Author Topic: Anyone hear about the Mavs video antics?  (Read 4441 times)

Anyone hear about the Mavs video antics?
« on: April 26, 2004, 08:01:34 PM »
From ESPN.com

Fining teams for in-game video antics is not Jackson's department, but the league is indeed investigating a cartoon skit the Mavericks aired before Saturday's tipoff that featured likenesses of Doug Christie on a leash tugged by his wife and Chris Webber being showered with money from the University of Michigan. Kings players haven't said much publicly about the cartoon, but sources indicate that more than a few were more than a bit peeved. The Mavericks know a fine is inevitably coming, although Mark Cuban is bound to see it as money well spent.

Cuban obviously has WAY too much money and it might not be so funny if it weren't true in both cases.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 08:02:40 PM »
Sorry, that was Randy -- don't know how I got logged out.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 08:41:23 PM »
Funny or not (and I tend to think it's funny) it's bush-league and classless.  Of course, Sac burned a Laker jersey that was on a dummy in the 1st round of the playoffs in 2000, so maybe it's karma coming back around again.  

In all seriousness, when Dallas does that cartoon, or Utah shows their little cartoon with a Malone impersonator saying, "it could be worse, I could be K---", it belittles the game.  These organization's need to realize that if they want to establish any tradition and not be looked at as a second tier franchise, they need to due away with the bush-league antics.  You'd never see the Celtics, Lakers or Pistons pulling this kind of crap.  

Speaking of class, nice move by Houston fans chanting "Kobe sucks" while he was down on the floor holding his eye that had just been accidentally poked by Steve Francis.  It's one thing to chant it while he's up and playing, but while he's injured?!?   Where are we, Philly?  Has it been that long since the Olajuwan, Drexler, Tomjanovich days that the fans have forgotten their way?

Meanwhile, the "Franchise", who does more to hurt his team than help it even with a triple double, is grandstanding and dancing after he makes a shot while his team is down 12 in the third and about to go down 3-1.  Note to Steve Francis:  Put up or shut up, your freelancing and turnovers down the stretch have KILLED your team and your team would maybe be up 3-1 if not for your selfish play.  The Lakers are sucking big time right now and are not beating you ... you're beating yourself.  It's no wonder many Rocket fans were wanting to trade your butt this season.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 12:29:05 AM »
You'd never see the Celtics, Lakers or Pistons pulling this kind of crap.  

You can pull the Lakers and Pistons out of that group.  Pistons loved showing hard take downs of players durring their bad boy days.  Recently the Lakers got taken to task for airing that Malone elbow to Nash's face.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 07:56:30 AM »
Can't say that I have a problem with it.

It's competition, they're the bad guy, if you can get under their skin and disrupt them, that's gaining a competitive edge (which still obviously can't make the mavs play defense, however).

If Ms. Christie has a problem with it, then he should grow a pair and become the man of the house :)

Seriously, if David Letterman does this, he's a funny comedian.  When they do this (to a much larger audience), I don't feel sorry for the guys.  I don't feel sorry for them now either.

sf101

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 09:07:16 AM »
Agree. All's fair in love and basketball. (Except going for a best friends ex chick. That's just wrong. (sniff, sniff)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 09:14:21 AM »
From ESPN.com

Fining teams for in-game video antics is not Jackson's department, but the league is indeed investigating a cartoon skit the Mavericks aired before Saturday's tipoff that featured likenesses of Doug Christie on a leash tugged by his wife and Chris Webber being showered with money from the University of Michigan. Kings players haven't said much publicly about the cartoon, but sources indicate that more than a few were more than a bit peeved. The Mavericks know a fine is inevitably coming, although Mark Cuban is bound to see it as money well spent.

Cuban obviously has WAY too much money and it might not be so funny if it weren't true in both cases.
oh these pooooooooor wittle bittle millionaire ball pwayers and thier wittle hurt feeeeelwings......

some on man, it's just a rivalry cartoon.  this is about as lame as Karl Malone getting pissed off at the old Spurs pinata bash from back in the day.  we would make a pinata in the likeness of the oppossing teams best player and someone would come out and smash it.  will one year cry baby karl asked someone if he could see what it looked like before the game, the showed him , and he smashed it.  what a baby.  you would thiink these men can talk about being warriors and all that crap on the court and they let thier little feelings get all hurt......
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 09:45:29 AM »
I have no problem with it, it is marketing and hyping the game, period.

What the Jazz did earlier this year was a little over the line, and perhaps the thing with Webber by Dallas was as well, but typically this stuff is harmless smacktalk between teams. If Christie was a MAN and didn't have to ackowledge his ball and chain (literally) every chance the whipped little dog got, this wouldn't be a problem for him either. Dallas deserves no fine for this one, and I am one that thinks Cuban deserves a fine everyday just for being Cuban. Kansas City used to have a whinny like John Elway contest every year when the Broncos came to town, and they hung "horse face Elway" banners all over the place, big bloody deal!
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 10:20:31 AM »
The Lakers are sucking big time right now and are not beating you ... you're beating yourself.  It's no wonder many Rocket fans were wanting to trade your butt this season.
Fresh air reality post msc.

Thank you.

And dare i even ask what Spurs-Lakers playoff tickets are going for?

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »
And dare i even ask what Spurs-Lakers playoff tickets are going for?

Not sure for Spurs/Lakers but games 1 & 2 of Rockets Lakers were being scalped for $150 for upper (300) level and $300 for middle (200) level.  I'd imagine Spurs series will fetch even more.  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 11:11:08 AM »
You can pull the Lakers and Pistons out of that group. Pistons loved showing hard take downs of players durring their bad boy days. Recently the Lakers got taken to task for airing that Malone elbow to Nash's face.

I'm alright with airing existing plays.  I just think the produced cartoons are cheezy and lame.  Just my opinion.  And I've never seen the Laker organization go out of their way to belittle a player or a team like Dallas did the other night and Utah did earlier in the season.  I'm okay with the hard take downs, especially in the playoffs.  I'm not sure when everyone became so sensitive to physical play.  I guess it was sometime during the Bad Boy era and the Jordan rules that ensued.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 11:15:43 AM »
Can't say that I have a problem with it.

It's competition, they're the bad guy, if you can get under their skin and disrupt them, that's gaining a competitive edge (which still obviously can't make the mavs play defense, however).

If Ms. Christie has a problem with it, then he should grow a pair and become the man of the house :)

Seriously, if David Letterman does this, he's a funny comedian.  When they do this (to a much larger audience), I don't feel sorry for the guys.  I don't feel sorry for them now either.
"IF" Ms. Christie, as you so stupidly call him, had a problem with it, he did not acknowledge it when asked, only saying "Whoever thought about it, it was pretty good. It's creative. It's comedy. That's my attitude. It's not that serious." That's how a professional handles these things.

However, on the court, he literally kicked the Mavericks' asses all over the place, even challenging 7'0" Dirk Nowitzki when Slackjaw started pawing at the ball Christie was holding during a stoppage of play, finally tossing it into his ugly mug and getting "T'd" up for it.

And for your information, Derek, Christie is a street fighter, of which the gas-filled Rick Fox had not been informed prior to mocking him in that preseason game two years ago and resulted in Fox getting humiliatingly whupped both on the court and later in the tunnel under the stands, and looooooong before the real Ms. Christie showed up.

Never judge Doug by the fact that he has a very close relationship with his wife to mean he can't take care of his own business. When you think about it, the reason people degrade him for it is likely because they will never have a relationship anywhere close to the type the Christie's have, so it logically follows that they, like so many other sheep in this country, follow their media leaders around sniffing their butts for little tibbits to fall their way and make them feel a collective part of something they otherwise could never experience.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 11:18:22 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 11:35:22 AM »
Thanks for your input Ms. JoMal.   :D

:ph34r:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 12:01:15 PM »
Thanks for your input Ms. JoMal.   :D

:ph34r:
Anytime, Shurker.

BTW, how do you tell the difference between the nuggets you 'pick' up following your own media leaders around and the naturally forming pebbles that form in your own nose? :o

;)  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 12:59:41 PM »
Test
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 01:12:02 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"