the luxury tax.  If they can get someone to take Antonio Daniels for nothing then they will be under the cap.

I also believe that Okafor is the better player.  Chandler will get more blocks but Okafor cleans the glass much better and has a more rounded offensive game.  For you fantasy players I would bet on Paul's assists dropping - no more lobs off the pick and roll.  Okafor is more likely to put the ball on the floor.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues