Author Topic: OT- Derek, did you ever post your review of the Palm Pre?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT- Derek, did you ever post your review of the Palm Pre?
« on: July 13, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
I use this device quite a bit.   I was looking at some of the homebrew, prety simple stuff but there is an active desktop app coming out for this that looks promising.  Can't say I have had too many issue's, I did have a faulty Pre that Sprint replaced for me, dead megapixel, distorted screen, battery overheating, loose battery.  The new one has been smooth sailing so far, none of the issue's from the last phone are on this one. 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT- Derek, did you ever post your review of the Palm Pre?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:38:46 PM »
I still have not got a chance to play with it yet.  Just seen some demos online and on the tv, looks cool.

My only problem is the Palm OS, is it really going to keep evolving with the backing of Palm?  Or if this device doesn't take off like they planned are they going to sort of maintain but not advance it?

I am pretty set on the Android OS and I don't know if the Pre can get me to switch.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 04:50:50 PM »
I still have not got a chance to play with it yet.  Just seen some demos online and on the tv, looks cool.

My only problem is the Palm OS, is it really going to keep evolving with the backing of Palm?  Or if this device doesn't take off like they planned are they going to sort of maintain but not advance it?

I am pretty set on the Android OS and I don't know if the Pre can get me to switch.

I have read they ae working on a gsm version of the phone and should be on verizon and att soon. I know we have an update to webos 1.1, but it is not clear if any new apps or functions come with it.  I read on a blog that they were working on a homebrew to get this phone to record video with it's current camera...wonder what that will be like and how well it will work.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »

If WebOS (not palmos, palmos is dead and not owned by palm anymore) fails, then palm is dead.  They've entire future is dependent on the success of webos based devices.

I think the Pre's a very mixed bag.  Very much a 1.0 device that should improve greatly in future iterations.  Software's generally better than the hardware. 

Some of the things they've done fantastically.  multitasking works well, and after a little tweaking, a little full recharges of the battery, and tweaking with some of the automatic location settings, I get good battery life out of it.  The notification system is the best i've seen on a device.  Very intuitive to use, and a constant reminder that doesn't get in your way.   Overall the user interface, once you get used to it, is very easy and intuitive to use.

There's some things that make it feel like a 1.0 device.  Some decisions that make you go "huh?".  Like, not being able to change the sound when you receive an sms.  Things that really shouldn't have been overlooked, and you just hope they get sent off in an update.  No LED notification light for missed calls/texts.  If this were still my work phone, that would be a showstopper for me.

I love the fact that it's a slider, allows you to have a gorgeous screen (same screen res as iphone), and let's me keep my real keyboard (I have the iphone's virtual keyboard), and keeps the phone a very reasonable size and weight.  But the keyboard's not very good.  I do like it better than the iPhone's, but it's a step behind my old treo's, and way behind my blackberry curve I have for work.  too small of keys, and not enough feedback when pressing them.  keyboard was a disappointment imo.

most of the apps (calendar, tasks, memo, etc) from the old classic palmos aren't nearly as fully featured.  But I do like the fact that they all (including contacts) sync with gmail.  just from a backing up perspective, much easier than with old palms.

and I'm not killing them for the small apps store yet (people forget the iphone didn't have one for a full year after launch), but damnit I want some more apps.

the apps they do have work well though.  the gps i've found to be great, and is all-inclusive in price (which isn't always the case).

and i HATE having to go through itunes to add music, ringtones, wallpaper, pictures, etc to my phone.  The fact that I can simply plug my Pre into a usb slot, have it show up as a usb drive, and drag and drop mp3's into my ringtones folder and have it show up instantly is great.

overall, I like it.  compared to the old treo's it's a godsend.  To be able to drive down the highway streaming pandora while using the gps on my phone for navigation is a great convenience.  some of the polish that previously made palm great isn't yet there, but I attribute that more to being a 1.0 device than in inability of the platform.  I expect great things from palm and webos in the future, I just hope palm remains afloat as a company long enough for them to realize that. 

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »

If WebOS (not palmos, palmos is dead and not owned by palm anymore) fails, then palm is dead.  They've entire future is dependent on the success of webos based devices.

I think the Pre's a very mixed bag.  Very much a 1.0 device that should improve greatly in future iterations.  Software's generally better than the hardware. 

Some of the things they've done fantastically.  multitasking works well, and after a little tweaking, a little full recharges of the battery, and tweaking with some of the automatic location settings, I get good battery life out of it.  The notification system is the best i've seen on a device.  Very intuitive to use, and a constant reminder that doesn't get in your way.   Overall the user interface, once you get used to it, is very easy and intuitive to use.

There's some things that make it feel like a 1.0 device.  Some decisions that make you go "huh?".  Like, not being able to change the sound when you receive an sms.  Things that really shouldn't have been overlooked, and you just hope they get sent off in an update.  No LED notification light for missed calls/texts.  If this were still my work phone, that would be a showstopper for me.

I love the fact that it's a slider, allows you to have a gorgeous screen (same screen res as iphone), and let's me keep my real keyboard (I have the iphone's virtual keyboard), and keeps the phone a very reasonable size and weight.  But the keyboard's not very good.  I do like it better than the iPhone's, but it's a step behind my old treo's, and way behind my blackberry curve I have for work.  too small of keys, and not enough feedback when pressing them.  keyboard was a disappointment imo.

most of the apps (calendar, tasks, memo, etc) from the old classic palmos aren't nearly as fully featured.  But I do like the fact that they all (including contacts) sync with gmail.  just from a backing up perspective, much easier than with old palms.

and I'm not killing them for the small apps store yet (people forget the iphone didn't have one for a full year after launch), but damnit I want some more apps.

the apps they do have work well though.  the gps i've found to be great, and is all-inclusive in price (which isn't always the case).

and i HATE having to go through itunes to add music, ringtones, wallpaper, pictures, etc to my phone.  The fact that I can simply plug my Pre into a usb slot, have it show up as a usb drive, and drag and drop mp3's into my ringtones folder and have it show up instantly is great.

overall, I like it.  compared to the old treo's it's a godsend.  To be able to drive down the highway streaming pandora while using the gps on my phone for navigation is a great convenience.  some of the polish that previously made palm great isn't yet there, but I attribute that more to being a 1.0 device than in inability of the platform.  I expect great things from palm and webos in the future, I just hope palm remains afloat as a company long enough for them to realize that. 

Here are some links you can look over for homebrew if you are interested... There is homebrew to change you notification sounds

http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/

http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/191008-simple-how-guide-getting-homebrew-apps-onto-your-pre-after-1-0-4-a.html

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/189712-my-home-screen-work-progress.html  (this Active Desktop looks great...not out yet though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQL8xZo-XKs   (video of active desktop)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:25:28 PM by SPURSX3 »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:31 PM »
lol.  you use the kanomi code to enter developer mode.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »
I played around with it at the Sprint store and I was not all the impressed.  This was supposed to be the smart phone for me to finally make the leap.  I don't see the big value of it over a blackberry, it actually felt cheap, I had the first ever palm phone and it was solid, bulky but solid.  The blackberry and treo feel like they were made in Japan, the Palm feels like it was "Hecho en Mexico".

Just my phone-novice opinion.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »
lol.  you use the kanomi code to enter developer mode.

Yeah, that is funny.  But it IS the way to get developer mode.  Crazy... :P

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 04:48:43 PM »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:18 PM »
Doubletwist works Derek, just use USB connect instead of media sync and you can drag and drop music, you may want to remove using itunes before though.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »
WebOS 1.1 update re-enables itunes media sync... 8)