Author Topic: Parker goes for 29 and 13  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Parker goes for 29 and 13
« on: April 26, 2004, 09:01:30 AM »
Parker explodes for 29 points & 13 assists in the series ender against Memphis.  I hope that he learns how to play before the next series.  As some Laker fans like to regularly point out Tony should not even be mentioned with the better point guards in the league.  But find a guard who has done better in the first round:

21 pts - #9 among playoff leaders
52.7 fg% - #5 for players with 35+ shots (top 4 - Martin, Duncan, Gasol, Shaq)
68.8 3pt% - #4 but Parker has more attempts than the first 3 combined.
8.5 assists - #2 in the playoffs
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 09:08:27 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 10:03:17 AM »
I was really impressed with his game not only yesterday but the whole entire series.  He really did a great job of taking the guts out of the Memphis defense.  I know TD was very happy to see plenty of easy baskets generated from Tony Parker drive and dishes/kicks.

Lurker I think the reason why people, not just Laker fans, did not consider Tony Parker one of the best PGs in the league is because he hasnt always been a consistant two punch to Duncan's one punch.  I think the end of last year and again this year that he is shutting alot of people up.  He's been money in the playoffs the past 2 years.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 10:03:54 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 10:35:24 AM »
Parker explodes for 29 points & 13 assists in the series ender against Memphis.  I hope that he learns how to play before the next series.  As some Laker fans like to regularly point out Tony should not even be mentioned with the better point guards in the league.  But find a guard who has done better in the first round:

Right on Bro Lurker.

Logical, sound math.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 10:41:50 AM »
I was really impressed with his game not only yesterday but the whole entire series.  He really did a great job of taking the guts out of the Memphis defense.  I know TD was very happy to see plenty of easy baskets generated from Tony Parker drive and dishes/kicks.

Lurker I think the reason why people, not just Laker fans, did not consider Tony Parker one of the best PGs in the league is because he hasnt always been a consistant two punch to Duncan's one punch.  I think the end of last year and again this year that he is shutting alot of people up.  He's been money in the playoffs the past 2 years.
westkoast has a point, tony has NOT been consistent all season, other wise why would he have been on Pops badside also during the regular season.  Hearing the TNT staff go on and on about how much he has matured this season i was like, "WHAT???"  Tony has stepped up his game since just before the win started, let be honest atleast.  he is doing great right now and i think he will continue to be that way - no marbury hopefully no jason kidd to match up with, he should be good for the rest of the playoffs if he can stay confident.  which i think he will atleast into the next series with his play in the last one.  the kid is doing great!  i for one am glad to see the real frenchie tony parker stand up for us.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

sf101

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 11:03:01 AM »
WC is on the $$, one series dosen't make a great PG. We'll see if he can continue it in Round 2.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »

Oh, if only one round meant the ENTIRE playoffs! :lol:   He definately was playing against tough D, wasn't he?  :lol:  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 12:17:41 PM »
Parker explodes for 29 points & 13 assists in the series ender against Memphis.  I hope that he learns how to play before the next series.  As some Laker fans like to regularly point out Tony should not even be mentioned with the better point guards in the league.  But find a guard who has done better in the first round:

Oh, if only one round meant the ENTIRE playoffs! :lol:   He definately was playing against tough D, wasn't he?  :lol:
Yes, Memphis is a fairly good defensive team...finished the season ranked ahead of the Lakers.  But then we wouldn't want facts to interrupt your hating.

Probably would be way too much to ask for you to just acknowledge that the kid played great and is much better than you want to admit.  It is easy....even the analysts and commentators are beginning to notice.  But even after the Spurs hoist another trophy you will find some lame @$$ excuse as to why they are no good.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 12:21:07 PM »
Parker explodes for 29 points & 13 assists in the series ender against Memphis.  I hope that he learns how to play before the next series.  As some Laker fans like to regularly point out Tony should not even be mentioned with the better point guards in the league.  But find a guard who has done better in the first round:

Yes, Memphis is a fairly good defensive team...finished the season ranked ahead of the Lakers.  But then we wouldn't want facts to interrupt your hating.

Probably would be way too much to ask for you to just acknowledge that the kid played great and is much better than you want to admit.  It is easy....even the analysts and commentators are beginning to notice.  But even after the Spurs hoist another trophy you will find some lame @$$ excuse as to why they are no good.
I didn't know regular season defense was the same as playoff defense.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 12:51:48 PM »
Maybe not the same...but a fairly good indicator.  How a team plays defense for 6 months very seldom changes by much in the playoffs.  A team that scrambles and applies pressure, creates steals and lives off their defense (like Memphis) especially doesn't change in the playoffs.

And Memphis wasn't lacking in stepping up their physical play in the playoffs as mandated (especially this year) by the league.  You should have seen the no call that Parker received at the beginning of the game....most times it would have been a flagrant foul.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:52:14 PM by Lurker »
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 01:15:11 PM »
Maybe not the same...but a fairly good indicator.  How a team plays defense for 6 months very seldom changes by much in the playoffs.  A team that scrambles and applies pressure, creates steals and lives off their defense (like Memphis) especially doesn't change in the playoffs.

And Memphis wasn't lacking in stepping up their physical play in the playoffs as mandated (especially this year) by the league.  You should have seen the no call that Parker received at the beginning of the game....most times it would have been a flagrant foul.
Not always.  In fact with the way adjustments are made a good regular season defensive team doesn't mean they will be a good playoff defensive team.  Good playoff defensive teams, like the Spurs, are able to make adjustments depending on who and how the other team is playing.  The Grizz were a good defensive team in the regular season but were unable to make the proper adjustments because its a whole different ball game in the playoffs.  The scrambling defense worked well when teams were running/gunning and playing alot of one on one with the Grizz.  You saw how sorry their defense looked against the Spurs when it was in the half court set.  They looked nothing like they did during the regular season.  Scramble defensive is easy to exploit when you have alot of posting up and half court sets on the offensive end.  Its not very easy to scramble when the ball is walked up the court, thrown into the post, and then thrown back out.  Also throw into the mix that the mental drain from being in a post season game keeps a scramble defense from having that energy it thrives on.

If the team is good in the regular season on the defensive end then it could be an indicator if they will be a good playoff defensive team......but I hardly say that each and everytime a team is good in the regular season that they will be good in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 01:18:11 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 01:37:35 PM »
Parker has always been a good offensive threat, consistency has always been an issue as well.  As far as everything else expected from a PG, nothing special about dumping the ball into TD, in that regard Fishers is just as good.  I haven't seen the new "open" offensive set the Spurs run so maybe Parker will now be able to showcase his PG skills, we'll see in the next round.

On defense, there is nothing to write home about regarding Parker.

Parker should have a good offensive series against the Lakers, they really can't stop Parker, never have before.  GP will probably post Parker up alot and eat him alive if PJ lets him.  GP should own Parker in the post, maybe enough to offset Parkers offensive pressure.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 03:17:26 PM »

Memphis was a decent defensive team in the regular season but I only saw them play one game with any kind of confidence in the playoffs (even the analysts and commentators noticed that).  

As for giving him his props, sure, I'll be happy to do that when he does it against the Lakers.  I would have done it last year but he played crappy against LA in the playoffs -- instead I gave props to the players who deserved it like TD, Speedy Jackson and Rose.  If Parker can have a great series against LA, more power to him but unlike you, I don't worship a player, just because he puts on a Spurs jersey.  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 03:22:32 PM »
but unlike you, I don't worship a player, just because he puts on a Spurs jersey.
No, you actually hate a player once they put on a Spurs jersey.  You save your "love" for those who wear Laker purple & gold.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 03:23:55 PM »
but unlike you, I don't worship a player, just because he puts on a Spurs jersey.
No, you actually hate a player once they put on a Spurs jersey.  You save your "love" for those who wear Laker purple & gold.
Hmm, heard me "hate" on Robert Horry?  Or how about Sean Elliott?  Or TD?  Or Rose?  In fact, I think I've said more good things about these players in the last year than you've said good about the Lakers in your entire lifetime.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 03:27:29 PM »
Hmm, heard me "hate" on Robert Horry?  Or how about Sean Elliott?  Or TD?  Or Rose?  In fact, I think I've said more good things about these players in the last year than you've said good about the Lakers in your entire lifetime.
Give Lurker a break Randy, he's got to be upset about something with you, even if he has to make it up.

The two sides of "Samakie Walker" drive the point home about who sees what in which jersey.  "Samaki" nuff said.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"