Author Topic: Vinsanity to Orlando  (Read 2308 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Vinsanity to Orlando
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:48:52 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4287197

Sources: Nets, Magic agree to trade

The New Jersey Nets have agreed to a trade in principle with the Magic that will send Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson to Orlando for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee, two league sources told ESPN.com.

The two sides are expected to a complete the trade by the end of the day.

The trade would give the Magic even more star power on their quest to win an NBA championship. The addition of Carter to a lineup that already consists of All-Star players Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson would make Orlando the favorite to win the Eastern Conference title next year if the franchise also finds a way to bring back Hedo Turkoglu, who will opt out of his contract this summer.

As for the Nets, the move is a cost-cutting measure. Both Alston and Battie are in the last year of their contracts, and trading for them would shave $16.5 million off New Jersey's roster in the summer of 2010 and put the Nets well below the salary cap.

Over the life of the contracts, the Nets would save $40 million by making the deal.

The deal, if completed, would also give the Nets a young, promising shooting guard in Lee.

With the 11th selection in the 2009 NBA draft, the Nets are likely to select Louisville's Terrance Williams, sources tell ESPN.com.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Vinsanity to Orlando
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:28:21 AM »
I'm hearing that this most likely means that Orlando will *NOT* re-sign Turkoglu.

If that's the case, I think Orlando has taken a step BACKWARD, since the Orlando offense relied on Turkoglu as the distributor.  Carter's a great talent, a good shooter, and a good late-in-game player, but he's not a distributor.  And neither is Jameer Nelson, either.

If Orlando keeps Turkoglu, however, that makes it an outstanding scenario for Orlando.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
I'm hearing that this most likely means that Orlando will *NOT* re-sign Turkoglu.

If that's the case, I think Orlando has taken a step BACKWARD, since the Orlando offense relied on Turkoglu as the distributor.  Carter's a great talent, a good shooter, and a good late-in-game player, but he's not a distributor.  And neither is Jameer Nelson, either.

If Orlando keeps Turkoglu, however, that makes it an outstanding scenario for Orlando.

Turkoglu and his agent have sort of made it clear their feelings on the situation.  Their thoughts is that Orlando needed Hedo a lot more than Hedo needed Orlando.  The opting out was more than just to get more money from Orlando.  I think it was for more money AND test the waters for another situation.

Carter IMO is a better passer.   Not sure where you got that Hedo was leaps and bounds better.  This year was Hedo's best year career wise.  His assist numbers are almost dead even with Vince Carter's CAREER numbers (4.7 to 4.8).   Jameer Nelson can be a distributor, if healthy.  If Vince stays true to his career numbers then they are not losing quite as much as you are making it out to seem.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:50:46 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »
I'm with Joe on this, Hedo was a big part of Orlando's offense, much in the way Ginobli is when he is being effective for the Spurs.  Vince is not in the same class as a passer, but is a better scorer.  A team like Orlando doesn't need a great point guard because of Hedo. If he goes, Orlando takes a step back, IMO.  Even if they get the best that Vince can give at this stage in his career. 

Also Jameer Nelson isn't that great a point in terms of being an assist man. Even with him out, Orlando could still move the ball and score effectively because of Turk.

If they are adding Vince and keeping Turk as well that moves them up a level. It will give them an athletic and very strong back-court. Vince would do a better job defending Kobe than anyone Orlando had. They would be a real nightmare to defend, who would you leave alone? Nelson, Carter, Hedo, Lewis, Howard.

Clearly Orlando's back-court was where they were weakest. This was a smart move for them.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »
Vince would do a better job defending Kobe than anyone Orlando had.

You're still clueless.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »

You're still clueless.

Actually since they traded Lee to get Carter, rick may be right.  Depends on if you think Pietrus is a better defender than VC.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:23:43 PM »

You're still clueless.

Actually since they traded Lee to get Carter, rick may be right.  Depends on if you think Pietrus is a better defender than VC.

I would say he is for the simple fact that Carter never applies himself on the defensive end.  Pietrus tends to focus more on the defensive end than on the offensive end.  I don't expect Vince Carter to all the sudden take the defensive end seriously.  Though he def has had the athletic ability to be a solid defender all these years.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 03:01:52 PM »

You're still clueless.

I would say he is for the simple fact that Carter never applies himself on the defensive end.  Pietrus tends to focus more on the defensive end than on the offensive end.  I don't expect Vince Carter to all the sudden take the defensive end seriously.  Though he def has had the athletic ability to be a solid defender all these years.

Agreed but I made the comment because rick thought Putridness was going to give Kobe a hard time.  VC has never applied himself on the defensive end, I don't expect that to change.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »

You're still clueless.

Agreed but I made the comment because rick thought Putridness was going to give Kobe a hard time.  VC has never applied himself on the defensive end, I don't expect that to change.

LOL @ your nick name for him.

Could you imagine with Vince's speed and leaping ability what he could have been had he applied himself more?  Look what Josh Smith is able to do with similar athletic gifts.