Author Topic: Kobe got DOGGED on ESPN last night.  (Read 5437 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Kobe got DOGGED on ESPN last night.
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »
One of the most venemous stories I've ever seen on Kobe, heck on any NBA player.  They said that Kobe only said that his gold medal was more important than his rings because he didn't win his rings without Shaq.  They brought up the rape accusation, the brought up how he's been the hero and the heel in LA since Shaq left.  Bunch of other stuff and I only caught the last two minutes of the piece.  I'd like to see the rest of the piece to see what else they slammed him for.  I guess since the 2nd best player in the NBA failed to make it to the Finals to face the BEST player in the NBA, sports media has to do something to get the rest of the country interested.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kobe got DOGGED on ESPN last night.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:01:28 PM »
This plays nicely with the thread talking about the Lebron and Kobe getting treated differently by the media.

Either way, ESPN's selection on  the 'pieces' to run lately have been interesting.  I thought they went overboard with the piece about Lebron being Michael Jordan-esque because of his jumper in game 3 to win the game.  I thought they went equally overboard with the coverage of Lebron and his 'not shaking hands' fiasco we talked about around here.  The icing on the cake being (pardon the sugar pun) that piece they ran on Odom's candy addiction.  That was beyond lame and I don't know who thought that would be an interesting story.  Even 'Nozers' thought it was stupid.  The only one they've done that has been GOOD was the one they ran during game 6 about the guy with the disability who the Nuggets organization made an official part of their franchise.  That was a heart string puller and very well done.

As for the gold medal I think it had more to do with the fact that it was on an international stage and he was one of two leaders on the squad who return the US to the top of basketball then it did winning the gold 'with out Shaq'  As petty as I think Kobe Bryant is I do think what I just mentioned far outweighs "getting back at Shaq by winning the gold".  He was seen as the mentor and helped a lot of players (based on their own words) improve their game.  That's the bigger ego pumper and we all know he is going to go after what pumps his ego up more. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:11:15 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »
Kobe's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. 

Granted, he's made some mistakes and he's obviously deserving of much of the criticism he's received.  But the anti-Kobe people are out of control.  It permeates the media, the general public and this board. 

I heard a dipstick on Dan Patrick the other morning discussing the Lebron no handshake say that Kobe did it, but it was fake so it doesn't count.  WTF is that?  People hate Kobe so much that if he goes over to congratulate Carmelo Anthony, who he became good friends with during the Olympics, it's automatically "fake".  Unbelievable, but it just goes to show how blinded with hate people get over this polarizing athlete. 

Lebron is treated differently, but he's also played his cards smarter than Kobe has with the media and public perception up to this point.  So in that regard, of course he's treated differently and rightfully so. 

That said, Lebron is starting to feel some similar heat as Kobe, from the damned if you do, damned if you don't standpoint.  Perfect example was when he kicked the ball out to Mo Williams for the last second shot in the game they lost against the Magic (can't remember which game #).  The next day, everyone was calling out Lebron for "not being selfish enough", and "not taking the big shot".  I mean for crying out loud media!  It's the same thing with Kobe, when he takes the shot, he's selfish, when he tries to get everyone involved, he's purposefully tanking the game to prove a point.  It's gotten to the point of absurdity. 

I love basketball and I like absorbing the hype on the radio and tv when my team is still in it as much as the next guy.  But it's a double edged sword because the sports writer/broadcasters job is literally to "fill space" be it on the written page or airwaves.  As a result, we have all of these donkeys creating stories just to fill space.  Some days I almost wish it would go back to how it was when you just read about the game and the box score in the paper the next morning. 

Say what you want about Kobe, I want this guy on my team, and anyone who says they don't is lying.  Give him some friggin' credit for maturing along the way.  The Kobe I see day in and day out today is very different then the kid that came out of high school.  He's taken his lumps and rather than cower under the pressure it's only made him more motivated and focused.  No one works harder than he does.  No one prepares harder than he does mentally and physically.  It's not an accident he's arguably the best player in the game, he worked his butt off and made it happen.  As a fan, that's all I care about.  I can't concern myself with what these guys do in their free time, because I've come in to contact with several of them and most of them are a-holes, who cheat on their wives in every city they visit ... you just don't know it because they haven't been at the forefront of the media. 

I'm very concerned about this Orlando team and think they have as much of a chance to win the title as the Lakers do.  All else being equal I would pick the Lakers for one reason and one reason only ... Kobe Bryant.  I don't think he'll allow this team to lose it this year.  They got their butts handed to them last year and I think they've learned from it and gotten tougher because of it, mentally and physically.  As good as Orlando is and they're a great team, they haven't been there before and that does matter.  In a 7 game series I'm banking on Kobe over anyone else in this league today. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:35:12 PM »
While I am conventioning I am also "on call" for you guys for ER.

Take 3 Midols and watch this video:
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2009/6/3/897279/kobe-bryant-at-the-top-of-his-game

Call my office in the morning.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:20:58 PM »

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2009/6/3/897279/kobe-bryant-at-the-top-of-his-game

I called your office, but your receptionist said you ran out of the building last night running, screaming and mumbling inaudible ramblings about black mambas and haven't been seen since.   

Don't worry about us Laker fans, Reality.  We got all the medicine we needed last night.  Laker winnin' juice flowing through the streets of LA. 

Now, if we get our butts kicked Sunday I might be calling you for a prescription, but I'll need something a little stronger than midol ;)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 01:08:07 PM »
Laker winnin' juice flowing through the streets of LA. 

Jack get away from his handlers again?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 02:10:17 PM »
Laker winnin' juice flowing through the streets of LA. 

Jack get away from his handlers again?

Heck yeah!   ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »

I called your office, but your receptionist said you ran out of the building last night running, screaming and mumbling inaudible ramblings about black mambas and haven't been seen since.   

Don't worry about us Laker fans, Reality.  We got all the medicine we needed last night.  Laker winnin' juice flowing through the streets of LA. 

Now, if we get our butts kicked Sunday I might be calling you for a prescription, but I'll need something a little stronger than midol ;)

msc,

I posted that same article the other day, it made some excellent points about the Kobe hate vs the LeBron love. ( http://forums.phillyarena.com/index.php?topic=5646.0 )  I think more and more people are starting to recognize the bias against Kobe.  For so long it was the league loved the Lakers but for the past 4-5 years it's been nothing but Kobe hate in the national media, I think some of that comes from having another star to jock, LeBron, so there is less risk in ripping Kobe.  Plus there are probably just as many Kobe haters as there are fans, you couple the haters with the LeBron lovers and you got a bigger audience.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 04:13:29 PM »

msc,

I posted that same article the other day, it made some excellent points about the Kobe hate vs the LeBron love. ( http://forums.phillyarena.com/index.php?topic=5646.0 )  I think more and more people are starting to recognize the bias against Kobe.  For so long it was the league loved the Lakers but for the past 4-5 years it's been nothing but Kobe hate in the national media, I think some of that comes from having another star to jock, LeBron, so there is less risk in ripping Kobe.  Plus there are probably just as many Kobe haters as there are fans, you couple the haters with the LeBron lovers and you got a bigger audience.

Only in the minds (and small ones at that IMO) of SOME Laker fans is Kobe being biased against in the media.  Now if you want to talk about people who post comments about articles on national sites....
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 04:20:49 PM »

msc,

Only in the minds (and small ones at that IMO) of SOME Laker fans is Kobe being biased against in the media.  Now if you want to talk about people who post comments about articles on national sites....

Biased when it comes to Kobe/Lebron....Kobe can do right and wrong.  Lebron can only do right.

Not when it comes to Kobe/everyone else.... The guy still gets an insane amount of butt kissing, god you are so cool Kobe articles/comments from the national media.  He does get his share of venom.  Moreso than any other star in the league.  Just not when they've won their last 3 games and haven't lost in a good 2 weeks.  If Sunday the Magic come out like the team that deserved to come out of the EC and the Lakers lose, well, you will see a lot of the blame placed on Kobe.  Whereas with Lebron he is shielded a bit.

Again tho, I think msc said it in another thread.  Lebron's record is 'clean' so that's why he gets the benefit of the doubt.  People can't play the 'oh i don't like him cuz hes so arrogant' card because quite frankly Michael Jordan and Lebron James are just as arrogant.  I think you need to be to play the roles they do/did for their teams (another thread tho)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:23:00 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 05:58:46 PM »
They brought up the rape accusation...

Accusation . . .  ::)
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »

I guess I missed the trail and verdict...  ::)  ....oh wait, the ho took the money...it's beutiful when a plan comes together....
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »
I guess I missed the trail and verdict...  ::)  ....oh wait, the ho took the money...it's beutiful when a plan comes together....
Trial and verdict always results in truth and justice.

Were you part of the riff raff cheering OJ's acquittal?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 08:48:48 AM »

Whose plan, hers, or Kobe's?

There is absolutely no question that the rape accusations put a stain on the "squeaky-clean Kobe" image that eveyone tried to cultivate and Laker fans used to praise. 

Kobe's ascension timed so closely with the Jordan retirement put Bryant in the spotlight at a time when NBA fans weren't too happy with the NBA players in general.  And so many of us were still aghast that a second-year player who wasn't even starting on his own team was voted into the All-Star Game, as if the keys for the kingdom were being passed to him as the greatest player, when he couldn't even get off the bench on his own team yet.  Kobe Bryant was hyped beyond belief, long before he deserved it, and acted as if it was all well and good.

Arrogance beyond belief.  That's what I saw back then, and said so, over and over, all the while listening to how I shouldn't be on Kobe's case, because "He's a good kid."

Then, Kobe developed as a player.  Started deserving *SOME* of the accoloades.  But then, he couldn't play "second fiddle," even if it was to the league's most dominant big man.  Arrogance beyond belief.  Granted, Shaq was a lazy buffoon - as most of us non-Laker types were willing to point out and most Laker fans were willing to admit - but he was the hub around which everything else turned.  And fans of the team that gave us the GREATEST EXAMPLE IN HISTORY of how to play second fiddle when you're every bit as good as the centerpiece, instead of ripping the arrogant kid for what he was doing, EXCUSED HIM for it.  They had their Michael Jordan knock-off.  "Oh, he's a good kid.  You just hate him because he's not on your team."

Side note:  on this board, JUST THE OTHER DAY, I saw someone actually repeat - *AGAIN* - that those of us who don't like Kobe Bryant would secretly love to get him on our team.  Dwyane Wade - sure.  Brandon Roy - you bet.  Kevin Martin, Ray Allen, Michael Redd a host of others.  Kobe Bryant is better than every one of those guys, and I could care less - I'd rather have a player that I can actually cheer for and not be sickened by it.

Back to the main theme....

The Lakers lose in 2003, and all the criticism was directed at Shaq's laziness - which is pretty much on the money, although some of us would argue that some degree of blame should be on Bryant for the petulant whining he was doing - and Shaq and Kobe are doing the finger-pointing routine.  So you bring in Gary Payton and Karl Malone, and you're ready to start winning again.  And then the rape accusation comes to light.

Defenders of Kobe want to say, "Oh, it's just a money-grabbing ho."  And it may well be.  Given the culture of the NBA, with tons of money around, you'd figure there are a lot of money-grabbing ho's around....looking to get rich quick by bedding a superstar.  I mean, we've seen the Jordan rape accusations, the Magic rape accusations, the Larry Bird rape accusations, the Abdul-Jabbar rape accusations all these years, right?  We all know these guys were probably sleeping around - but how many were charged with *RAPE*?  All of a sudden, Kobe Bryant really *HAD* set himself apart...he had been CHARGED.

There were many in the Anti-Bryant camp who looked at the rape charge as vindication - that this squeaky-clean, good-boy image of Bryant was the complete fake that they had been screaming for years and years.  Even to this day, tout Bryant too much, and the rape charge comes up - just like it did in this thread.  And after *YEARS* of listening to people tout the squeaky-clean, good-guy image, it was *GONE*.  Even if you subscribe to the "money-grabbing ho" theory, there's still the reply of "What kind of squeaky-clean, good-guy sleeps around with a money-grabbing ho?" 

And Bryant then one-man-showed the favored Lakers out of the Finals against the Pistons.

The next season, a smirking Bryant inked a new contract, after giving everyone signals that he was leaving - only after O'Neal was traded.  Payton was then sent packing, and Malone was alienated and decided to retire.  Even Phil Jackson was gone.  It was Kobe's team.  And what a team - it was the trip to the cellar for the new Jordan.  And he didn't have anyone to blame but himself.

The Lakers started rebuilding, and they did much of it through gambling.  Caron Butler for Kwame Brown?  Andrew *who*?  You're picking up CHRIS MIHM to play center?  But as some of the moves started to pan out the Lakers climbed back into the playoff hunt....

...until Kobe Bryant apparently insisted that he wanted to be traded.  He was going to Chicago, because he didn't have enough talent around him there in Los Angeles.  Even a few of the Laker faithful started preparing for life without Bryant.  Only the front office didn't give in to his demand...and into that season, they acquired a gem for a big bag of garbage (in fairness, with the gem's brother carrying the bag).  Kobe won the MVP, and went to the Finals again.  Now Bryant's a happy Laker again, because the All-Star has only recently complained about the number of touches he's getting....

ARROGANCE BEYOND BELIEF.  Same as it was when he was an undeserving All-Star back in 1998.

So why cheer for LeBron over Kobe?  Isn't he just as arrogant?  And come on - buying a Hummer before he'd played a single game?  He's not NEARLY as squeaky-clean as Kobe *WAS*....

Except that LeBron came in and was dominant from game 1.  I thought it was preposterous to assume that he'd come in and live up to all the hype.  But he did.

LeBron deferred to other teammates at times.  He didn't complain about the teammates he had, even though he was playing in one of the darker corner's of basketball's outer darkness, in CLEVELAND.  He didn't have to be the player who took the buzzer-beating shot.  If he saw someone open, HE PASSED.  And in his fourth year, he took the Cavaliers to the Finals.  (The cast of characters:  Larry Hughes, Zydrunas Ilgauskus, Drew Gooden, Sasha Pavlovic, Donyell Marshall, Anderson Varejao, Damon Jones, Eric Snow, Daniel Gibson...what the heck are these guys doing in the Finals?  (Spurs asked the same thing.))  Played on the Olympic Team at first opportunity.  (He wasn't busy dealing with the aftermath of a rape charge.)  He's not criticized for arm-flailing take-downs and wild elbows because he hasn't played that kind of dirty basketball to this point.  His sportsmanship is starting to come into question, but he's not fighting with his teammates.

So I'm not too big on the "poor Kobe" stuff.  He's the most talented two-guard in basketball today, but I wouldn't want him on my team....too much baggage.  He got praise he didn't deserve long ago, so as far as I'm concerned, if he's not getting all he's due now, then I'm okay with that.

HOWEVER:  there is validity to the failure of the media to criticize some of LeBron's boorish behavior, or to take him to task for some of his failures and weaknesses.  The lack of sportsmanship is perhaps the only thing he's been criticized for, and it's been light criticism despite the fact that this has now happened *TWICE*.  And it's a legitimate question, especially when asked by someone who isn't trying to hype someone else...

What I find interesting is that the people who are griping the most about this are the Kobe Bryant fans.  I just want to know where they all were in 1998.  Oh...nevermind.  They were busy stuffing ballot boxes to get Kobe Bryant into the All-Star Game.

So, if the question is "Why is LeBron treated so well by the media and Bryant with so much venom?", then my answer to the question is, "Because I'd rather do a positive spin piece of Barack Obama than on Hillary Clinton.  I may not entirely know what one is yet, but he's impressed so far, while the other isn't one I'm all that impressed with based on track record."  If the question is, "Why is LeBron never challenged by the media?"  then I find that a good question...depending on who it comes from.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »

Whose plan, hers, or Kobe's?

There is absolutely no question that the rape accusations put a stain on the "squeaky-clean Kobe" image that eveyone tried to cultivate and Laker fans used to praise. 

Kobe's ascension timed so closely with the Jordan retirement put Bryant in the spotlight at a time when NBA fans weren't too happy with the NBA players in general.  And so many of us were still aghast that a second-year player who wasn't even starting on his own team was voted into the All-Star Game, as if the keys for the kingdom were being passed to him as the greatest player, when he couldn't even get off the bench on his own team yet.  Kobe Bryant was hyped beyond belief, long before he deserved it, and acted as if it was all well and good.

Arrogance beyond belief.  That's what I saw back then, and said so, over and over, all the while listening to how I shouldn't be on Kobe's case, because "He's a good kid."

Then, Kobe developed as a player.  Started deserving *SOME* of the accoloades.  But then, he couldn't play "second fiddle," even if it was to the league's most dominant big man.  Arrogance beyond belief.  Granted, Shaq was a lazy buffoon - as most of us non-Laker types were willing to point out and most Laker fans were willing to admit - but he was the hub around which everything else turned.  And fans of the team that gave us the GREATEST EXAMPLE IN HISTORY of how to play second fiddle when you're every bit as good as the centerpiece, instead of ripping the arrogant kid for what he was doing, EXCUSED HIM for it.  They had their Michael Jordan knock-off.  "Oh, he's a good kid.  You just hate him because he's not on your team."

Side note:  on this board, JUST THE OTHER DAY, I saw someone actually repeat - *AGAIN* - that those of us who don't like Kobe Bryant would secretly love to get him on our team.  Dwyane Wade - sure.  Brandon Roy - you bet.  Kevin Martin, Ray Allen, Michael Redd a host of others.  Kobe Bryant is better than every one of those guys, and I could care less - I'd rather have a player that I can actually cheer for and not be sickened by it.

Back to the main theme....

The Lakers lose in 2003, and all the criticism was directed at Shaq's laziness - which is pretty much on the money, although some of us would argue that some degree of blame should be on Bryant for the petulant whining he was doing - and Shaq and Kobe are doing the finger-pointing routine.  So you bring in Gary Payton and Karl Malone, and you're ready to start winning again.  And then the rape accusation comes to light.

Defenders of Kobe want to say, "Oh, it's just a money-grabbing ho."  And it may well be.  Given the culture of the NBA, with tons of money around, you'd figure there are a lot of money-grabbing ho's around....looking to get rich quick by bedding a superstar.  I mean, we've seen the Jordan rape accusations, the Magic rape accusations, the Larry Bird rape accusations, the Abdul-Jabbar rape accusations all these years, right?  We all know these guys were probably sleeping around - but how many were charged with *RAPE*?  All of a sudden, Kobe Bryant really *HAD* set himself apart...he had been CHARGED.

There were many in the Anti-Bryant camp who looked at the rape charge as vindication - that this squeaky-clean, good-boy image of Bryant was the complete fake that they had been screaming for years and years.  Even to this day, tout Bryant too much, and the rape charge comes up - just like it did in this thread.  And after *YEARS* of listening to people tout the squeaky-clean, good-guy image, it was *GONE*.  Even if you subscribe to the "money-grabbing ho" theory, there's still the reply of "What kind of squeaky-clean, good-guy sleeps around with a money-grabbing ho?" 

And Bryant then one-man-showed the favored Lakers out of the Finals against the Pistons.

The next season, a smirking Bryant inked a new contract, after giving everyone signals that he was leaving - only after O'Neal was traded.  Payton was then sent packing, and Malone was alienated and decided to retire.  Even Phil Jackson was gone.  It was Kobe's team.  And what a team - it was the trip to the cellar for the new Jordan.  And he didn't have anyone to blame but himself.

The Lakers started rebuilding, and they did much of it through gambling.  Caron Butler for Kwame Brown?  Andrew *who*?  You're picking up CHRIS MIHM to play center?  But as some of the moves started to pan out the Lakers climbed back into the playoff hunt....

...until Kobe Bryant apparently insisted that he wanted to be traded.  He was going to Chicago, because he didn't have enough talent around him there in Los Angeles.  Even a few of the Laker faithful started preparing for life without Bryant.  Only the front office didn't give in to his demand...and into that season, they acquired a gem for a big bag of garbage (in fairness, with the gem's brother carrying the bag).  Kobe won the MVP, and went to the Finals again.  Now Bryant's a happy Laker again, because the All-Star has only recently complained about the number of touches he's getting....

ARROGANCE BEYOND BELIEF.  Same as it was when he was an undeserving All-Star back in 1998.

So why cheer for LeBron over Kobe?  Isn't he just as arrogant?  And come on - buying a Hummer before he'd played a single game?  He's not NEARLY as squeaky-clean as Kobe *WAS*....

Except that LeBron came in and was dominant from game 1.  I thought it was preposterous to assume that he'd come in and live up to all the hype.  But he did.

LeBron deferred to other teammates at times.  He didn't complain about the teammates he had, even though he was playing in one of the darker corner's of basketball's outer darkness, in CLEVELAND.  He didn't have to be the player who took the buzzer-beating shot.  If he saw someone open, HE PASSED.  And in his fourth year, he took the Cavaliers to the Finals.  (The cast of characters:  Larry Hughes, Zydrunas Ilgauskus, Drew Gooden, Sasha Pavlovic, Donyell Marshall, Anderson Varejao, Damon Jones, Eric Snow, Daniel Gibson...what the heck are these guys doing in the Finals?  (Spurs asked the same thing.))  Played on the Olympic Team at first opportunity.  (He wasn't busy dealing with the aftermath of a rape charge.)  He's not criticized for arm-flailing take-downs and wild elbows because he hasn't played that kind of dirty basketball to this point.  His sportsmanship is starting to come into question, but he's not fighting with his teammates.

So I'm not too big on the "poor Kobe" stuff.  He's the most talented two-guard in basketball today, but I wouldn't want him on my team....too much baggage.  He got praise he didn't deserve long ago, so as far as I'm concerned, if he's not getting all he's due now, then I'm okay with that.

HOWEVER:  there is validity to the failure of the media to criticize some of LeBron's boorish behavior, or to take him to task for some of his failures and weaknesses.  The lack of sportsmanship is perhaps the only thing he's been criticized for, and it's been light criticism despite the fact that this has now happened *TWICE*.  And it's a legitimate question, especially when asked by someone who isn't trying to hype someone else...

What I find interesting is that the people who are griping the most about this are the Kobe Bryant fans.  I just want to know where they all were in 1998.  Oh...nevermind.  They were busy stuffing ballot boxes to get Kobe Bryant into the All-Star Game.

So, if the question is "Why is LeBron treated so well by the media and Bryant with so much venom?", then my answer to the question is, "Because I'd rather do a positive spin piece of Barack Obama than on Hillary Clinton.  I may not entirely know what one is yet, but he's impressed so far, while the other isn't one I'm all that impressed with based on track record."  If the question is, "Why is LeBron never challenged by the media?"  then I find that a good question...depending on who it comes from.

Very good post, Joe.  And the only reason I would take Kobe on the Spurs (besides the obvious title) is that the Spurs' other stars are willing to let another star take the limelight.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues