Author Topic: Finley decided to return to Spurs  (Read 2407 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Finley decided to return to Spurs
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4297528

"The 36-year-old Finley held the option on his contract for the 2009-10 season, which will be his fifth in San Antonio. The team announced Finley's decision Tuesday."

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Finley decided to return to Spurs
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »

"The 36-year-old Finley held the option on his contract for the 2009-10 season, which will be his fifth in San Antonio. The team announced Finley's decision Tuesday."

I think there was very little doubt Finley would walk away from that kind of money in today's market.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »

I think there was very little doubt Finley would walk away from that kind of money in today's market.

$2.5 million...sounds like a lot to us fans but it is chicken feed to professional athletes.

From the local newsrag...

Finley, 36, played in 81 games for the Spurs last season, starting all but four of those. He averaged 9.7 points, while enjoying the most accurate shooting season of his Spurs tenure ? he hit 43.7 percent from the field and a career-best 41.1 percent from 3-point range.

Finley, who is due $2.5 million from the Spurs in 2009-10, could have opted out of the final year of his deal to test the free-agent waters. In a soft market, however, he was unlikely to find a more lucrative contract than the one the Spurs already owed him.

If Finley, as expected, elects to return to the Spurs, he will be asked to fill a different role than in previous seasons. Newly acquired forward Richard Jefferson, snagged in a trade with the Milwaukee Bucks last week, is likely to siphon a good deal of his shots and minutes.

Had to bold a section for the poster who is ignored...

Of course he will rant about something else but then that's expected.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »
^Defense wins Championships.

Oh it doesn't?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »

If he was going to walk it would have been away from the game altogether, was my understanding.  I thought there was a chance he might.  While you are right that is solid money for this league right now I am not sure if Finley is sweating over a few million bucks. 

I like Finley and continue to say he is a solid contributor.  Obviously he is going to take a hit in minutes and he SHOULD considering who they picked up and his age.  If he came off the bench for 10 minutes and played anywhere near what he did last year the Spurs should be more than pleased.

Question though...doesn't this put them over the salary cap?  I thought someone posted an article saying the Spurs would have to pay the luxury tax if Finley returned.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »
I love Finley n Pop and would do anything for them.  Anything.
Could the basketball *gods* make Buford and Poppycock package Bonner n Finleys expirings for some real playoff players?
Could Presti be brought back to the Spurs front office for some real moves?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
Quote from: Lurker link=topic=5722.msg63673#msg63673 date=1246397745
Finley, 36, played in 81 games for the Spurs last season, starting all but four of those. He averaged 9.7 points, [b
while enjoying the most accurate shooting season of his Spurs tenure ? he hit 43.7 percent from the field and a career-best 41.1 percent from 3-point range.[/b]

Finley, who is due $2.5 million from the Spurs in 2009-10, could have opted out of the final year of his deal to test the free-agent waters. In a soft market, however, he was unlikely to find a more lucrative contract than the one the Spurs already owed him.
Bruce SuperBowens 2009 Playoff stats:
.538 fg .556 treys .731 adj fg%

Combine forces with the office gals on Bruces' playoff stats.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 07:03:06 PM »
I know that the Free agent market is not open until tomorrow but anyone else get the feeling Finley saw the trade for Jefferson and thought 'Hay I could get a  ring this upcoming season, I should go along for the ride' LOL

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »

If he was going to walk it would have been away from the game altogether, was my understanding.  I thought there was a chance he might.  While you are right that is solid money for this league right now I am not sure if Finley is sweating over a few million bucks. 

I like Finley and continue to say he is a solid contributor.  Obviously he is going to take a hit in minutes and he SHOULD considering who they picked up and his age.  If he came off the bench for 10 minutes and played anywhere near what he did last year the Spurs should be more than pleased.

Question though...doesn't this put them over the salary cap?  I thought someone posted an article saying the Spurs would have to pay the luxury tax if Finley returned.

I think it was me that posted the article about the Spurs salary situation this year.  I believe the Spurs will be in the luxury tax this year, and it is fine with the owners, suppossedly word was given to R.C. Buford for a green light to go after R. Jefferson and take us over.  Est. Spurs payroll should be around 90 million, that's after all spots filled, mle, lle used up, possibly one more player (Rasheed and his 8 mill?)  The team already figured Finley would be back.  2.5 mill, why not? 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.