Author Topic: Lakers 9 million a year deal for Odom...GONE  (Read 1801 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers 9 million a year deal for Odom...GONE
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
According to RealLakers sources (meaning the Internet) the 9 million a year deal has been pulled off the table.  Apparently Jerry Buss is PISSED that Odom and his agent have had actual talks with Miami and Dallas but has yet to sit down with the Lakers even though there is an offer on the table.

I am not quite sure who the Lakers think they are.  I understand it's a big organization and 'no player is bigger than the franchise' yadda yadda.  To get 'whiny' or 'pissy' with TWO key free agents in the offseason is not okay in my eyes.  If they think just Kobe, Gasol, and Artest are going to repeat they have something coming to em....like an early exit in the playoffs.

Both teams Dallas/Miami were only reported to have been able to offer Lamar 5.6 million but over 5 years.  The Laker deal was for 3 I think.  So the difference is 8 million dollars.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:10:36 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Lakers 9 million a year deal for Odom...GONE
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:12:18 PM »
According to RealLakers sources (meaning the Internet) the 9 million a year deal has been pulled off the table.  Apparently Jerry Buss is PISSED that Odom and his agent have had actual talks with Miami and Dallas but has yet to sit down with the Lakers even though there is an offer on the table.

I am not quite sure who the Lakers think they are.  I understand it's a big organization and 'no player is bigger than the franchise' yadda yadda.  To get 'whiny' or 'pissy' with TWO key free agents in the offseason is not okay in my eyes.  If they think just Kobe, Gasol, and Artest are going to repeat they have something coming to em....like an early exit in the playoffs.

Both teams Dallas/Miami were only reported to have been able to offer Lamar 5.6 million but over 5 years.  The Laker deal was for 3 I think.  So the difference is 8 million dollars.

What I read was 30 million for 3 years, starting at 9 million but the average over the 3 years is 10 mil, which is what LO is asking for.  The deal could go to 4 years but would only be for 35 mil.

I think both sides are acting appropriately but I do wish the Lakers would keep LO.  I don't want to count on Bynum staying healthy all year to offset the loss of LO.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:49:50 PM »
I hate the fact that people use the "luxury tax" excuse for Odom's contract.  Just because the Lakers gave big unwarranted dollars to Bynum, Sasha, and Walton doesn't mean it has to hurt Lamar.  Lamar is the definition of inconsistent but he is far more deserving of a nice contract than Sasha and Luke.  Those other contracts contribute just as much to the luxury tax penalty as LO.

The other issue is about the length of the contract.  Kobe and some of the othe Lakers are getting up there in age, they are going to have to rebuild in the next 4 to 5 years and they don't need LO's contract hanging around their necks.  They need to remain as flexible as possible for the post-Kobe era and LO is not the guy to build a team around so why pay him for 5 years when you'll probably be rebuilding in 3 or 4 years.

Like I posted before, both sides have a legit gripe.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00:45 PM »
I hate the fact that people use the "luxury tax" excuse for Odom's contract.  Just because the Lakers gave big unwarranted dollars to Bynum, Sasha, and Walton doesn't mean it has to hurt Lamar.  Lamar is the definition of inconsistent but he is far more deserving of a nice contract than Sasha and Luke.  Those other contracts contribute just as much to the luxury tax penalty as LO.

The other issue is about the length of the contract.  Kobe and some of the othe Lakers are getting up there in age, they are going to have to rebuild in the next 4 to 5 years and they don't need LO's contract hanging around their necks.  They need to remain as flexible as possible for the post-Kobe era and LO is not the guy to build a team around so why pay him for 5 years when you'll probably be rebuilding in 3 or 4 years.

Like I posted before, both sides have a legit gripe.

Had that been stated as the reason, I would agree.  I don't have a problem with the Lakers looking out for their best interest.  Nor do I have a problem with Odom doing the same.  The problem I have is Jerry Buss' ego came rumbling down and he made the call because HE was mad that Lamar talked to Miami (who he actually liked playing for) and Dallas before the Lakers.  Didn't the Lakers tell Ariza to see what he can get first and then made him the offer?  So Odom does that and Jerry Buss is upset?  That's LAME. 

I am not saying the Lakers specifically need Odom to repeat but they need 4 quality guys.  Odom is a quality and versatile guy.  I want him on the team.  I think the Laker players want him on the team.  If he bolts because of Jerry Buss I am going to be real pissed.  The Cavs, Magic (tho I guess this remains to be seen), Celtics, and Spurs all have improved in the off-season.  Adding Ron Artest (who could blow up) and losing Odom/Ariza is HUSTLING BACKWARDS not forward.

Sure the rest of the posters on the board are happy tho LOL

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:01:31 AM »
Had that been stated as the reason, I would agree.  I don't have a problem with the Lakers looking out for their best interest.  Nor do I have a problem with Odom doing the same.  The problem I have is Jerry Buss' ego came rumbling down and he made the call because HE was mad that Lamar talked to Miami (who he actually liked playing for) and Dallas before the Lakers.  Didn't the Lakers tell Ariza to see what he can get first and then made him the offer?  So Odom does that and Jerry Buss is upset?  That's LAME. 

I am not saying the Lakers specifically need Odom to repeat but they need 4 quality guys.  Odom is a quality and versatile guy.  I want him on the team.  I think the Laker players want him on the team.  If he bolts because of Jerry Buss I am going to be real pissed.  The Cavs, Magic (tho I guess this remains to be seen), Celtics, and Spurs all have improved in the off-season.  Adding Ron Artest (who could blow up) and losing Odom/Ariza is HUSTLING BACKWARDS not forward.

It does bug me a little that Buss has not been a part of celebrating the championship.  We haven't seen nor heard from him regarding the title this year but NOW he decides he wants to a focal point.  Still, unlike some/most other owners, the Buss family buisness IS the Lakers franchise.  They are being very prudent and not bidding against themselves.  If the Blazers get Milsap there is nowhere for Odom to go and if the Blazers do go after Odom the Lakers should be able to out bid them.  There is no hurry and both sides are doing what's in their best interests.

I agree that if the Lakers end up losing both Ariza and Odom this offseason was a bust, despite landing Artest.  IMO the Lakers are still a championship caliber team and should be the favorites in the WC, I do think the Spurs and Nuggets might be too much next year, plus the team comming out of the EC will be very difficult to beat, Boston in particular. 
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:27:31 AM »

It does bug me a little that Buss has not been a part of celebrating the championship.  We haven't seen nor heard from him regarding the title this year but NOW he decides he wants to a focal point.  Still, unlike some/most other owners, the Buss family buisness IS the Lakers franchise.  They are being very prudent and not bidding against themselves.  If the Blazers get Milsap there is nowhere for Odom to go and if the Blazers do go after Odom the Lakers should be able to out bid them.  There is no hurry and both sides are doing what's in their best interests.

I agree that if the Lakers end up losing both Ariza and Odom this offseason was a bust, despite landing Artest.  IMO the Lakers are still a championship caliber team and should be the favorites in the WC, I do think the Spurs and Nuggets might be too much next year, plus the team comming out of the EC will be very difficult to beat, Boston in particular. 

I agree with what your saying about Buss.  I understand that the Buss family business is the Lakers and they've done a GREAT job with the franchise.  The thing I have a problem with is acting as if Odom treating it like a business (exactly what they do) is some kind of personal shot at the Buss family.  You would think Odom yelled out 'F U Pay Me My Money' in the stands during a pre-season game.

Talks have not stopped but the deal itself is off the table.  Odom and his agent are looking for 10 million a year for 5 years.  Not to take anything away from Lamar but I don't think any teams are willing to spend that kind of money right now.  They did say they are open to talk to Lamar/his agent and the pulling of the deal does not mean they are uninterested in his services.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »
I am hearing rumors from my FakeLakers Insyderz that Lamar has accepted the 4 year deal despite it being "taken off the table".

I also hear that the deal got pumped up a little to 4yrs/36mil
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:22:41 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"