Author Topic: Hedo rejects Blazers offer and ends nogotiations?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hedo rejects Blazers offer and ends nogotiations?
« on: July 03, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/hedo_turkoglu_rejects_blazers.html

Hedo Turkoglu rejects Blazers, ends negotiations
Posted by Jason Quick, The Oregonian July 03, 2009 17:57PM
Categories: Breaking News

The Oregonian has learned that free agent forward Hedo Turkoglu has rejected an offer to sign with the Trail Blazers and has ended negotiations with the team.

He will leave town tomorrow morning.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Hedo rejects Blazers offer and ends nogotiations?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:26:23 PM »
Hedo Turkoglu rejects Blazers, ends negotiations
Posted by Jason Quick, The Oregonian July 03, 2009 17:57PM
Categories: Breaking News

After a hectic 24 hours of face-to-face negotiations, The Oregonian has learned that free agent forward Hedo Turkoglu rejected the Trail Blazers' $50 million offer and announced he will look for another team.

"He's not coming,'' a source familiar with the negotiations said Friday evening.

In the end, it wasn't the money, it wasn't the team, and it wasn't the length of the contract.

"It just wasn't the right fit,'' the source said. "When you are talking about that much money, everybody involved has to feel great. If you don't on either side, it doesn't work.''

ESPN's Ric Bucher reported that Turkoglu's wife played a major factor in the decision, as she preferred living in Toronto more than she did Portland. The Raptors were the Blazers' staunchest opponent in the race to sign the 6-foot-10 forward, and appear to be the likely destination for the 30-year-old.

Agent Lon Babby was unavailable for comment.

It capped a wild day of erroneous reports that Turkoglu had reached an agreement with the Blazers. The first reports sprouted around noon on Friday, which was about the time a source inside the Blazers expressed concern that Toronto was making a late push. Toronto had the ability to offer Turkoglu more money than the Blazers, but would have to renounce several key players to do so.

The Blazers tabled an offer of $50 million for five years, but by 5:30 p.m., they were rejected and informed the negotiations were done.

Where the Blazers turn now is unclear.

Because the team is set with franchise players at shooting guard (Brandon Roy and Rudy Fernandez), power forward (LaMarcus Aldridge) and center (Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla) it is likely the team goes for a point guard, small forward or backup power forward.

The team had interest in signing Trevor Ariza, but the former Lakers forward agreed in principle Thursday night with Houston. Andre Miller is a free agent point guard and Paul Millsap, Brandon Bass and Antonio McDyess are quality power forwards who are free agents.

However, since the Blazers expect to be anywhere from $8 million to $10 million under the league's salary cap when it is announced July 7, they can execute an uneven trade with a team. That means they can take on a player with a higher contract than the player they give away.

That the Blazers were even addressing Plan B was a blow. They had targeted Turkoglu from the minute the free agent market opened, calling agent Lon Babby the first minute league rules allowed.

Turkoglu had recently opted out of the last year of his contract with Orlando, which would have paid him $7.3 million. In the same week, the Magic executed a draft-night trade for Vince Carter, who plays the same position as Turkoglu.

The Blazers figured Turkoglu would have given them one of the tallest starting lineups in the league, with a frontline consisting of 7-foot-1 Joel Przybilla or 7-foot Greg Oden at center, the 6-foot-11 LaMarcus Aldridge at power forward and Turkoglu at 6-10.

Team personnel raved about Turkoglu's basketball intelligence, and his ability to run the pick-and-roll. They also felt Turkoglu's nine-years in the NBA would have provided the young Blazers the experience and "know how" McMillan has been pining for the past three seasons. Turkogly had played in 82 playoff games, including 24 this season, when he averaged a well-rounded 15.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.8 assists. In the regular season, he averaged 16.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 4.9 assists.

His best season was 2007-2008, when he was voted the NBA's Most Improved Player after averaging a career-high 19.5 points to go along with 5.7 rebounds and 5.0 assists.

But in the end, it just didn't fit.

Thirty minutes after Turkoglu rejected the offer, the Blazers were believed to be back on the phone lines.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 11:22:42 PM »
Well this could turn out OK.  Looks like he is going to Toronto, and to do that Toronto needs to renounce a number of FA, including Shawn Marion.  I would prefer Marion in any case.  He can play PF, is a better rebounder, defender and shot blocker.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 11:41:08 PM »
Well this could turn out OK.  Looks like he is going to Toronto, and to do that Toronto needs to renounce a number of FA, including Shawn Marion.  I would prefer Marion in any case.  He can play PF, is a better rebounder, defender and shot blocker.

But you guys already have Aldridge.  The Blazers have one too many SF's so even Marion's ability to go PF/SF doesn't help much.  I think it would be a mistake for the Blazers to go after anyone other than a PG.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 12:06:57 AM »

But you guys already have Aldridge.  The Blazers have one too many SF's so even Marion's ability to go PF/SF doesn't help much.  I think it would be a mistake for the Blazers to go after anyone other than a PG.

There aren't many PG options in FA, Mike Bibby would be a best case scenario.  Portland does have $4.6 million in trade exceptions, as well as players like Outlaw and Webster they can trade to get PG.  Marion would be a SF, but he could be a back up to Aldridge, and that makes the rotations work out much better.  I like his defense, and his rebounding.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »
This also opens up the opportunity to go after David Lee.  I like Lee's game, and I think we also be an excellent fit.  Great rebounder, and he can score in the low post.  He is also excellent insurance against an injury to Aldridge, or if Aldridge decides to sign somewhere else.

I understand the Blazers desire to get Hedo, but I believe that offense wasn't their undoing it was their defense, and their inability to rebound effectively against Houston.

Each of the 3 FA offered something we needed
Hedo was hoped to improve our low post scoring in p&r with Oden.  Perhaps we can get that through a better P&R PG, such as Hinrich or Harris.

Marion would not help us in the P&R as much, but he would improve our fast break offense, which was very poor last year.  He would also help on defense, which was poor last year.

Lee would help us defensively, add to our rebounding advantage, and wopuld give us a low post scorer we need desperately.

We shall see.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »

There aren't many PG options in FA, Mike Bibby would be a best case scenario.  Portland does have $4.6 million in trade exceptions, as well as players like Outlaw and Webster they can trade to get PG.  Marion would be a SF, but he could be a back up to Aldridge, and that makes the rotations work out much better.  I like his defense, and his rebounding.

You think a guy who wanted off an awesome team like the Suns because he felt like he was 'the man' is going to play second fiddle to a guy whos name doesn't ring the same bells around the league?

To be quite honest, I didn't quite see what direction that the Blazers wanted to go by tossing all those millions at Hedo for a long period of time. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »
To be quite honest, I didn't quite see what direction that the Blazers wanted to go by tossing all those millions at Hedo for a long period of time. 

Agreed.  I'm starting to think the Blazers fell into their position of having a young talented team, they don't seem to know squat about managing talent.  Why they are not 1,000 and 10% focused on a PG is beyond me.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »

Agreed.  I'm starting to think the Blazers fell into their position of having a young talented team, they don't seem to know squat about managing talent.  Why they are not 1,000 and 10% focused on a PG is beyond me.

I agree that PG is a more important issue, but the options in FA are not that great.  I believe that they want to focus on PG through a trade.  With $4.6 in trade exemptions, plus lots of players they can pull it off.

As far as Hedo or any other SF, it is simple.  You get one shot at signing FA for more than the mid-level once every 6-8 years.  They will not be able to do it next year, because they will have committed big $ to Roy and hopefully Aldridge this summer and won't have cap space.

As far as Marion, I don't think was about him wanting to be the man, it was about him getting a multi-year extension.  Phx didn't want to commit so he moved on, so his new team would have his bird rights and he would have a better chance at getting a multi-year extension.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »

As far as Hedo or any other SF, it is simple.  You get one shot at signing FA for more than the mid-level once every 6-8 years.  They will not be able to do it next year, because they will have committed big $ to Roy and hopefully Aldridge this summer and won't have cap space.
Hedo had close to a fantastic Finals.  Were it not for his own free throws choke job in the Game 4 Giveaway and Stan Van Gruntys horrific coaching job, Hedo may have been the Finals MVP instead of Gasol/Jameer Nelson.

Would Nate have utilized Hedo correctly in Portland?  We'll never know.  Wish he would go to a stronger contender then Toronto.