Author Topic: Rasheed says he will sign with the Celtics.  (Read 6755 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Rasheed says he will sign with the Celtics.
« on: July 06, 2009, 01:05:34 AM »
I really don't get this signing.  Sheed doesn't even crack the starting lineup so I don't know what he expects to contribute.  Sheed on the Cavs or the Spurs made a lot more sense to me, he would be a starter and possible the player that puts them over the top.  Sheed is going to be content comming off the bench?  Is Sheed going for 6th man of the year?  Sheed is the perfect fit for the Cavs or Spurs, on the Celtics he's a fifth toe.

Agent: Wallace commits to Celtics

Free Agent forward Rasheed Wallace is expected to sign a two-year deal at the mid-level exception with Boston

Rasheed Wallace is joining the Boston Celtics, giving the Celtics one of the most important free agents on the marketplace as they attempt to return to the championship.

Bill Strickland, Wallace's agent, told the Boston Herald and the Boston Globe on Sunday night that the 34-year-old forward told him to call off meetings the agent was in the process of scheduling with the Orlando Magic, San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks.

The Boston Globe reported Wallace will sign for two years at the mid-level exception.

Wallace won a championship with the Detroit Pistons in 2004 after arriving in a mid-season trade, although his career has been noted just as much for his volatile interactions with officials and contentious relationships with coaches. However, the strong presence of veterans such as Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in the Celtics' locker room should keep Wallace in line and bring the focus to his positive attributes: the 6-foot-11 Wallace is a scoring threat from the low block to the 3-point arc and a long-armed, savvy defender.

"As much as Rasheed's a headache, teammakes like him and he's a winner," an NBA executive said.

After trade rumors involving Allen and Rajon Rondo surfaced last month it appeared the Celtics might be trying to shift on the fly, at the risk of breaking up the core that won the 2008 NBA championship. Now they have landed a piece that makes them a prime contender to win again next season, with an emphasis on the short term. Wallace will be 35 in September and made joining a championship-caliber team a priority this offseason.

But Boston was always the leading contender, a positioned strengthened by a dinner meeting with Wallace involving Garnett, Pierce, Allen, coach Doc Rivers and owner Wyc Grousbeck last week.

Wallace restores frontcourt depth to the Celtics, who did not extend a qualifying offer to Leon Powe and could lose restricted free agent Glen Davis if another team signs him to a contract the Celtics decide not to match.

Both Boston papers are also reporting that the Celtics may be interested in signing Grant Hill, who averaged 12 points and 4.9 rebounds for the Phoenix Suns last season.

J.A. Adande is a columnist for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Rasheed says he will sign with the Celtics.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »
sheed/kg/perkins might be the best defensive big man rotation in the league.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:40:24 AM »

No doubt they COULD be the best front line in the league but how often will they be on the court together?  Who are you going to bench in favor of Sheed?  Allen, Rondo, or Perkins?  Even at the close of games in money time, who sits and who plays?  Not a good macth IMO, Cavs and Spurs made MUCH more sense.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:01:32 AM »

No doubt they COULD be the best front line in the league but how often will they be on the court together?  Who are you going to bench in favor of Sheed?  Allen, Rondo, or Perkins?  Even at the close of games in money time, who sits and who plays?  Not a good macth IMO, Cavs and Spurs made MUCH more sense.

I would imagine Sheed would be the first guy off the bench.  KG/Perkins start with Perkins getting the role as primary defender in the paint.  Since he tends to hit the bench faster than others due to whistles or just being gassed makes sense to just bring Sheed off the bench.  Have KG slide down to center and let Sheed operate in the same space KG use to.  They have a similar game as far as being a tall, lengthy guy who has a good jumper.  Sheed actually has more range than KG so the offense really wouldn't change all that much.  Thats perfect IMO.  If you can bring guys in and continue to run the same plays it works to your benefit execution wise.  As far as defensively, I agree with DB.  That would be the best big man rotation in the league bar none.  I don't think any team comes even close at this point.

Btw isn't the 'Sheed is a hot head' line kind of old now?  Or however you want to phrase that.    To be fair he was a hot head in Portland but he has got older and calmed down.  He is a very passionate competitor but nowhere near some kind of uncontrollable bull who will charge you any moment.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:05:56 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:19:10 AM »
Sheed is getting older and has a lot of miles on those legs. So does Garnett.  This move will let them extend these players careers, by limiting their minutes. As long as their winning, the ego's won't be a problem.

IMO, Sheed will be fine coming off the bench.  But I would expect to see Garnett and Sheed on the floor at the same time at the end of games and in special situations.

This is a move directed straight at the Lakers and Cavs, IMO.  Gasol, Bynum and Odom are a tough nut to crack. Now Boston can through Garnett, Wallace and Pierce at them.  Better than Garnett, Perkins and Pierce, which they can still use.

Better than Davis or Powe too.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:56:05 AM »
I'm with WayOut;  I don't get this, either from Boston's point or from Wallace's point.

San Antonio, Cleveland, Orlando (let's not forget about them), Dallas, and New Orleans are all better fits for Wallace.  With the Celtics, he's an after-thought.  Rasheed doesn't like playing center, and in Boston, that's what he'll be asked to do, unless he's filling in for Garnett, in which case, the Celtics are very, very ordinary.  My thought was Orlando would be a great place for him; all of a sudden, you've gone from Nelson-Lee-Turkoglu-Lewis-Howard to Nelson-Carter-Lewis-Wallace-Howard - and that's a HUGE upgrade in size, rebounding, and defense (especially shot-blocking).  And after losing Battie, the Magic need another big man.  Wallace, who has 3-point range PLUS an inside game, fits the bill perfectly.

From Boston's point-of-view, you've now got an older Wallace taking minutes from a solid Powe and a developing Davis, who played exceptionally well at times during the playoffs.  Development and integration of the younger guys - rather than potentially losing them as free agents - should have been the priority for the Celtics if they want to sustain success.

This is just a bad move by Wallace, and a high-risk, short-term move by Boston.  I don't like it.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:56 AM »
No doubt they COULD be the best front line in the league but how often will they be on the court together?

That's why I said rotation and not starting lineup....

The ability to have a guy come in for 25-30 minutes, spell both positions, and still not lose much defensively is a huge bonus.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:02:56 AM »
Powe is hurt and won't be able to play until next year, not by the start of the upcoming season. No one will pick up an injured player.  Davis wants more money than the Celtics are willing to give. If someone offers him MLE money or better, he's gone.

Celtics had to do this to stay competitive inside, as did Cleveland.  I'm not sure that it will work, adding players who were real stars five years ago, but it's understandable.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:16:16 AM »
I'm with WayOut;  I don't get this, either from Boston's point or from Wallace's point.

San Antonio, Cleveland, Orlando (let's not forget about them), Dallas, and New Orleans are all better fits for Wallace.  With the Celtics, he's an after-thought.  Rasheed doesn't like playing center, and in Boston, that's what he'll be asked to do, unless he's filling in for Garnett, in which case, the Celtics are very, very ordinary.  My thought was Orlando would be a great place for him; all of a sudden, you've gone from Nelson-Lee-Turkoglu-Lewis-Howard to Nelson-Carter-Lewis-Wallace-Howard - and that's a HUGE upgrade in size, rebounding, and defense (especially shot-blocking).  And after losing Battie, the Magic need another big man.  Wallace, who has 3-point range PLUS an inside game, fits the bill perfectly.

From Boston's point-of-view, you've now got an older Wallace taking minutes from a solid Powe and a developing Davis, who played exceptionally well at times during the playoffs.  Development and integration of the younger guys - rather than potentially losing them as free agents - should have been the priority for the Celtics if they want to sustain success.

This is just a bad move by Wallace, and a high-risk, short-term move by Boston.  I don't like it.

Why would he play center?  Perkins plays it now.  If Perkins goes out for Sheed why wouldn't Garnett slide to the center position?  He is the bigger player and better shot blocker.

As for Davis, they were relying on him to hit jumpers.  Would you rather see Rasheed Wallace taking jumpers or Glen Davis? 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 12:11:11 PM »
Why would he play center?  Perkins plays it now.  If Perkins goes out for Sheed why wouldn't Garnett slide to the center position?  He is the bigger player and better shot blocker.

As for Davis, they were relying on him to hit jumpers.  Would you rather see Rasheed Wallace taking jumpers or Glen Davis? 

I think Sheed makes more sense at center because KG is still more mobile and a better help defender.  Rasheed's strength on defense is playing PF's strait up, even bigger ones like Duncan, so it make sense for him to guard C's.  KG is a better mid-range shooter but Rasheed can step out behind the 3 pt line so that will cause tons of problems for opposing centers in the league.

Clearly Rasheed is better than Davis at this point in their careers, his game is more versatile and he's a much better defender.  The problem is Rasheed is on his way out and you are probably losing a very good back up in Davis, who would probably be the starter in a few years cause KG is no spring chicken.  The Celtic's window is closing very quickly, they have to win now because there are no guarantees that they will be able to replace their aging stars.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 12:17:01 PM »

I think Sheed makes more sense at center because KG is still more mobile and a better help defender.  Rasheed's strength on defense is playing PF's strait up, even bigger ones like Duncan, so it make sense for him to guard C's.  KG is a better mid-range shooter but Rasheed can step out behind the 3 pt line so that will cause tons of problems for opposing centers in the league.

Clearly Rasheed is better than Davis at this point in their careers, his game is more versatile and he's a much better defender.  The problem is Rasheed is on his way out and you are probably losing a very good back up in Davis, who would probably be the starter in a few years cause KG is no spring chicken.  The Celtic's window is closing very quickly, they have to win now because there are no guarantees that they will be able to replace their aging stars.

I agree with the notion that you are giving up a young player who can improve for one who is on his way out.  I also agree that their is a window for the current Celtics team (same with Lakers/Spurs) due to their leaders being 30+.  I think that's why the trade makes sense.  In order to get the most out of this window they make a trade for now and sacrifice what Davis would be later.  Even if Davis develops his game and it goes up 2 notches when Garnett/Allen/Pierce get broken up it wouldn't matter as far as winning titles goes.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »
But it will make a difference in the team being competitive, and therefore able to attract replacements.

How many players of high caliber leave to go to teams in desperate need of help?
Joe

-----------

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 02:22:05 PM »
But will Bosotn still be competitive.  They will have 3 starters over 32 at the beginning of the season and a key reserve (Wallace) is 35.  They could lose Glen in FA and Powe is injured.  Who backs up the guard spots?  Eddie House at age 31?  Where is the depth/bench that allows them to still be competitive for 2-3 years?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 03:27:45 PM »
Lurker,

I think they could still have been competitive had they developed Davis and Powe.  Add to that Perkins and Rondo, and you now have a core with which to attract a young star to replace the older stars.  And one assumes that Garnett, Allen, and Pierce don't all retire at the same time.

Obviously, moves like bringing in Marbury impact future viability negatively, but as they have no young option at point, that's more understandable (although still despicable).  But signing a veteran big man who is going to command minutes when you've got two young, developing big men on the bench who will lose those minutes is a tremendous mistake.
Joe

-----------

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »
Lurker,

I think they could still have been competitive had they developed Davis and Powe.  Add to that Perkins and Rondo, and you now have a core with which to attract a young star to replace the older stars.  And one assumes that Garnett, Allen, and Pierce don't all retire at the same time.

Obviously, moves like bringing in Marbury impact future viability negatively, but as they have no young option at point, that's more understandable (although still despicable).  But signing a veteran big man who is going to command minutes when you've got two young, developing big men on the bench who will lose those minutes is a tremendous mistake.

Ah, I misunderstood your point, Joe.  I agree that they had young players to develop but it appears they have given up on them to pursue the NOW.  I thought you meant they still had a chance to still attract players by winning for a couple years with the aging stars.  But IMO Boston has set themselves up for another long period of hoping for lottery winnings.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues