Author Topic: Congrats.......  (Read 4628 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Congrats.......
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:56:22 PM »
W.O.W.
Westkoast
MSC
Laker Dan
Rolando Blackman
Prplreign
and yes even
Randy

best team won it all
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Congrats.......
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:18:31 PM »
W.O.W.
Westkoast
MSC
Laker Dan
Rolando Blackman
Prplreign
and yes even
Randy

best team won it all

Thanks, it was a great win but there is always a dark cloud in front of a Lakers silver lining.  I read/heard "fans" are starting fires at Staples Center!  What right do those idiots have to blemish the home of the Clippers?!?!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:50:24 PM »
Thanks Zig, this one was especially sweet, only wish it had been Boston instead.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:53:26 PM »
Thanks Zig, this one was especially sweet, only wish it had been Boston instead.

Agreed, I so wanted it to be against Boston.  LeBron was my second choice.  I really did not have a third choice and I really did not expect the Magic to be in the Finals.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:18:50 AM »
Congrats, guys.

An incredible series by Gasol that no one is going to notice.  He shot an even 60% from the field, outscored Howard 93 to 77, and led the Lakers in rebounding in 3 of the 4 wins.  38 minutes of rest in the entire series - barely over 7 minutes of rest per game.  And people are going to say he's "soft," instead of recognizing that he's a SKILLED big man rather than an overpowering big man.  Then again, I think that's what makes him a good fit for the Lakers.  I'm glad to see him get a ring.

Also happy to see Odom get a ring.  Another guy who makes really solid contributions that is too often overlooked.

So - is this the end for Jackson?  For Fisher?  For Odom and Ariza in Laker uniforms? 

I think if LA keeps this core together, under Jackson, with Fisher's role diminishing in favor of Farmar, you might see this team win the next two or three.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:31:05 AM »
Congrats, guys.

An incredible series by Gasol that no one is going to notice.  He shot an even 60% from the field, outscored Howard 93 to 77, and led the Lakers in rebounding in 3 of the 4 wins.  38 minutes of rest in the entire series - barely over 7 minutes of rest per game.  And people are going to say he's "soft," instead of recognizing that he's a SKILLED big man rather than an overpowering big man.  Then again, I think that's what makes him a good fit for the Lakers.  I'm glad to see him get a ring.

Also happy to see Odom get a ring.  Another guy who makes really solid contributions that is too often overlooked.

So - is this the end for Jackson?  For Fisher?  For Odom and Ariza in Laker uniforms? 

I think if LA keeps this core together, under Jackson, with Fisher's role diminishing in favor of Farmar, you might see this team win the next two or three.

Thanks for the props Zigs, Joe.....

Not a peep about his (Gasol) defense in the playoffs this year is going to be made by the sports media.  He stepped his play up in every aspect and it really showed in the last two series.  Along with Ariza, Odom, Fisher, and others contributing here and there it was a great TEAM effort.   I also think that Bynum and Odom should get credit for helping out on Dwight Howard this series.  Collectively they did a good job of making his life difficult and giving up single digit dunks the whole series.  I think that was impressive and something that will go unmentioned.  We all know the easier, more flashy stories involve Kobe Bryant winning without Shaq and Phil Jackson getting his 10th.  Rightfully so in the later, dunno about the former.  Very few teams win with out in inside outside punch so to say Kobe can't do it with out Shaq doesn't make much sense.

Jackson is signed for the following year.  Fisher I have a feeling will come back but in a diminished role off the bench.  Before the 2nd championship the Lakers front office said that they felt they wanted to do everything in their power to keep the team in tact to defend their title because they owed it to the players for winning the title in the first place.  I hope they do the same in this off-season.  The Lakers can technically afford to pay both Ariza and Odom if they can convince Odom to take less money or sign a smaller contract length wise.  The Lakers have made a lot of money in this years playoffs in home games and that should help ease the money situation.

Btw, dunno if anyone heard but on twitter Shaq congratulated Kobe and at the end of his twitter message said "I know what you are thinking "Shaq how my ass taste"  I thought that was kind of funny and a good sport of Shaq to joke about it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:49:27 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 01:35:55 AM »
Btw, dunno if anyone heard but on twitter Shaq congratulated Kobe and at the end of his twitter message said "I know what you are thinking "Shaq how my ass taste"  I thought that was kind of funny and a good sport of Shaq to joke about it.

I read that as "Cleveland confirms perliminary trade talks about Shaq with the Suns" was flashing across the bottome of the screen.  :o
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:33 AM »
Congrats Laker Fans.  Best team won it and I'm also of the same opinion that if this core is kept together, I don't see why they can't walk away with 3 more. 

With Farmar coming into his own, the long tooth of D-fish probably won't matter as much as some may want to point out.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 02:16:02 AM »
Congrats to LA!!  The rioting is sad, I hope they know the are tearing up their own city..  This series was pretty lopsided, reminded me of SA vs Cavs without the sweep.  Kobe was a monster.

Loved Shaq's comment on twitter at the end there:

"Congratualtions kobe, u deserve it. You played great . Enjoy it my man enjoy it. And I know what yur sayin rt now 'Shaq how my @ss taste' "
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 02:52:43 AM »
Congrats to LA!!  The rioting is sad, I hope they know the are tearing up their own city..  This series was pretty lopsided, reminded me of SA vs Cavs without the sweep.  Kobe was a monster.

Loved Shaq's comment on twitter at the end there:

"Congratualtions kobe, u deserve it. You played great . Enjoy it my man enjoy it. And I know what yur sayin rt now 'Shaq how my @ss taste' "

They kind of blew the 'rioting' out of proportion just to make a story.  While people were causing problems there was a lot of people not causing problems.  The news even reported that though some trees were burned and a few people were looting most were not and there was no 'violence' in the streets.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:50:59 AM »
Congrats my Laker friends!  I was hoping for a better series but I can hardly fault a veteran team for being able to finish games.   

I will be very curious to see if Ariza can use this to make a big step forward and maintain his excellent play during this series.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 09:08:29 AM »
Congrats, Laker "cousins"!    ;D

It seemed that this team finally figured it out halfway through the Denver series that they would have to play consistent on BOTH ends of the court.  They really stepped up the defense on Orlando.  And I agree that Gasol's contributions will be overlooked.

BTW my picks for finals MVP were:

Chris Wallace
Gasol
Kobe
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 10:54:05 AM »
Thanks ziggy, jn, Lurker, Joe, SPURSX3 and Skandery!

Joe, I completely agree re: Gasol and Odom.  Gasol had an incredible series and was the model of consistency throughout the regular season and playoffs.  He did about as good a job as one can do against Dwight Howard.  That kid is going to be downright scary when he improves his low post moves and if he can develop a 10-ft shot ... look out! 

I'm real happy for Lamar.  He's been through so much in his personal life and basketball life and subject to so much criticism, that it's nice to see him finally achieve the ultimate goal in his sport and be able to just exhale and enjoy it. 

And Trevor Ariza!  Who would have known that the acquisition of this kid would be the difference maker.  Well, maybe Joe did ;), but I know I kind of questioned the trade when it happened.  I didn't think it was a bad trade, but I certainly didn't realize the full potential of this kid even watching him for 1 year at UCLA and on the Knicks.  Mitch Kupchak deserves a ton of credit. 

I just hope they can re-sign both Ariza and Odom.  With this team in tact and a (hopefully) fully healthy Andrew Bynum, they have a chance to contend for the next several years. 

I hate to even have to address it, but it's unfortunate that a couple of hundred idiot "fans" have to try to ruin it for the millions of true Laker fans out there.  Growing up in the LA area and living here for 30 of my 34 years I've seen first hand how many classy Laker fans there are in this community and around the country.  Most of us understand the history of the team, respect it to the utmost and truly appreciate what the franchise and players have done for us.  It truly pains me to see look at the papers and the news and see these morons giving us a bad name.  I won't let a few bad apples ruin the fun for the rest of us though ... Go Lakers! 

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 10:56:53 AM »
It truly pains me to see look at the papers and the news and see these morons giving us a bad name.

I had that thought when you guys signed Dennis Rodman all those years ago....
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
It truly pains me to see look at the papers and the news and see these morons giving us a bad name.

I had that thought when you guys signed Dennis Rodman all those years ago....

:D