Author Topic: Who is the NBA player of the decade?  (Read 12458 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who is the NBA player of the decade?
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 10:59:04 AM »
Get a (class)room you two.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »
WOW's thinking like a programmer, not a normal human being, he is correct in one aspect, wrong in another.

Lurker is thinking like a normal human being, he is wrong in one aspect but correct in the one that is relevant here.

Based on what we are talking about here, the nod goes to Lurker. WOW's desire to add a wrinkle because he wants to displays his mathematical reasoning skills, while impressive, likewise demonstrates his inability follow the simple counting concept Lurker is vainly trying to point out to him.

When you count in the real, tangible universe, the zero factors in only to indicate a baseline, ie, nothing, the actual count ALWAYS starts at 1. This is why, since in the Gregorian calender doesn't have a year zero, decades are ALWAYS counted 1-10 thus ending in a trailing, round number zero such as 1901-1910 (JoMal's birth decade). Thus, the decade you 2 are fighting like children over, the first decade of this century, counts from 2001-20010. By that accepted and factual criteria, there is still one more season left in the NBA for this decade and the Laker's championship they won in 99-00 counts for the decade of the '90's in absolute terms and 00-01 count as part of the 90's and part of the 00's, although because it was actually WON in '01 it really should count wholly in the '00's. People seem to forget how to count when they see that "2" in front and thus, by that incorrect reckoning, LA's 3peat are all part of this decade, and purely for debate's sake, I am OK with that, however technically incorrect it is, and so WOW is partially vindicated; although that vindication is based on a false premise.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »
WOW's thinking like a programmer, not a normal human being, he is correct in one aspect, wrong in another.

Lurker is thinking like a normal human being, he is wrong in one aspect but correct in the one that is relevant here.

Based on what we are talking about here, the nod goes to Lurker. WOW's desire to add a wrinkle because he wants to displays his mathematical reasoning skills, while impressive, likewise demonstrates his inability follow the simple counting concept Lurker is vainly trying to point out to him.

When you count in the real, tangible universe, the zero factors in only to indicate a baseline, ie, nothing, the actual count ALWAYS starts at 1. This is why, since in the Gregorian calender doesn't have a year zero, decades are ALWAYS counted 1-10 thus ending in a trailing, round number zero such as 1901-1910 (JoMal's birth decade). Thus, the decade you 2 are fighting like children over, the first decade of this century, counts from 2001-20010. By that accepted and factual criteria, there is still one more season left in the NBA for this decade and the Laker's championship they won in 99-00 counts for the decade of the '90's in absolute terms and 00-01 count as part of the 90's and part of the 00's, although because it was actually WON in '01 it really should count wholly in the '00's. People seem to forget how to count when they see that "2" in front and thus, by that incorrect reckoning, LA's 3peat are all part of this decade, and purely for debate's sake, I am OK with that, however technically incorrect it is, and so WOW is partially vindicated; although that vindication is based on a false premise.

I have honestly NEVER heard of a decade starting with a 1.  The 80's is 1980 to 1989, there is no "70's" nor a "90's" in that range.  1981 to 1990 includes a "nineties" number and that makes NO sense at all.  70's = 1970 to 1979.  90's = 1990 to 1999.  00's = 2000 to 2009.  Pretty simple IMO, no 80's number in the 70's no 90's number in the 80's etc..etc...I really don't get this debate. 

Seems like the NBA has a totally different definition of a decade:

http://www.nba.com/history/decade_timeline.html

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »
Not to further flame this discussion, but did you know that there never was a year, "0" simply because, well, the number "0" had not been discovered yet. So based on that, modern (AD) history commensed with year 1 and decades have traditionally gone from 1 to ten, as in 1991 to 2000.

Did you also know that, when Aryabhatt discovered zero, he said, "I just discovered Zero", to which a collegue asked him, "What?", and Aryabhatt simply said, "Oh, nothing, nothing".
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »
Did you also know that, when Aryabhatt discovered zero, he said, "I just discovered Zero", to which a collegue asked him, "What?", and Aryabhatt simply said, "Oh, nothing, nothing".

::)
Dan

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »
Not to further flame this discussion, but did you know that there never was a year, "0" simply because, well, the number "0" had not been discovered yet. So based on that, modern (AD) history commensed with year 1 and decades have traditionally gone from 1 to ten, as in 1991 to 2000.

Still doesn't change the fact that zero signifies nothingness which is why we start counting at 1, not 0.
Dan

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 04:51:01 PM »
You call that convoluted mess you posted "thinking"? 

Most certainly.

In fact, the very fact that I can explain it as a grouping of things I see as similar makes it a more useful tool that arbitrarily deciding that from 0 (or 1) to the following 9 (or 0) should be grouped together simply because they share the same digit in the tens column (or represent a collection of ten).

After all, scientists do not group eras into specific numerically consistent ranges;  what is the significance of group basketball teams that way?

And most of all, the fact that I can recognize it as inconsistent, point that inconsistency out, and yet continue to make the point of grouping the things as I have indicates purpose behind the grouping.  (In this case, that's either to better group things into manageeable, cohesive groups, or to tick both you and Lurker off even more.  I haven't decided which.)

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »

Still doesn't change the fact that zero signifies nothingness which is why we start counting at 1, not 0.

Actually zero indicates no measurable value or the absence of any units under consideration. That hardly equates to nothingness. By counting to one, we just indicate that a unit under consideration now has increased.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »

Actually zero indicates no measurable value or the absence of any units under consideration. That hardly equates to nothingness. By counting to one, we just indicate that a unit under consideration now has increased.

You defined it better than did but that is essentially what I meant, it's why a timed event does not begin until someone or something start to move, thereby accumulating measurable value, ie, seconds, or fractions thereof. The point remains valid, however poorly i defined it.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 06:20:59 PM »

You defined it better than did but that is essentially what I meant, it's why a timed event does not begin until someone or something start to move, thereby accumulating measurable value, ie, seconds, or fractions thereof. The point remains valid, however poorly i defined it.

I think that "nothingness" is more a philosophical concept rather then mathematical, which is what the discussion here is about.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »
(In this case, that's either to better group things into manageeable, cohesive groups, or to tick both you and Lurker off even more.  I haven't decided which.)

I am ENJOYING the back & forth.  I can't razz WOW about his team's performance so why not twist him around about nothing.   :D

Besides, Joe, I already said that I thought your explanation was valid.  And in many ways is how the mind works...trying to group similar items to ease identification.

WOW, the NBA is counting just like you and you didn't even realize it.     :D  :D  :D  :D
They are starting with "important" dates in the 89/90 season and calling it the 90s because the cham,pionship was won in 1990.  Then the last entry is about the 99 finals.  Thus to the NBA 90-99 champions is the decade of the 90s.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2009, 08:11:17 PM »
I am ENJOYING the back & forth.  I can't razz WOW about his team's performance so why not twist him around about nothing.   :D

:D ...errr... "This user is currently ignored".  >:(
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »
And I guess my advanced mathematical studies in high school and coolege were useless since they didn't teach South/Central American Indian based math.    ::)

I suppose when you count you always start at zero.  A dozen eggs is 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11.

When Kobe scores his first field goal of a game the score should be 1-blank?  Since the first two points should be 0 & 1.  Very astute.
Nicely done.  :D

(In this case, that's either to better group things into manageeable, cohesive groups, or to tick both you and Lurker off even more.  I haven't decided which.)

Besides, Joe, I already said that I thought your explanation was valid.  And in many ways is how the mind works...trying to group similar items to ease identification.

WOW, the NBA is counting just like you and you didn't even realize it.     :D  :D  :D  :D
They are starting with "important" dates in the 89/90 season and calling it the 90s because the cham,pionship was won in 1990.  Then the last entry is about the 99 finals.  Thus to the NBA 90-99 champions is the decade of the 90s.
Lurker you've been W.O.W. owned.   rrrrrraaaauuugh.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"This user is currently ignored."  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2009, 09:18:01 PM »
Btw....

Only on this message board could a player of the decade debate turn into a heated mathematical debate of this caliber.

I guess it could be worse, could you imagine what this debate might have turned into on Fan home?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com