Author Topic: Kobe thrives on all our hate.  (Read 4167 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Kobe thrives on all our hate.
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:25:39 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/090608&sportCat=nba

Kobe thrives on all our hate

Hello, my name is Hate. I've been around for a long time. Thanks for creating me.

I'm here today to talk about Kobe Bryant. Yeah, you know, that dude. The one who keeps me alive, simply because of the way so many of you feel about him. You see, there's hate, and then there's the way millions feel about him. There's animosity, jealousy, anger ? and then there's the way so many of you feel about him. And now that the conversation has come to the forefront -- about his place in history if he wins Championship No. 4 -- I have returned with a vengeance.

So many people are rooting against the Lakers just because of Kobe. Maybe that's just what Kobe wants?Yeah me, Hate -- I'm back. And it seems, thanks to you, I'm stronger than ever.

The funny thing about me is, my existence has nothing to do with basketball when it comes to Kobe Bryant. When people say they are rooting for the Magic strictly based on their hate for Kobe, or they just don't want the Lakers to win because of their hate for Kobe, 99.9 percent of the time basketball is not the reason.

It's his attitude -- he's arrogant and smug. He's selfish. He's phony. He thinks he's better than everyone.

The Colorado incident comes up -- it sits in the back of people's minds like a trump card in Bid Whist. The breakup of the Lakers dynasty? Blamed on him. Sides are still being chosen. Shaq comes up. Love him, hate the other. People have even said they like LeBron's Nike puppet more than Kobe's.

Now that's hate. That's me on a whole 'nother level.

Lemme breathe. Ahhhhhh. Feels good.

Kobe can't even have his wife and kids meet him when he comes off the court after home games without me dominating people's feelings. Why does he get to have his kids come give him a hug after the game, and none of the other players' families are allowed? Without even knowing the reason -- because it's him, and not, say, Derek Fisher -- I am allowed to reign over even his family portrait. And if he loses a game in this series, I'll be the "I told you so."

Now, some people have given the people who hold me against Kobe a name. They call them "Haters." Population in the millions. Outside of L.A., we stretch all across the globe. Now the Haters, they reach for reasons that do sometimes have something to do with basketball. He shoots too much. He's not a team player. He doesn't make anyone around him better. The 81 points didn't impress them -- that cemented their belief he's a ball hog. The MVP award last year went to the wrong player. The 40-point performance in Game 1 of this series? Whatever. And Lamar Odom was the reason the Lakers won Game 2. The hatred continues.

The Haters are blinded by one thing when it comes to Kobe: He's not Michael Jordan and he never will be. And they'll stand on that until the day they die.

So here I am, back in the Finals again, making my presence felt. Doing everything I can to find fault with Kobe Bryant, and fuel the fire against him getting another ring.

The problem with me is that, the more I'm thrown in his face -- the more you all allow me to play a role, the more you hold me against him -- the stronger I make him. I'm counterproductive when it comes to Kobe.

See, Kobe loves me. He loves the fact that I, Hate, play such a large role in his life. He didn't always feel this way -- he used to have a hard time understanding why I was always around. He didn't get it. What have I done to make people hate me so much? That's what he used to say to me in private moments. All he ever wanted to do is be considered the best player to ever ball. He thought, if he pushed himself hard enough, the world would appreciate him.

But it didn't. And now he doesn't give a damn. What you think about him is no longer one of his concerns. He's driven almost to the point of obsession with getting this fourth ring, not in spite of me, but because of me. He wants you to keep hating him. He calls me Nietzsche.

So please, people -- if you don't want Kobe to win this series, if you don't want to see him get his first Finals MVP, if you don't want to see his place in NBA history vault to an argument-free Top 10 All-Time status, then stop. Stop tossing me at Kobe Bryant. Because at this point, you all have made me the best thing that's ever happened to him.

Scoop Jackson is a columnist for ESPN.com.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Kobe thrives on all our hate.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:26:14 PM »
Boooooooooooyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!   8)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »
Usually not a fan of Scoop Jackson, but he hit the nail on the head in that one!

Although he forgot to mention that it also causes blindness ;)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:18:54 PM »
Eh fluff piece.  Should have saved it for deeper in the series.  Preferably after a really good game from Kobe.

Don't care for Scoop Jackson.  Even if he is pumping up my favorite basketball player.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:46:35 AM »

The Haters are blinded by one thing when it comes to Kobe: He's not Michael Jordan and he never will be. And they'll stand on that until the day they die.

... and according to Jerry West he isn't even LeBron James, who happens to be the closest thing ever to Micheal Jordan.  What a hater!!
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:48:33 AM »

... and according to Jerry West he isn't even LeBron James, who happens to be the closest thing ever to Micheal Jordan.  What a hater!!

IMO Kobe is the closest thing to MJ, LeBron is a first of his kind.  I know we mentioned guys that where similar to LeBron but his combo of size, speed, skills, strength, vision, and athletic ability make him a "first".  LeBron will probably be the greatest ever, but championships will have a lot to do with that debate.

IMO, titles aside, LeBron would be able to guard MJ and Kobe, but neither guy would be able to guard LeBron, that's enough for me to proclaim him the greatest in a few years.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »
I'm sorry, but I don't think LeBron is the first of his kind.  I see him more in the mix of a Julius Erving or an Elgin Baylor or a Connie Hawkins - a big, athletic, mobile guy in a forward's body.

I think Kevin Garnett is more unique than LeBron.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:17:01 PM »
I'm sorry, but I don't think LeBron is the first of his kind.  I see him more in the mix of a Julius Erving or an Elgin Baylor or a Connie Hawkins - a big, athletic, mobile guy in a forward's body.

KG has neither the speed, vision, nor as many skills as LeBron.  LeBron is working in his flawed jumper and has shown he can play defense so he's only going to get better.  In a few years LeBron will develop a mid-range game and he's shown some ability from 3-pt land, not sure if that's new or how good it is, but that's something that KG doesn't have, nor does KG have the handles of King James.  Not to mention LeBron has freaky hops!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »

Uh, uh.

While WOW has a point regarding how unique LeBron is, as a player he probably comes closest to Oscar Robinson. A 6' 5", 220 guard/forward back in the Big "O"'s era would equate to LeBron's size today. Neither Baylor nor Erving dimed at the pace that Lebron has been.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »
Kobe will never be Jordan......

Because Sasha will never be Steve Kerr.....

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »

:D  :D 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 04:06:05 PM »

Ok on that same line of thought, What about Dirk?  There has never been a 7 foot player with the speed, range, and jumper quite as sweet as his.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 04:19:47 PM »
Ok on that same line of thought, What about Dirk?  There has never been a 7 foot player with the speed, range, and jumper quite as sweet as his.

Eactly wk, there were guys that were close but not as good, i.e. Lambier, Sikma, Sampson, Bailey, and Tarpley. 

LeBron is a FIRST!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »

Eactly wk, there were guys that were close but not as good, i.e. Lambier, Sikma, Sampson, Bailey, and Tarpley. 

LeBron is a FIRST!

Did you really just compare Bill Lambeer to Dirk Nowitzki?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 06:48:35 PM »

I can go with Dirk on that same train of thought, given that we never saw the younger, mobile Sabonis in the states.  And the young Sabonis was more athletic, and MUCH stronger, but not quite as pretty with the outside jumper as Dirk.

The closest I could come to Garnett was David Robinson, and I didn't think that was a good fit.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!