Author Topic: Howard's technical rescinded  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Howard's technical rescinded
« on: May 27, 2009, 04:34:13 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApElbBDqLv0Xe2pfUSnVD4Y5nYcB?slug=ap-howard-technicalrescinded&prov=ap&type=lgns

I think it's a good call by the league.  He didn't do anything that players don't do in the heat of battle.  He yelled and glanced down at Varejao.  Big deal.  Certainly nothing excessive, IMO.

On a side note, how stupid is Anthony Johnson?  He's been the one player on Orlando who's been completely unimpressive.  He shouldn't see the light of day on that team.

As much as I hate to admit it, Rafer Alston's almost a better option (even if he takes some bad threes at times).

I guess my point is that the 'one' spot in Orlando stinks.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Howard's technical rescinded
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:42:17 PM »
Just the very fact they have gone back to look at fouls and taken away so many this playoffs says something.

- The flagrant/technical foul thing is getting out of hand.

- 7 is a stupid and random number for technicals especially considering how they hand them out so quickly when two players tangle up

- Instant replay really needs to be used in a number of these situations.  I'm sorry but the league can't get away with not using it except on last second shots.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:50:29 PM »
I think that no technical should be "rescinded" for any reason without disciplining the official who gave it, and ALLOWING A PROTEST OF THE GAME IN QUESTION.

Yes, technicals are being handed out too frequently, but it's because the officials are not calling the game properly.  Call any game unfairly, and somebody is going to get hot about it.  Yes, players are doing too much griping, but I can't completely say that a lot of it is without cause.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:10:25 PM »
I think that no technical should be "rescinded" for any reason without disciplining the official who gave it, and ALLOWING A PROTEST OF THE GAME IN QUESTION.

Yes, technicals are being handed out too frequently, but it's because the officials are not calling the game properly.  Call any game unfairly, and somebody is going to get hot about it.  Yes, players are doing too much griping, but I can't completely say that a lot of it is without cause.

Agree wholeheartedly, particularly about the Howard and Ewing technicals. There's no need for a protest since Orlando was able to overcome the play and win, but there's something seriously wrong with the officials for making those calls in the first place.

Something is very wrong with the NBA if a player can't express emotion after a big play. Taunting is one thing, but celebrating your success after completing a great play is what GETS THE FANS INTO THE GAME.  Players aren't robots, and they aren't without emotion. Expecting them to play that way is idiotic and unrealistic.

The bond between fans and the players is based on emotion, not logic. When a player does something praiseworthy we cheer. When the player celebrates like Howard did after making a shot with Varajo hanging on him shows that the players care as much about the game and winning as the fans do.

The league over-reacted to the fight between Indiana and I can't even remember who. Celbrating is not taunting or putting down your opponent. When you make a big play that gets the fans excited, how can a flesh and blood player not be excited too? That is a big part of why they play the game and why we enjoy it.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »

Because the starter is wearing a suit & tie.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »

It's a credit to the Magic that they are in the position they are in despite scraping the bottom of the barrel for a starting PG.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:27:05 AM »

It's a credit to the Magic that they are in the position they are in despite scraping the bottom of the barrel for a starting PG.

It also helps that their main ball handler in crunch time is their SF.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 03:21:11 PM »
...which just happens to be where one of the better defenders on Cleveland is, if that makes any sense.

Orlando is bucking the odds right now, and I'm convinced it's because having a big like Howard erases a lot of mistakes.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 04:36:16 PM »
...which just happens to be where one of the better defenders on Cleveland is, if that makes any sense.

Orlando is bucking the odds right now, and I'm convinced it's because having a big like Howard erases a lot of mistakes.

Cleveland's SF is IMO the 3rd best defender among their starters.  Both the SG & PF are better man defenders.

Howard allows for the Magic defenders to play tight on the perimeter (SA has done this for years).  You play tight and funnel away from the middle.  If the player beats you defensively then the big man cleans up the mess.  It becomes even easier when you know which offensive player will have the ball.
-Moody Blues