Author Topic: That was INTENSE! Lakers pull out a game 5 monster!  (Read 3078 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
That was INTENSE! Lakers pull out a game 5 monster!
« on: May 27, 2009, 10:45:27 PM »
What a game!  The Lakers front line finally showed up.  The refs really let them play towards the middle of the 4th.  Tied after the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quaters and the 4th looked like a pull away from the Lakers but the Nuggets buckled down and got it down to 4 points and Carmello was pretty good at the end.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: That was INTENSE! Lakers pull out a game 5 monster!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:09:38 PM »
Couldn't watch the game (DirecTV is out due to the construction at my house), but followed it on the NBA GameCast.

Looked to me like John Starks...err..sorry...J.R. Smith was doing his best to shoot Denver out of the game.

Was Gasol getting the ball much?  Because the few times I saw his name come up in the 4th it was shooting free throws.  What'd he take - like one shot in the 4th?

Very simple...Lakers win game 6 *IF* they're smart enough to milk Gasol.  Another game where Derek Fisher takes more shots than Gasol is *NOT* a good idea.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 11:18:29 PM »
Couldn't watch the game (DirecTV is out due to the construction at my house), but followed it on the NBA GameCast.

Looked to me like John Starks...err..sorry...J.R. Smith was doing his best to shoot Denver out of the game.

Was Gasol getting the ball much?  Because the few times I saw his name come up in the 4th it was shooting free throws.  What'd he take - like one shot in the 4th?

Very simple...Lakers win game 6 *IF* they're smart enough to milk Gasol.  Another game where Derek Fisher takes more shots than Gasol is *NOT* a good idea.

Bynum was getting a ton of touches early on with mixed results and it was driving me nuts that Gasol was not getting the ball BUT in the 4th when they were FORCE feeding Gasol, I say forced because Gasol was deferring and Kobe told him to STOP it and take your SHOT.  It worked and Gasol got some good looks inside but it was Odom that was the difference maker and MVP of the game.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:22:22 PM »
Billups was being uncharacteristically mistake prone and indecisive in the game.  He either lost his poise or got paid off.  :o

Kenyon started making some boneheaded plays, so he finally played down to expectations.  Early on Kenyon was killing the Lakers with solid 15 to 18 foot baseline jumpshots but he started missing and second guessing himself and started attacking the rim but was not effective.  There was on key play late in the 4th where he went up for a dunk and hit the bottom of the backboard and lost the ball.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:51:44 AM »
One other thing, "Birdman" was a beast in the first half.  He was a one man block party including one amazing block on a Lamar dunk attempt where it looked like he got his finger smashed by the ball and rim, great effort on his part.  In the 2nd half he was getting posterized by Brown and Odom but he was a major factor non the less.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:42:04 AM »
Lakers came to play and their role players came through. Odom, Bynum and even Ariza did much better jobs than they had all series.  Fisher was appallingly bad, just dumb play after dumb play. I'd be very surprised if this isn't his last season.

The Lakers were taking the game over at the end of the third and beginning of the fourth and then the Nuggets made a run and got it to 5.  Then the refs did their best to take the Nuggets out of the game by calling an offensive foul on Nene, which seemed like a bullshit call, but they didn't show a replay. But they did give Nene a technical for arguing. Then, Gasol backed Nene down just below the key, and they called his 6th foul on him. That one they did show the replay on and it was clearly an offensive foul.

That killed the Nuggets momentum and any chance for giving us an exciting game at the end.  Without Nene they had no chance of keeping LA out of the middle.  IMO, the Lakers would have won the game anyway, but the refs ruined what could have been a much better contest.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
Lakers came to play and their role players came through. Odom, Bynum and even Ariza did much better jobs than they had all series.  Fisher was appallingly bad, just dumb play after dumb play. I'd be very surprised if this isn't his last season.

The Lakers were taking the game over at the end of the third and beginning of the fourth and then the Nuggets made a run and got it to 5.  Then the refs did their best to take the Nuggets out of the game by calling an offensive foul on Nene, which seemed like a bullshit call, but they didn't show a replay. But they did give Nene a technical for arguing. Then, Gasol backed Nene down just below the key, and they called his 6th foul on him. That one they did show the replay on and it was clearly an offensive foul.

That killed the Nuggets momentum and any chance for giving us an exciting game at the end.  Without Nene they had no chance of keeping LA out of the middle.  IMO, the Lakers would have won the game anyway, but the refs ruined what could have been a much better contest.

Those two fouls were questionable, and Nene's 6th foul could have been called offensive as well.  I've seen both of those fouls called against the Lakers in Denver so I'm not shedding any tears.

Rick, how come you FAIL to mention the flagrant foul that Melo got away with?  He CLEARLY grabbed/hit Kobe ABOVE the shoulders when he was going for the rim.  Above the shoulders is supposed to be an automatic tech, it was worse than the Bynum foul you seem to think was so dangerous.  Melo should have got a flagrant and a 1 game suspension since that would put him over the limit, but those refs you're so found of didn't give it to him nor will the league upgrade it to a flagrant.  Game 4 was an officiating disgrace so 2 calls in game 5 seems like a pretty good trade for the Thuggets.  You must be a big fan of Karl, whinning like a baby about the refs after all the BS the Thuggets have gotten away with in the series.  The Thuggets had a +14 FT advantage in game 4 and the Lakers had a +5 advantage, if it wasn't for the refs the Lakers would have won this series already.  Good call Rick.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 09:01:49 AM »
Laker hate causes blindness!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 10:04:32 AM »
Joe, Gasol was getting fed the ball but he was too far out.  It's not so much Gasol needs to take shots as much as they have poor spacing when the ball doesn't go into a post player first and come back out.  When they run isolation or load up on a side they get themselves into a lot of trouble.  Both Kobe and Gasol did EXCELLENT when it came to making the pass that led to the pass.  It doesn't come up on the stat sheet but they made all the right decisions that initiated some great looks for their teammates.

WOW pretty much summed up all the good stuff so I am going to take a crack at the stuff I did not like....

- Gasol needs to do a better job of establishing position.   When Bynum feels like playing (yes feels) he does a solid job of this.  I don't think he's that much stronger than Pau Gasol to be honest.

You can't demand the ball and then let Nene push you 2 feet off the box.  While Gasol has a solid jumper for a big man he is still taking a jumper.  That is not doing what us Laker fans or Gasol himself have said which is use height to your advantage.

- Fisher is making poor decisions.  I can live with the poor shooting but the whole reason he is taking minutes from other players is he is out there to make the right decisions.  So far in the last two series he has not really done that.  He had a HORRIBLE pass in the 4th on a fast break that seemed like it was his first year in the league.  He also led the 3-point charge in game 4 that got them into a lot of trouble.  I am very confused on what is going on with him and don't even have so much as a suggestion on what can be fixed.  They are just silly mental mistakes, hesitations, or just bad shot selection.  That is not the Derek Fisher any of us know.

- Lamar Odom is powered by candy which explains why he will be on a sugar high one game like last night and crash the next.  For those who don't get what I am saying ESPN ran a head-scratching-who-okay'd-this piece on Lamar Odom's candy addiction.  Yup, one of the biggest games in all of sports currently and they fill pre-game with how Lamar Odom really likes candy.  I wasn't sure if I was watching a cheesy Laker nozer FOX SPORTS WEST regular season pre-game show or if I was watching the pre-game to the biggest game of the season (in terms of what was at stake, finals trip IMO).   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:08:12 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 10:19:18 AM »
The biggest problem for the Lakers is the Thuggets do not respect/fear the Lakers outside shooting.  They are sagging off their man and crowding the paint.  When Ariza or Walton try the entry pass the Thuggets defenders are daring them to shot by sagging into the lap of Bynum or Gasol, they are now doing that on Fisher.  So while the Lakers have the advantage in the paint there is no way for the Lakers to get them the ball because they defenders are sagging.  Add to that the fact that Gasol does not like to work in traffic and you can easily see why the Lakers are struggling.  Bynum did a good job of sticking with it after having zero success early on.  Gasol didn't realy get going until the Lakers were able to spread the floor because Denver was double teaming Kobe.  IMO if the Thuggets would have stuck to the game plan of giving up the outside shot while crowding the paint they would have had a better shot in the 4th.

On the flip, just look at how open the paint is for Denver's big men to work and for the cutters to slash.  Denver's outside shooting forces the Lakers to space the floor and leave the paint open.  In order for the Lakers to succeed this year they are going to start making outside shots, I'm surprised they've done this well but that has EVERYTHING to do with the true MVP Kobe Bryant.  Kobe is carrying this team since everything the Lakers are trying to do seems to fail because everyone is shooting so poorly.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
I turned the game off early in the 3rd so didn't see the deciding part of the game.  Except that when Denver gave up a 5 point lead in the last 30 seconds of the first half I basicaaly figured they would bonehead the game away.  3 failures to inbound the ball in 5 games is a DEFINITE sign of poor coaching.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »
Nene's 6th foul looked like an almost identical play to Walton's 6th foul the game before.  That is a probably one of the toughest calls to make in the NBA and more often than not it goes against the defender.

Huge win for the Lakers.  When Lamar plays like that, they are tough to beat.  Nothing new, we've all known that all along. 

I would have liked to see Gasol get a few more touches, but overall I think he had one of his best games of the season.  His defense, passes out of the double team, rebounding and overall play were stellar.  Some of his blocks were incredible.  Great job of contesting the ball while preventing the foul with the body.  George Karl can cry all he wants, and I get he's just lobbying like Phil did, he almost has too, but the reality is that those were legit blocks by Gasol.  He was killing it in the paint and that's what the team really needs him to do.  He doesn't need to score 25 when he's that big of a presence on D and the ball is being moved around on O. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »

Those two fouls were questionable, and Nene's 6th foul could have been called offensive as well.  I've seen both of those fouls called against the Lakers in Denver so I'm not shedding any tears.

Rick, how come you FAIL to mention the flagrant foul that Melo got away with?  He CLEARLY grabbed/hit Kobe ABOVE the shoulders when he was going for the rim.  Above the shoulders is supposed to be an automatic tech, it was worse than the Bynum foul you seem to think was so dangerous.  Melo should have got a flagrant and a 1 game suspension since that would put him over the limit, but those refs you're so found of didn't give it to him nor will the league upgrade it to a flagrant.  Game 4 was an officiating disgrace so 2 calls in game 5 seems like a pretty good trade for the Thuggets.  You must be a big fan of Karl, whinning like a baby about the refs after all the BS the Thuggets have gotten away with in the series.  The Thuggets had a +14 FT advantage in game 4 and the Lakers had a +5 advantage, if it wasn't for the refs the Lakers would have won this series already.  Good call Rick.

Because the foul that Melo committed, was accidental, or at least it appeared that way to me  He was going for the ball and missed and hit his friend in the head.  He knew he made a mistake and went over to Kobe to make sure he was ok. In this instance the ball was above Kobe's head, or even with it.  If it were intentional I'd agree, but it's pretty clear it wasn't.  Kobe wasn't upset about it either, so why were you? 

You've got to be kidding about the refs calling the games in LA's favor. The Nuggets have been more aggressive on the offensive end for most of the series which is why they've gotten the calls. Last night, LA was more aggressive, with Odom and Ariza slashing to the basket.  You should know better than to compare the number of calls as though both teams played identically, and you can't use that to determine fairness or bias.  The only thing that indicated bias, was the timing of the calls on Nene, and the fact that at least one of them was a bad call, where Gasol led with his elbow into Nene.

You should be annoyed to, because it turned what was a closely contested game into an easy win for LA, which makes for pretty bad entertainment for non-Laker fans.

The refs haven't interfered with the outcome of games in this series, IMO.  The Lakers deserved to win last night, Denver fell apart in the fourth and missed shot after shot, and most likely would have even with Nene in the game. The only thing Nene would have done was gotten them a few more boards and made life a bit tougher for Gasol and Bynum, he's not a big part of Devner's offense.

Both Karl and Jackson try to work the refs in their post game comments, it's what they do.

This was a bad loss for Denver, it will be interesting to see what happens in the next game. LA will want to close them out to get on to the finals, and if they can come up with an equal effort they will. Denver did not keep their composure last night, they crumbled under the pressure. It will be easier for them at home, but they can't win the series without taking another game in LA, and I doubt that they are mentally tough enough to do so.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »
Because the foul that Melo committed, was accidental, or at least it appeared that way to me  He was going for the ball and missed and hit his friend in the head.  He knew he made a mistake and went over to Kobe to make sure he was ok. In this instance the ball was above Kobe's head, or even with it.  If it were intentional I'd agree, but it's pretty clear it wasn't.  Kobe wasn't upset about it either, so why were you? 

That's the whold point of the rule Rick, what don't you get?  Intentional or NOT, contact above the shoulders is a flagrant.  PLUS, that foul was worse than the one Bynum commited that got your panties twisted.

You've got to be kidding about the refs calling the games in LA's favor. The Nuggets have been more aggressive on the offensive end for most of the series which is why they've gotten the calls. Last night, LA was more aggressive, with Odom and Ariza slashing to the basket.  You should know better than to compare the number of calls as though both teams played identically, and you can't use that to determine fairness or bias.  The only thing that indicated bias, was the timing of the calls on Nene, and the fact that at least one of them was a bad call, where Gasol led with his elbow into Nene.

Laker hate causes blindness is so appropriate for you, how many calls did the Lakers NOT get in Denver?  IMO only game 4 was biased, the rest have been pretty even.  Game one the Nuggets got the calls early the Lakers got them late and game 2 was vice versa but overall they balance out.  Game 4 was not the case.

You should be annoyed to, because it turned what was a closely contested game into an easy win for LA, which makes for pretty bad entertainment for non-Laker fans.

If you feel that way then game 4 was 10X worse, turned a great game into a blowout.  Denver getting every touch call yet hacking away at the Lakers and no foul.

The refs haven't interfered with the outcome of games in this series, IMO.  The Lakers deserved to win last night, Denver fell apart in the fourth and missed shot after shot, and most likely would have even with Nene in the game. The only thing Nene would have done was gotten them a few more boards and made life a bit tougher for Gasol and Bynum, he's not a big part of Devner's offense.

Both Karl and Jackson try to work the refs in their post game comments, it's what they do.

This was a bad loss for Denver, it will be interesting to see what happens in the next game. LA will want to close them out to get on to the finals, and if they can come up with an equal effort they will. Denver did not keep their composure last night, they crumbled under the pressure. It will be easier for them at home, but they can't win the series without taking another game in LA, and I doubt that they are mentally tough enough to do so.

Guess who was the first person to bring the "refs" into the conversation around here rick!  ::)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 12:39:37 PM »

That's the whold point of the rule Rick, what don't you get?  Intentional or NOT, contact above the shoulders is a flagrant. 

Tell that to Brad Miller...and his orthodontic surgeon.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues