Author Topic: OT- Did Anyone try Windows 7??  (Read 2206 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT- Did Anyone try Windows 7??
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »
I never got around to it.  Just wondering if the upgrade is worth buying since it is cheaper to order right now rather than wait until later.  Plus, I am also curious about what Google's Chrome OS will look like in 2010.  I have a feeling it would be better to wait.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT- Did Anyone try Windows 7??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
It's Vista for the most part, with small improvements here and there.  It is lighter and does run more smooth but I don't know if you want to jump on it right away.  I am starting to fall into that old school mentality where im like 'F it!  XP runs perfectly fine for me and there is no reason for me to switch at the moment'

The Google OS is going to be linux so it's not really a 'Google OS' as much as it is a Google Branded Linux.  I think non tech savy people are going to be mislead thinking this is something that it is not.   More Ubuntu-esque (non linux users this is the easiest out of the box Linux installation) than most other Linux OS you might see but still Linux.  Problem is I am not all that happy with Chrome as a browser.  They could have focused in on making this a better browser first and working on an OS second.  Who am I to tell them what to do tho? LOL.  If the OS runs like Chrome's browser, I won't flinch at it personally.  Netbooks are also not my cup of tea.  I prefer a full PC or a mobile solution on a cell phone.  Not an inbetweener.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:28:24 PM »
I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of 7 from everyone at the office who has tried it.  It's basically a fast and efficient version of Vista with a lot of the bugs worked out.  I will probably make the leap from XP to Windows 7 when I HAVE to.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »
I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of 7 from everyone at the office who has tried it.  It's basically a fast and efficient version of Vista with a lot of the bugs worked out.  I will probably make the leap from XP to Windows 7 when I HAVE to.

I was at a conference where the only warning about 7 is this:

XP will not upgrade to it.  You have to wipe out XP and install 7 new (or upgrade to Vista then upgrade to 7).  Vista will upgrade directly.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:59:14 PM »

I was at a conference where the only warning about 7 is this:

XP will not upgrade to it.  You have to wipe out XP and install 7 new (or upgrade to Vista then upgrade to 7).  Vista will upgrade directly.

Yeah.  I read somewhere the pre-order would run me about 60.00.  after it is released it would be 180.00-200.00 range.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
It's Vista for the most part, with small improvements here and there.  It is lighter and does run more smooth but I don't know if you want to jump on it right away.  I am starting to fall into that old school mentality where im like 'F it!  XP runs perfectly fine for me and there is no reason for me to switch at the moment'

The Google OS is going to be linux so it's not really a 'Google OS' as much as it is a Google Branded Linux.  I think non tech savy people are going to be mislead thinking this is something that it is not.   More Ubuntu-esque (non linux users this is the easiest out of the box Linux installation) than most other Linux OS you might see but still Linux.  Problem is I am not all that happy with Chrome as a browser.  They could have focused in on making this a better browser first and working on an OS second.  Who am I to tell them what to do tho? LOL.  If the OS runs like Chrome's browser, I won't flinch at it personally.  Netbooks are also not my cup of tea.  I prefer a full PC or a mobile solution on a cell phone.  Not an inbetweener.

You think when Chrome OS crashes it will say, "OH SNAP!!  Your computer done broke!"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:11:23 PM »
I have a full subscription to MSDN and so I have been fiddling with it for some time. I am running both the 32 and the 64 bit versions on eval desktops and laptops and I must say, so far so good. I am about ready to put the 64 bit eval release on my working machines I am that impressed.

All my posted impressions here are based on the 64 bit version but there is no reason to doubt much of this will apply to 32 bit as well, with the exception of RAM capability which is where the difference is dramatic. But as far as stability is concerned one is as good as the other.

I am not one to jump to the latest greatest as soon as it hits the streets, I ran 2000 Pro until I simply could no longer justify it, it was (and still is) simply the most stable OS MS ever came up with. But benchmarking 7 leaves me fairly convinced that Microsoft finally got one right, this is what Vista SHOULD have been. I LOOOOVE being able to load all the RAM I want into the PC because of the 64 bit architecture and utilize every last bit of it, my big AMD desktop will be running 32 GB of RAM on a quad core ASUS board and if my lab PC is any  indication, it will be the most screaming machine I have ever built.

Not terribly crazy about the GUI on it in some aspects, I am a 2000 classic kind of guy, the look and feel is so much more intuitive but the eval release of 7 so far doesn't give you the customization capabilities to recreate the look and feel you want. Plus I HATE the new version of IE, not that I use it but Windows 7 forces Firefox to uses the same header displays, which annoys the daylights out of me.

Windows 7 in 64 bit utilizes its resources very efficiently, especially if you have a very robust MOBO with a big northbridge and lots of pipeline, it tends to be a RAM hog but when you have no limitations to how much RAM you can run it is a non issue. The laptop I installed 64 bit on is only capable of 2 GB of RAM and even at idle it soaks up 45-53% of that, but the way it loads into RAM it frees up the CPU to really realize its potential (except for the first minute or 2 coming out of hibernation), this laptop runs a 1.6 duo core Intel but it is running much, much faster. more like a 2.8, benchmarks have it about 32% quicker than when it was running 32 bit XP Pro, and it is loaded with background apps (hence the RAM issue) and is still remarkably faster.

It is a huge OS, the 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate, which I am running, full install is about 18 GB on the drive, and I wouldn't recommend less than 8 MB of cache on the drive, 16 would be better, and no less than 7200 RPM, desktop or laptop. I run a 320 GB WD Black, 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache 3.0GB/sec on my working laptop, and a 150 GB, 10,000 RPM WD Raptor as my boot drive on the desktop, this will give the OS all the it needs, and the Raptors have come down in price.

I wouldn't waste my time with that bloated and ridiculous new version of Office. 2003 Pro is waaay easier to use.

Anyway, just my opinion.
Dan