Author Topic: Uh oh! Blazers offer Milsap a 4 year contract.  (Read 2031 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Uh oh! Blazers offer Milsap a 4 year contract.
« on: July 10, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »
That's playing dirty pool since the Blazers are part of the deal that will move the Jazz PF to the Bulls.  If I were the Jazz I would pull out of the trade to get the Blazers Hinrich.  The deal for Boozer sounds shakey already since the Bulls are asking for different players in return.  Maybe this offer indicates the trade is off.  I don't get the offer, Milsap would be a back up.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Uh oh! Blazers offer Milsap a 4 year contract.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:32:15 AM »
I looked up the numbers, and in my opinion Millsap had a better year than Aldridge.  That was last year, in a different system, but even still it was better.

Maybe this is an attempt to force Utah into the other deal, or let Millsap go.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »
I looked up the numbers, and in my opinion Millsap had a better year than Aldridge.  That was last year, in a different system, but even still it was better.

But ziggs, what's more important to the Blazers, a starting quality PG or a back at the PF?  I'm confused by this move, the Jazz should pull out of the deal if they are left without a PF.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »

But ziggs, what's more important to the Blazers, a starting quality PG or a back at the PF?  I'm confused by this move, the Jazz should pull out of the deal if they are left without a PF.

I see 5 areas where the Blazers need to improve.

#1 - They need to improve their defense.  They were the worst defensive team in the playoffs.

#2 - They need to find ways to initiate the offense from players other than Brandon Roy.

#3 - They need to be able to score points on the low block, and in post ups.

#4 - They need to create more transition opportunities

#5 - They need to be a more consistent rebounding team.

#1 - Further maturation of Greg Oden may help in this regard, and I believe Martell Webster has teh potential to be an improvement over Travis Outlaw. Millsap is a substantial defensive upgrade over Travis Outlaw or Channing Frye.  This move helps in improving our defense, but that is not the reason we are trying to get Millsap.

#2 - Millsap doesn't help much in regards to #2.  I have made my opinions clear on who I would prefer with regards to this, and that is Hinrich.  Hinrich would also help greatly in #1 as well.  Odom would be a far better option than Millsap.

#3 - This where Millsap really helps us.  This will make us better.  Hinrich would also help in this regard, in that he can direct the pick and rolls very effectively.

#4 - Millsap won't help a lot here, other than help in rebounding.  This is an area where Hinrich and Odom would really help.

#5 - Big advantage with Milsap, but Odom is a very good rebounder.

Personally I would have loved to have us pull off an Odom/Hinrich move, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.  I wouldn't give up Bayless to get Hinrich, because I believe Bayless will be a very good NBA player.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:43:10 AM »
Utah matched so what do the Blazers do now?  Do they go after Odom or what zigs?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 12:18:03 PM »
Go after Lee.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »
What about going after Boozer?  :D
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »
Utah matched so what do the Blazers do now?  Do they go after Odom or what zigs?

I have heard nothing at this point.  I have said all along that I believe the Blazers have a deal in place or some kind of understanding to get Kirk Hinrich.  The reason that hasn't happened yet is because of cap space.  The Blazers don't want to burn up their cap space on a trade, they want to sign a player, and then do a deal after that, involving players to get Hinrich.

I did read they had a lot of interest in Lee, but he wanted to much money.  I don't see any chance of the Blazers doing a deal with Lee unless it is a sign and trade, because they don't want to waste another week.

As far as Odom, I think he makes sense, especially if we have a deal for a guard in place.  I guess we shall see.

AA Mil