Author Topic: 2009 Draft Thread  (Read 9742 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: 2009 Draft Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »
Flynn and Rubio don't fit at all. That being said, I love Flynn.  Great athlete, tons of potential, and great person.  I generally think too many people are labeled "leaders" heading up to the draft, but he's a legit leader.  Just a good, high character kid.  You guys will love him.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
Flynn and Rubio don't fit at all. That being said, I love Flynn.  Great athlete, tons of potential, and great person.  I generally think too many people are labeled "leaders" heading up to the draft, but he's a legit leader.  Just a good, high character kid.  You guys will love him.

Is there any way to stretch Flynn and make him 5 inches taller?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »
Yep, I liked Flynn as soon as I saw him as freshman.   Then I saw the Five OT game against UConn and started to love him.  He's tough. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 01:39:33 PM »
So now Rubio is saying that he doesn't want to leave Spain for a few more years.....WOW.  All this because his dad and he made it clear he didn't want to go to Minnesota.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 02:07:55 PM »
Winner:  THE SPURS!

Blair with pick #37.  At the very least this guy will be back-up big guy who'll bang and board.  Jefferson for next to nothing.  The rich just keep on getting richer as always!  With Blair, they miss Thomas and Oberto a lot less, too. 

I like the Earl Clark pick for Phoenix, its a kid who looks like he enjoys getting after it.  Looks like a nice target for Nash in the run-n-gun system Gentry coach.

Thabeet may be a poor man's Dikembe Mutombo which isn't bad, but probably isn't worth #2.  As they say, if you're going to make a mistake in the draft.  Make it a BIG mistake.  One thing he's got going for him--UCONN is an NBA basketball FACTORY.  That program churns more quality NBA players than any other 2 programs put together.

Poor, poor, poor Stephen Curry.  Unless his agent finds a way to get him away from the murky depths of Golden State; he will become nothing in the NBA.  You heard it here folks.  I'm saying this loudly and clearly--Stephen Curry will become NOTHING in the NBA if he stays in Golden State.  The same nothing that Marco Belinelli is, mark my words.  Now if miraculously he escapes, he's got a chance.  The good thing is I think Curry knows this; I've never seen a look of abject dissapointment on a player's face while shaking hands with Stern. 

On the topic of Blake Griffin and the Los Angeles Clippers.  I was ready to think that maybe Griffin is a guy who'll help turn it around in LAC.  Then I read the article from the Sports Guy--nope they are the ever cursed Clippers.  Even more hopeless then I'd ever truly imagined once their history is broken down by details.  Poor, poor Blake Griffin--he might've been a contendor. 

On the overall, I didn't think this draft had any surefire bets.  Hard to get excited about many of the picks really.         
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »

Blair with pick #37.  At the very least this guy will be back-up big guy who'll bang and board.  Jefferson for next to nothing.  The rich just keep on getting richer as always!  With Blair, they miss Thomas and Oberto a lot less, too.

Isn't Blair 6'6" and has already had 2 ACL operations?  There was a reason he fell so far down in the draft. 

Thabeet may be a poor man's Dikembe Mutombo which isn't bad, but probably isn't worth #2.  As they say, if you're going to make a mistake in the draft.  Make it a BIG mistake.  One thing he's got going for him--UCONN is an NBA basketball FACTORY.  That program churns more quality NBA players than any other 2 programs put together.

And here I tought that distinction went to North Carolina.

On the topic of Blake Griffin and the Los Angeles Clippers.  I was ready to think that maybe Griffin is a guy who'll help turn it around in LAC.  Then I read the article from the Sports Guy--nope they are the ever cursed Clippers.  Even more hopeless then I'd ever truly imagined once their history is broken down by details.  Poor, poor Blake Griffin--he might've been a contendor. 

The talk around the water cooler is that Blake Griffin COULD have been a good player but now that he's got the Clippers stench all over him he will amount to nothing.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 03:20:11 PM »
Blake Griffin will get his time on the JV pro-squad we have in Los Angeles.  After his rookie contract is up he is as good as gone and will then break out.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »

Isn't Blair 6'6" and has already had 2 ACL operations?  There was a reason he fell so far down in the draft. 

Local paper lists him at 6'7"...but with a massive (7'3") wingspan.  The two knee surgeries could cut short his career but he looked good in the NCAA's on those "bad" knees.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »

Local paper lists him at 6'7"...but with a massive (7'3") wingspan.  The two knee surgeries could cut short his career but he looked good in the NCAA's on those "bad" knees.

Who was the guy that was going to be the next Sir Charles?  I think he might have been drafted by the Sixers, not sure who drafted him but he didn't develop into much.  He looked like a chubby-long-armed Matrix/Marion.  DANG!!!!  His name is on the tip of my toungue....
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »
Projected as a first-round pick, Blair?s stock fell due to red flags on his medical report. He played two seasons at Pitt on a pair of knees reconstructed in high school after twin ACL injuries.

"There's no secret there's a medical issue there," Buford said. "We were the fortunate recipient of that. We've got a great medical staff, and we'll have him on a great program here."

Lurker and Pop don't want him stealing minutes from Finley tho.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:08:46 PM by Reality »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »

Who was the guy that was going to be the next Sir Charles?  I think he might have been drafted by the Sixers, not sure who drafted him but he didn't develop into much.  He looked like a chubby-long-armed Matrix/Marion.  DANG!!!!  His name is on the tip of my toungue....

Spooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »
Lurker and Pop don't want him stealing minutes from Finley tho.

This is soooooooooooooooo ingorant that it has everyone in my office (including women who barely follow basketball) shaking their heads in amazement.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »

Derek is pretty smart about the draft, but I have to disagree about Flynn.  I just don't believe he will be a big time player.  It seems to me that much of the evaluation of him comes as a result of the 6 OT game.  I have heard that reference over and over.  He may have been otherworldly in that game, but one game doesn't make a star.
I look at this this way.  There were 10 or 11 PG's taken in the first round.  That was not because there were 10-11 stud PG, but because there weren't very many good wings or bigs.  So most of the PG moved up in the draft just for that reason.  At the same time there are always players who move up who shouldn't and players who slide who shouldn't.  I think Flynn moved up because of a lack of bigger players, and also he was one of those who moved up when he shouldn't have just within the draft.
The last draft with this lack of depth was 2006.  The 6th pick in 2006 was Brandon Roy.  There is no way Jonny Flynn will be comparable to Brandon Roy.  If Flynn had come out last year, he would not have come close to the lottery.

In my opinion Jrue Holliday at 17 to Philly will be a better player, and Flynn will be viewed as a bust when viewed as being taken at #6.  The guys taken 17-21 (all PG's) will be as a whole as good as Flynn.  To me it is hard to justify taking Flynn over those guys, and certainly 11 spots higher than those guys.  That is my opinion anyway.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »
I agree it seems like Flynn gets a tone of credit of the one 6 OT game. 

I'll disagree in that I don't think Jrue Holliday amounts to anything.  Too much is said of athleticism and potential and not enough about heart, leadership, production, and character.  The guy reminds too much of Javaris Crittendon.  In fact I think the guy picked 4 spots after him, and the player Ben Howland trusted to start over Holliday, Darren Collison turns out to be a better NBA pro than Holliday. 

=============================

And here I tought that distinction went to North Carolina.

WayOutWest, Carolina may churn out a lot of NBA players, but I made the distinction of "quality" NBA players in my post.  How many true UCONN busts have there been in the last decade:  Hilton Armstrong definitely.  Boone and Marcus Williams were selected late 1st round, and Khalid El-Amin was 2nd rounder.  Compare with Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler, Emeka Okafor, Charlie Villanueva, Ben Gordon, Rudy Gay; their track record with lottery picks is astounding.   

Now then Carolina churns a larger # of players, but too often those players don't really impact.  The one year, '05, where everyone made a big deal of 4 Carolina players in the lottery.  Ray Felton--decent, Marvin Williams--may be turning it around but at #2 considered a disappointment thus far, Sean May--BUST, Rashad McCants--Bad attitude BUST.  In 07, the lottery pick was Brandan Wright--BUST.  In '06, only guy was David Noel at #39--Who?  Nobody in '04.  Nobody in '03.  Nobody in '02.  In 2001, the two 1st round picks, Haywood--meh, and Joe Forte--BUST!  I think Carolina is riding by its reputation moreso than what its actually produced recently.  Of course now I'm waiting for Vancil to get on here screaming bloody murder.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:20:14 AM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
I'll disagree in that I don't think Jrue Holliday amounts to anything.  Too much is said of athleticism and potential and not enough about heart, leadership, production, and character.

Jrue has tons of heart, leadership and character.  As much as any PG in this draft, actually.  Very hard worker and very high bball IQ.  Unselfish to a fault.  And his athleticism's very underrated.  He's not the top-level run-jump athlete, he's not going to dunk over top of people, but he's very quick with a good first step and moves well laterally.  Of players drafted in the top 30, he had the second best time in the agility portion of the pre-draft combine. 

Combine that with being 6'4", an 8.45" standing reach, and a 6'7" wingspan, and you have one heck of an overall athlete.

Had Jrue played:
1) at a system better suited for him
2) His natural PG position

his production would have been worlds better, and he would have been a top-8 pick guaranteed. 

Jrue is a true pg.  he's not a combo guard.  he has a pass-first mentality, he is most productive playing point guard, he wants to play point guard, and he's always played point guard.  he played off the ball this year not because it best suited him, but because that's what he was asked to do for the team.  There's a reason he was the #2 rated point guard in the entire nation after high school.

he's also the 2nd youngest player in the draft, having turned 19 literally like 2 weeks before the draft.

8.5 ppg playing out of position all year, playing at 18 years old the entire year, isn't poor in the production department.  Take a look at what Deron Williams averaged as a freshman (playing his natural position).

I just don't believe he will be a big time player.  It seems to me that much of the evaluation of him comes as a result of the 6 OT game.  I have heard that reference over and over.  He may have been otherworldly in that game, but one game doesn't make a star.

Disagree.  Flynn's the closest thing to a complete point guard in this draft.  Getting in the paint, setting up his teammates, playing the pick and roll, midrange shot, defense, leadership, athlete, hard working.  His height's the only thing that doesn't make him a lock.  It's just very hard for a 6 foot nothing pg to transfer his defense over to the NBA, regardless of how good he is laterally or technique wise.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:48:33 AM by Derek Bodner »