Author Topic: Why is Ben Roth being given the benefit of the doubt about all this?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Everyone seems to be giving this guy the benefit of the doubt.  I want to get everyones take on why they think this is. While this lady did take a minute to come forward, she did talk to the hotel security staff and they nipped any investigation in the butt due to the owners undying love for all things Steelers.  Why does Big Ben get a pass?

ESPN is not even covering this as much as Mike Vick's dog deeds.  I find that very strange.  Whether she lagged or not it should be getting as much coverage as Mike Vick no?  Same sport?  Bigger name.  Championship ring holder....

I've yet to hear anyone even say 'Big Ben is a rapist' but the same can't be said of Kobe Bryant now can it?

Edit:  I just asked a friend who is a Steelers fan and was told 'Because Ben is not married and it doesn't warrant coverage as much'  Do you guys think that's true?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:07:37 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Why is Ben Roth being given the benefit of the doubt about all this?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:19:18 PM »
I think part of that is true.  Regardless of whether the woman is lying or not, Kobe at least committed infidelity.  In today's tobloid press, that in and of itself is a story.  Hence why the "I'm sorry ring" got so much attention.

Part of it is because (despite winning 2 super bowls) Bryant's a bigger star, and hence a bigger story.

Part of it is because it's a civil case that never had any criminal charges.  When people take a civil case against multi-million dollar athletes, they tend to lose the benefit of the doubt (rightly or wrongly).

And a part of it is because Ben isn't as hated as Kobe.  Kobe, for many reasons, is a very polarizing athlete.  When there's any controversy surrounding him, there are the fanatics attacking him, and the fanatics defending him.  that fuels the story.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 12:28:48 PM »
I think part of that is true.  Regardless of whether the woman is lying or not, Kobe at least committed infidelity.  In today's tobloid press, that in and of itself is a story.  Hence why the "I'm sorry ring" got so much attention.

Part of it is because (despite winning 2 super bowls) Bryant's a bigger star, and hence a bigger story.

Part of it is because it's a civil case that never had any criminal charges.  When people take a civil case against multi-million dollar athletes, they tend to lose the benefit of the doubt (rightly or wrongly).

And a part of it is because Ben isn't as hated as Kobe.  Kobe, for many reasons, is a very polarizing athlete.  When there's any controversy surrounding him, there are the fanatics attacking him, and the fanatics defending him.  that fuels the story.

I pretty much felt the same way but did not want to say Kobe is the bigger star cuz well, it could come off a bit homer-esque.  Though I disagree that since Kobe was married it deserved to be covered 50x as much.  While it's true the married part adds a different dimension to it I don't think it shoots it from being danced around to shooting it in your face or ears for weeks and weeks and weeks.

Though don't you find it strange that ESPN is not reporting on this very much?  They need very little reason to report a news story every 10 minutes but they do it anyways.  Like the Lebron dunk stuff....Or Lamar Odom eating candy....Or well you get my point.  I do find it weird they have held back.  Especially since football is the most popular sport in this country (I don't think anything comes close)  Maybe they learned how much damage them running a story a thousand times a day can do in the publics mind?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:32:17 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
Though I disagree that since Kobe was married it deserved to be covered every 2 minutes by all major networks whereas ESPN has been VERY quiet about this.  While it's true the married part adds a different dimension to it I don't think it shoots it from being danced around to shooting it in your face or ears for weeks and weeks and weeks.

I didn't say it was the reason.  It was just one of the reasons I listed.

Though don't you find it strange that ESPN is not reporting on this very much?  They need very little reason to report a news story every 10 minutes but they do it anyways.

Honestly, (outside of games that are on ESPN), I haven't watched ESPN with any regularity for years.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:36:04 PM »
...security staff and they nipped any investigation in the butt...

:D Where is LakerfanDan?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »
Because people are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Apparently there is a lack of evidence.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »
Though I disagree that since Kobe was married it deserved to be covered every 2 minutes by all major networks whereas ESPN has been VERY quiet about this.  While it's true the married part adds a different dimension to it I don't think it shoots it from being danced around to shooting it in your face or ears for weeks and weeks and weeks.

I didn't say it was the reason.  It was just one of the reasons I listed.

Though don't you find it strange that ESPN is not reporting on this very much?  They need very little reason to report a news story every 10 minutes but they do it anyways.

Honestly, (outside of games that are on ESPN), I haven't watched ESPN with any regularity for years.

Oh I know you didn't say that was a reason.  I was just adding my take on it since you are not the first person to say you feel him being married as contributing factor.

I have to watch/listen to ESPN, even though they run annoying stories, because it's background noise when I am at home.

WOW..unintentionally double tap of the T but I am going to leave it because it is funny.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
Because people are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Apparently there is a lack of evidence.

Ahh but did they do the same to Kobe Bryant?  Or Ray Lewis?  Even before all the information on Mike Vick's case came out people were really taking major shots at him and acted like he did it.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 01:58:10 PM »
I think part of it has to do with the delay.  You expect something groundbreaking to come to light quickly, the police to move on it even more quickly, and everyone is clamoring for the details.

Given the fact that there is NOT a criminal investigation going on, that's big.  If it's true, I'd expect to hear about it FIRST through the criminal case, and later on through the civil case - like O.J., or Bryant, or Vick.  If the police believe there's a crime, I'm more likely to believe there was a crime.

But, let's face it - this story is getting more play that Antoine Walker's story.  Why?  Because, even on this basketball board, Rothlesberger is a bigger name.

Had Rothlesberger driven off in his vehicle on a police chase around town, this would be a bigger story.  If it was part of a big federal probe, it would be more interesting.  But all in all, it's a rape accusation being made in civil court, being announced by lawyers.  In other words, a yawner.

I equate this to Bill Clinton's scandal.  Clinton got oral sex.  And?  And he cheated on his wife.  And?  And he swore he didn't do it on TV.  Okay, that's a bit better, but what else?  And he lied to a court about it.  *WHOA!*

Even when a story is pretty egregious, there needs to be a bit of sensationalism to it for us to really run with it.  I guess plain old rapes and murders are old news.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
I think part of it has to do with the delay.  You expect something groundbreaking to come to light quickly, the police to move on it even more quickly, and everyone is clamoring for the details.

Given the fact that there is NOT a criminal investigation going on, that's big.  If it's true, I'd expect to hear about it FIRST through the criminal case, and later on through the civil case - like O.J., or Bryant, or Vick.  If the police believe there's a crime, I'm more likely to believe there was a crime.

But, let's face it - this story is getting more play that Antoine Walker's story.  Why?  Because, even on this basketball board, Rothlesberger is a bigger name.

Had Rothlesberger driven off in his vehicle on a police chase around town, this would be a bigger story.  If it was part of a big federal probe, it would be more interesting.  But all in all, it's a rape accusation being made in civil court, being announced by lawyers.  In other words, a yawner.

I equate this to Bill Clinton's scandal.  Clinton got oral sex.  And?  And he cheated on his wife.  And?  And he swore he didn't do it on TV.  Okay, that's a bit better, but what else?  And he lied to a court about it.  *WHOA!*

Even when a story is pretty egregious, there needs to be a bit of sensationalism to it for us to really run with it.  I guess plain old rapes and murders are old news.

Good points all around.  I was under the impression that the cops were also looking into this.  If that is not the case then it looks really bad.  However, even if it looks bad, why is there not more coverage either way? 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 03:20:38 PM »
WOW..unintentionally double tap of the T but I am going to leave it because it is funny.

Try a "D" genius!  :D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »

Try a "D" genius!  :D

::shrugs::

I've always heard it as butt come from people's mouths.  Though I am thankful that a person who comes from a long line of gardeners set me straight about a phrase that came from taking care of plants.