Author Topic: I left vacation for this?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
I left vacation for this?
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:16:04 PM »
Just got back from a long fishing vacation in northern Manitoba and I must say I'm disappointed.  First there's the fact that Cleveland apparently choked it off and Lebron got no help.  Second, Orlando apparently offered no resistance in the second half of game one.  Third, tonights game was simply not played well.  Howard showed that he has more than one step to take to truly be a great player.   Neither team played particularly smart basketball and whined incessantly. 

Finally, as a bit of a side note, I am disturbed by the NBA as cultural destroyer.   I was far, far into Canada.  15 hours north of Mpls to be precise, staying at a friends cabin.   Everything was properly Canadian.  It was absurdly cold, (damn near got trapped in one section of the lake by ice floes) everyone said "eh", I was sucking down Labatt's and Kokenee, Rush was playing on the radio in the gas station when we bought our licenses.   Then, when we stopped in to settle the bill at the resort where we bought gas for the boats, my buddy and I stopped in the lounge to check the TV and watch a bit of the Penguins/Red Wings game.  Instead, it' the Lakers/Magic!!   That is just plain WRONG!!!!!!!

NBA OOT OF CANADA EH!!!!!!
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: I left vacation for this?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 11:21:16 PM »
Just got back from a long fishing vacation in northern Manitoba and I must say I'm disappointed.  First there's the fact that Cleveland apparently choked it off and Lebron got no help.  Second, Orlando apparently offered no resistance in the second half of game one.  Third, tonights game was simply not played well.  Howard showed that he has more than one step to take to truly be a great player.   Neither team played particularly smart basketball and whined incessantly. 

Finally, as a bit of a side note, I am disturbed by the NBA as cultural destroyer.   I was far, far into Canada.  15 hours north of Mpls to be precise, staying at a friends cabin.   Everything was properly Canadian.  It was absurdly cold, (damn near got trapped in one section of the lake by ice floes) everyone said "eh", I was sucking down Labatt's and Kokenee, Rush was playing on the radio in the gas station when we bought our licenses.   Then, when we stopped in to settle the bill at the resort where we bought gas for the boats, my buddy and I stopped in the lounge to check the TV and watch a bit of the Penguins/Red Wings game.  Instead, it' the Lakers/Magic!!   That is just plain WRONG!!!!!!!

You're not missing much in the Finals, the coverage by ABC is horrible.  They missed a dunk by Gasol because the camera was on Rashard getting handed a towel on the way to the bench.  They also don't show the shot clock, not even in OT.  ABC is a joke, I think they should turn the coverage over to some YouTube hack.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »
WOW I had friends over for dinner and the game tonight and we all commented on the terrible coverage.  Honestly, Van Gundy does make some good points from time to time but they are drowned out by the rest of the problems with the broadcast. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:39:55 AM »
  Honestly, Van Gundy does make some good points from time to time

But then he analyzes it for 10 minutes.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »
JEFF VAN GUNDY MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!! Is it my TV or when him and that idiot Mark Jackson are talking the sound keeps fading in and out? Breen is decent but he can't overcome these 2 clowns and their harping on the stinking obvious constantly. Or their sniffing Orlando's jock all night, or their constant little feud, or Van Gundy's stupid little attempts at humor, or his second guessing a hall of fame coach about to get his 10th ring, or... you get my point. I think I would almost rather have Bill Walton back.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:38:56 AM »
JEFF VAN GUNDY MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!! Is it my TV or when him and that idiot Mark Jackson are talking the sound keeps fading in and out? Breen is decent but he can't overcome these 2 clowns and their harping on the stinking obvious constantly. Or their sniffing Orlando's jock all night, or their constant little feud, or Van Gundy's stupid little attempts at humor, or his second guessing a hall of fame coach about to get his 10th ring, or... you get my point. I think I would almost rather have Bill Walton back.

It's funny, I don't get all that bothered by announcers, except when I watch a game on League Pass because they are such homers.  I've gotten used to LA announcers who are pretty unbiased but that has changed recently, they are too in love with Kobe and it's starting to get annoying.  I don't know if you guys have ever listened to Cooper talk about games, he's such a homer he makes me laugh.  I wish all guys would talk like Cooper, no PC, no fear, just strait out smack talk.  It's great but that's not the way I would want a game announced.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »
Is it my TV or when him and that idiot Mark Jackson are talking the sound keeps fading in and out?

Maybe its you. You seem to have a selective hearing issue on this board as well.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
Is it my TV or when him and that idiot Mark Jackson are talking the sound keeps fading in and out?

Maybe its you. You seem to have a selective hearing issue on this board as well.

Maybe the battery in his hearing aide needs replacing.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 11:40:28 AM »

Ah, JoMal pops his head out of his cave like a Moray eel to take a chunk of flesh, did you have to switch to your "chewin' teeth" for that?

Maybe the battery in his hearing aide needs replacing.

Nope, fresh batteries, and a state of the art Yamaha system.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:46:55 AM »
Van Gundy, at times, gives good analysis from the stand point of a head coach.  That I do like about him.  His insight on to how coaches look at the game is nice IMO.  The problem, like Lurker said, is he goes on and on.  If he stuck by the KISS mantra he would be A LOT better.

Marc Jackson I think is just plain annoying.  I think it's time for them to stop doing those fake 'fueds' on the air where they argue over something.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »

Ah, JoMal pops his head out of his cave like a Moray eel to take a chunk of flesh, did you have to switch to your "chewin' teeth" for that?

Just borrowed yours.

Haven't you even noticed they are missing yet?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »

I was gone to Europe for three and a half weeks, only to come back to this. Did not hear anything at all about basketball until two days before returning.

Turns out, I did not miss much. The NBA is still what it always has been and therefore not very interesting:

- The Lakers are in the finals. Boring

- The Caveliers are still on the edge. Still boring.

- The Magic/Lakers are playing in the finals. Semi-boring.

- The Kings got the absolute worst outcome from the lottery they could possibly get. Super boring. But at least when whomever the Kings pick turns out to be a lower rung NBA talent in a few years, they won't have to go through the Pervis Ellison problem again. Far more interesting will be who we pick at 23 and 31. Petrie has a good road record in finding that lower rung NBA talent that 'experts' tend to label as 'finds of the late first round'.

- The Kings' #1 pick for their next coach is Kurt Rambis. Not boring, but also not likely to happen. Jackson may consider retiring after this season if the Lakers win again and his choice as his replacement likely will be Rambis. Since the Kings are going cheap on their next coach, I would hope Kurt is not seriously considering moving north until Phil makes up his mind. That leaves us with Paul Westphal, who has already agreed to work for 3 million and a two year contract (TWO YEARS????!!!!  That should work!!), or the unproven but defensive assistant coach from the Celtics, Tom Thibodeau. That is called 'settling', as neither one is going to generate a lot of hope for the upcoming year. Rambis, for that matter, won't be able to do that, but it would at least be more interesting to see what he tries to do.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 02:36:19 PM »

Just borrowed yours.

Haven't you even noticed they are missing yet?

No I haven't, I have been on soft mashed 'taters for months now, gumming your food is so much easier.
Dan