Author Topic: Jameer Nelson trying to return to the Magic lineup durring the NBA Finals  (Read 5350 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Magic considering G Nelson for Finals

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Orlando is evaluating All-Star point guard Jameer Nelson for a possible return to the Magic lineup for the NBA Finals that begin Thursday night in Los Angeles.

Magic spokesman Joel Glass said on Sunday that Nelson's rehabilitation from a shoulder injury is ahead of schedule but that his status remains uncertain.

Nelson has been out since early February with what had been called a season-ending shoulder tear.

Magic president Bob Vander Weide told The Orlando Sentinel after Saturday's win against Cleveland that he wanted Nelson to take another MRI and consult with doctors for a possible comeback.

Nelson has been working out and has said he has full range of motion. But Magic general manager Otis Smith has repeatedly said there is no way Nelson could return this season.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Yikes, he would cause major problems for the Lakers.  He pretty much won the game for the Magic this season at Staples.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Yikes, he would cause major problems for the Lakers.  He pretty much won the game for the Magic this season at Staples.

He also hasn't been playing basketball for half the season....

I honestly don't expect a guy who has been out this long to come back in game 1 and do major damage.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
It's one thing to be able to play and another to play at a playoff level after being out for so long.  I'd be very surprised, but if he could play it would boost the Magic's chances even more.

The team replaced him with Alston and it's gotten them to the NBA finals so far. I'd say as long as the Magic keep winning there'd be no reason to make a change, but if the Lakers suddenly look unbeatable, this move might give the Magic a psychological boost.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
It's one thing to be able to play and another to play at a playoff level after being out for so long.  I'd be very surprised, but if he could play it would boost the Magic's chances even more.

The team replaced him with Alston and it's gotten them to the NBA finals so far. I'd say as long as the Magic keep winning there'd be no reason to make a change, but if the Lakers suddenly look unbeatable, this move might give the Magic a psychological boost.

The Magic have to be careful and not risk Jameer's career.  I think Jameer competitiveness is getting the better of him.  I don't think he suits up in this year's playoffs.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
I honestly don't expect a guy who has been out this long to come back in game 1 and do major damage.

Jameer can came back at 30% and be better than anthony johnson.  I don't think anyone's expecting Jameer to come back and play at a starters level.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4224810

Updated: June 3, 2009, 9:40 AM ET
Players: Nelson to play in NBA Finals

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Orlando Magic players say Jameer Nelson will play in the NBA Finals, even though the All-Star point guard and his coach remain publicly pessimistic.

Nelson participated in a full team practice Tuesday for the first time since tearing the labrum in his right shoulder Feb. 2. While Nelson and coach Stan Van Gundy still said the point guard's status won't be determined until game day, players said Nelson looked "terrific" and expect him to be on the court against the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I expect to see him out there at some point in the series," backup point guard Anthony Johnson said.

Nelson had what was then called season-ending surgery Feb. 19. Nelson's rehabilitation was supposed to take at least another two months.

Game 1 of the Finals is Thursday night in Los Angeles, and healed or not, Nelson wants to play.

"I'm not saying I'm any tougher or stronger than anybody, but I've been known to do some amazing things sometimes," Nelson said Tuesday, again lobbying for playing time.

Magic general manager Otis Smith had repeatedly said Nelson will not play again this season. But he recanted his comments Monday and said a quicker recovery and the chance of winning a championship has forced him to at least take a look at Nelson

"It's still no in my mind," Smith said. "There's a very smidgen of a chance he can play."

That "smidgen" seems to be growing.

Nelson has been playing full-court games and practicing in non-contact drills for the last two weeks. Tuesday, he participated in every drill.

Players said Nelson wasn't in his All-Star form, but even not completely healthy, he was better than most NBA point guards.

"He was terrific," Magic forward Mickael Pietrus said. "Hopefully, he will play and can help us win."

Starting point guard Rafer Alston expressed similar optimism.

"I was going to try to run him ragged out there, but I didn't want to cross him over," Alston said. "He did cross me over a couple times."

The Lakers are preparing as if Nelson will play -- and for good reason.

Orlando was 2-0 against Los Angeles this season. Nelson was Orlando's leading scorer in both those games, averaging 27.5 points.

And with the Lakers' troubles guarding point guards in the postseason, they're not taking any chances.

"He's a terrific player. He's really come on a lot in the last year as a player," Lakers coach Phil Jackson. "Someone's got to play that position and we have to match whatever happens there. He has the speed and intelligence to play that position very well for that team."

Nelson has been trying to convince the Magic for a chance at playing since the playoffs began, with each round the team advances the idea -- and the talk -- of him returning grows.

For the Lakers, Nelson is just one more offensive weapon they have to worry about.

"They add another scorer," Los Angeles' Kobe Bryant said. "They have a team full of them, but he is another player you're going to have to deal with on defense."

The Magic's title hopes seemingly took a major hit after Nelson was injured. A trade-deadline deal that brought Alston from Houston largely saved the Magic's season, allowing the rotation to remain the same and Johnson to continue to provide solid play as Alston's backup.

The Magic are hoping Nelson can only add to that success.

Van Gundy, perhaps trying to keep his coaching strategy a secret, again expressed doubt Tuesday whether Nelson could seriously return for the Finals. But he also said that even if Nelson doesn't play in Game 1, he could play later in the series.

"He was OK," Van Gundy said, shrugging his shoulders. "We'll have to wait and see."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Honestly, I hope he comes back.  I feel that you can't have a player come back and make a huge impact right away when being gone so long.  Now throw in the fact it's the playoffs and the NBA finals.  Coming back during the regular season and make a big impact right away is tough.  Usually it takes a player a few games to get his in-game timing going.  The Magic don't really have 3 games to wait for him to do that.  Their current PGs, while not as good as Nelson at full strength, have done a solid job.  They are in the finals right?  I think it would be beneficial to the Lakers for a guy who is out of sync to take up minutes more so than guys who have contributed to the success in the playoffs.

If this was the Suns 2 years ago or maybe the Spurs I could understand the sense of urgency in wanting to win a championship NOW rather than later.  This Orlando team is not 'old' and they are going to be contenders for years.  Why risk Nelson getting hurt if there is a strong chance they can make it back next year?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
If he plays, he'll probably come in as a back-up to Alston.  Obviously, it will depend on how well he does when in there.  Like every player, he dreamed of being in the finals since he first picked up a basketball, and he will try to get in and do a good job.

Against the Lakers 2nd unit, he'll actually have a tougher time, since Farmar is quicker at this stage than Fish.  That's a good thing for LA, since he toasted Fish in their two regular season meetings.

But a point guard is a big part of a team, and his teamates think he'd add something to the mix.  From a psychological standpoint it's a net positive for Orlando and a negative for LA.

The real question is, do they need him, as they got through some very tough games in the playoffs without him.  I picked Orlando to win the series without him.  If he can come in and play well that's just gravy for the Club.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
If he plays, he'll probably come in as a back-up to Alston.  Obviously, it will depend on how well he does when in there.  Like every player, he dreamed of being in the finals since he first picked up a basketball, and he will try to get in and do a good job.

Against the Lakers 2nd unit, he'll actually have a tougher time, since Farmar is quicker at this stage than Fish.  That's a good thing for LA, since he toasted Fish in their two regular season meetings.

But a point guard is a big part of a team, and his teamates think he'd add something to the mix.  From a psychological standpoint it's a net positive for Orlando and a negative for LA.

The real question is, do they need him, as they got through some very tough games in the playoffs without him.  I picked Orlando to win the series without him.  If he can come in and play well that's just gravy for the Club.

Why is it a negative for LA?  Again with this Rick....

I agree it's def a positive for Orlando since he was a contributor but I don't see why it's a 'negative' for LA.  He's a good player but let's not ask like this ruins the series for the Lakers.  Their success is based on the paint and the ability to keep Orlando from scoring in the paint as much as possible.  I highly doubt a guy with a bad shoulder is going to attack the paint over and over.  THAT would be a concern but not a 'negative' since Howard is the only guy who can score in the paint on a consistent basis for them.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
This doesn't concern me one bit.  If anything I think it's a risky move for Orlando. 

Jameer is a great player and he scorched the Lakers in the game at Staples (I remember crying in my beer).  BUT Stan Van Gundy has to be careful here because this current lineup and rotation is what got them to the finals.  I'm not saying Rafer Alston is better than Jameer, because he's clearly not even close.  But I doubt Jameer can step on the court after not playing for 4 months, in the NBA Finals no less, and play at that high level was at prior to the injury.  Even as a back up.  And I agree he's light years better the AJ, but I'd be more concerned with how his minutes effect Alston's play. 

Rafer Alston has always been inconsistent.  He's had a nice stretch here in the playoffs, especially against Cleveland, but this guy makes Lamar Odom look consistent.  He can drop 28 one night, and 3 the next night.  I think bringing in Jameer at this point for some of his minutes, could effect Alston's play significantly and the overall chemistry.  Maybe not, but it's a big risk to take for Orlando when their current formula is what got them here. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I agree it's def a positive for Orlando since he was a contributor but I don't see why it's a 'negative' for LA.

Not that I think a hobbled Nelson is going to make a difference, but if something's a positive for the Magic, how is it not a negative for the Lakers?  I mean, you are playing them right?  Anything that positively affects the Magic negatively effects the Lakers.  It may not be a big negative affect, but they go hand in hadn.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I agree it's def a positive for Orlando since he was a contributor but I don't see why it's a 'negative' for LA.

Not that I think a hobbled Nelson is going to make a difference, but if something's a positive for the Magic, how is it not a negative for the Lakers?  I mean, you are playing them right?  Anything that positively affects the Magic negatively effects the Lakers.  It may not be a big negative affect, but they go hand in hadn.

For the exact reason you said, a hobbled Nelson is not going to make a difference.  Having him back to give them a confidence boost is not a 'negative' to the Lakers because I see it has having a real impact.  Having a fully healthy Nelson would be a negative.  A boost that he can suit up is not going to propel them into dominance.

They are trying to find a better brace for Bynum.  That would be a positive for him since he doesn't like the one he currently has.  Would that be a negative for the Orlando Magic? Not really because I don't expect a new brace to turn Bynum into the center the Lakers really need in this series.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
For the exact reason you said, a hobbled Nelson is not going to make a difference.  Having him back to give them a confidence boost is not a 'negative' to the Lakers because I see it has having a real impact

then how is it a positive for the magic?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
For the exact reason you said, a hobbled Nelson is not going to make a difference.  Having him back to give them a confidence boost is not a 'negative' to the Lakers because I see it has having a real impact

then how is it a positive for the magic?

A positive for a basketball team doesn't automatically make it a negative for the opposing team if it's not going to effect them that much (or at all in some cases)  That was my point with the Bynum example of LA looking for a better brace for him.

Ariza came back for the finals last year and that was a 'positive' for the Lakers but meant nothing to the Celtics.  Not that Ariza and Nelson have/had the same role.  Just another example....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:05:54 PM by westkoast »