Author Topic: Should David Stern be on suicide watch?  (Read 3437 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Should David Stern be on suicide watch?
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:01:07 PM »
His dream match-up is in jeapordy.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Should David Stern be on suicide watch?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:39 AM »
Cleveland and LA in the Finals.  Write it down.  If I'm wrong, you guys can make fun of me all you want to afterward.  Bragging rights are up for grabs if you've got a different call to make right now.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »
Screw Nike and to Hell with Stern.  It may be a dream matchup in the marketers eyes, but not mine. I want the best team to win, not the team with the most shoe contracts!

Denver is more likeable IMO than LA.  Carmello seems like a nice enough guy to be the star. Dwight is also gaining a lot of attraction with his backboard play.

Stern should just sit back and enjoy the show, and if anything make sure the refs don't defer to the name players when making calls, which drives purists up the wall with frustration.  When LeBron or Kobe drives into someone who is set, have the balls to call the charge or don't put on the uniform! 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 10:22:34 AM »
Denver is more likeable IMO than LA.  Carmello seems like a nice enough guy to be the star. Dwight is also gaining a lot of attraction with his backboard play.

Your credibility and/or judgement is shot.  Mello has/had some major character flaws, selfish-no-defense-no-practice little punk like Iverson.  He has made strides because of his experience on the Olympic team, Kobe really helped this guy take his game to the next level, and it looks like Melo might be taking the next step to becomming a super star.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:29:42 AM »
Cleveland and LA in the Finals.  Write it down.  If I'm wrong, you guys can make fun of me all you want to afterward.  Bragging rights are up for grabs if you've got a different call to make right now.

Pretty much.

I hardly think the Lakers losing one game and the Cavs losing one game means it's over for either.  They are both in tough situations but they also have plenty of talent and most specifically two really talented basketball players but it's not over.

It's a series, not a superbowl!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:45:50 AM »

Your credibility and/or judgement is shot.  Mello has/had some major character flaws, selfish-no-defense-no-practice little punk like Iverson.  He has made strides because of his experience on the Olympic team, Kobe really helped this guy take his game to the next level, and it looks like Melo might be taking the next step to becomming a super star.

But Melo isn't arrogant and he has a nice smile.  He can score a ton too. The spotlight is so bright it hides flaws- look at Shaq!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:49:51 AM »

But Melo isn't arrogant and he has a nice smile.  He can score a ton too. The spotlight is so bright it hides flaws- look at Shaq!

Melo isn't arrogant? LOL.  Okay.  Why because he isn't a Laker or because that is what you were told by media coverage?  The guy is actually very arrogant.  It's just people don't care about him as much as Kobe nor does he get covered as much.  Lebron is an a-hole as well.  This is coming from people I know in Vegas and LA who have met them at events.  Kobe, Lebron, and Melo all act like they are better then everyone else.  Unless you are a big time celebrity, they can benefit from talking to you (like Melo wanting to up his street cred) or you really kiss their ass, they couldn't care less if you dropped dead in front of them.

You know who I was told is NOT like that?  Dwayne Wade.  I've had more than one person say they met him, he was nice and down to earth, and didn't even come off as being a tad bit arrogant.  Just a nice guy all around.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:53:04 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »

Melo isn't arrogant? LOL.  Okay.  Why because he isn't a Laker or because that is what you were told by media coverage?  The guy is actually very arrogant.  It's just people don't care about him as much as Kobe nor does he get covered as much.  Lebron is an a-hole as well.  This is coming from people I know in Vegas and LA who have met them at events.  Kobe, Lebron, and Melo all act like they are better then everyone else.  Unless you are a big time celebrity, they can benefit from talking to you (like Melo wanting to up his street cred) or you really kiss their ass, they couldn't care less if you dropped dead in front of them.

You know who I was told is NOT like that?  Dwayne Wade.  I've had more than one person say they met him, he was nice and down to earth, and didn't even come off as being a tad bit arrogant.  Just a nice guy all around.

Exactly wk, I can't believe rick said that after Melo said in an interview durring the game that nobody can guard him.

Another guy I heard was a real nice humble guy in real life is Artest.  He just gets crazy in front of a camera or microphone.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:58:44 AM »

But Melo isn't arrogant and he has a nice smile.

Rick,

In all honesty you have ZERO credibility with me.  If that is a joke then I think it was funny cause I laughed when I read it.  Melo is another punk-arse-biznatch like Allen Iverson but unlike Iverson, Melo looks like he is learning from guys like Kobe after playing with them in the Olympics.  I actually like Melo and I hope he doesn't end up like that loser Iverson.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 11:04:17 AM »

Exactly wk, I can't believe rick said that after Melo said in an interview durring the game that nobody can guard him.

Another guy I heard was a real nice humble guy in real life is Artest.  He just gets crazy in front of a camera or microphone.

I've heard the same about Ron Artest too.  He walks around in New York in the off-season like a regular person.  He will show up at Rucker just for fun and talk to people like they deserve to be talked to....like people.  Not servants or someone who is there to please said celebrity.

Seriously though, Melo is very arrogant.  Kobe and Lebron are big time as well.  I think you need a bit of arrogance at times.  I have NO problem with Melo saying no one can guard him.  I like the edge that the arrogance brings on the court but let's not pretend like this is exclusive to any one player.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 12:59:17 PM »
I think to be a top athlete you have to believe in yourself and your abilities.  That isn't arrogance, if your abilities are there.

But the way that you interact with others is a big deal as well. Now, I'm not talking about their actual personalities and the way they treat fans, but the image that the media can create that sells products.

Kobe is out, thanks to that incident with the girl. That's why you see so many other players getting endorsements, primarily Wade and Barkley and LeBron.  Kobe is starting on his way back in, but he's lost millions in the process.

They may be assholes in real life, and if you knew them that way, you wouldn't have anything to do with them.  But they aren't projected that way, they're projected as winners.  As tainted as AI was, he was still a media darling when he was winning.  As long as their behavior doesn't interfere with that image the deals still come in.  A good case in point is Barkley and his DWI incident.  He was smart or humble enough, or his handlers were, to know that he should step out of the spotlight for a while to show contrition.  Sure enough a heart-felt apology and he was back in business as though nothing ever happened.  People like to be able to forgive, it gives them a sense of power even if in reality they have almost none.

To a certain extent ignorance is bliss.  It is outrageous that we genuflect to people who are good at playing a game, and giving them fortunes to entertain us.  If we knew what kind of people they really are, like Michael Vick and his dogs, they'd soon find themselves without the endorsement deals. The same could be said for certain actors as well.  We should instead have respect for scientists, and doctors and engineers, people who struggle to solve problems that affect us all, people who work hard to produce real results.  And real economists who speak the truth and try to help run things the right way, only to be ignored by the people in power, who by the way, have as much concern for you as these petulant athletes.

This society is sick to spend so much time worrying about stuff like an NBA title, or watching idiotic television programs or NASCAR.  But they seem to have little interest in taking care of the things that matter, like understanding the place and purpose of the Government and Financial Institutions, and making sure these people do what they are supposed to.  As the US declines, and deservedly so, we should consider how we got into this mess, trusting people who were unworthy to mind the store.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »
Rick it's very hard to even partially agree with you when your bias shines through so much.  Yes Kobe is arrogant but you want to shield others from being pegged by making excuses.  Those same excuses you made for AI could be made for  Kobe Bryant but you don't want them to because you hate the Lakers.  I guess that's the basic point.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
I think to be a top athlete you have to believe in yourself and your abilities.  That isn't arrogance, if your abilities are there.

But the way that you interact with others is a big deal as well. Now, I'm not talking about their actual personalities and the way they treat fans, but the image that the media can create that sells products.

Kobe is out, thanks to that incident with the girl. That's why you see so many other players getting endorsements, primarily Wade and Barkley and LeBron.  Kobe is starting on his way back in, but he's lost millions in the process.

They may be assholes in real life, and if you knew them that way, you wouldn't have anything to do with them.  But they aren't projected that way, they're projected as winners.  As tainted as AI was, he was still a media darling when he was winning.  As long as their behavior doesn't interfere with that image the deals still come in.  A good case in point is Barkley and his DWI incident.  He was smart or humble enough, or his handlers were, to know that he should step out of the spotlight for a while to show contrition.  Sure enough a heart-felt apology and he was back in business as though nothing ever happened.  People like to be able to forgive, it gives them a sense of power even if in reality they have almost none.

To a certain extent ignorance is bliss.  It is outrageous that we genuflect to people who are good at playing a game, and giving them fortunes to entertain us.  If we knew what kind of people they really are, like Michael Vick and his dogs, they'd soon find themselves without the endorsement deals. The same could be said for certain actors as well.  We should instead have respect for scientists, and doctors and engineers, people who struggle to solve problems that affect us all, people who work hard to produce real results.  And real economists who speak the truth and try to help run things the right way, only to be ignored by the people in power, who by the way, have as much concern for you as these petulant athletes.

This society is sick to spend so much time worrying about stuff like an NBA title, or watching idiotic television programs or NASCAR.  But they seem to have little interest in taking care of the things that matter, like understanding the place and purpose of the Government and Financial Institutions, and making sure these people do what they are supposed to.  As the US declines, and deservedly so, we should consider how we got into this mess, trusting people who were unworthy to mind the store.

None of that changes the fact that you are incorrect about Melo not being arrogant.  Melo is arrogant and hasn't accomplished anything in the NBA.  Denver is not more likeable than the Lakers as the numbers at stadiums and on TV have PROVEN.  You're off base as usual with anything regarding the Lakers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »
Sorry but you guys are Laker fans, so fanatical that anything said agasint your team is viewed as blasphemy.

Maybe you should recognize that what Kobe did went so far beyond just being arrogant that there's no comparison!  You can't hide the media circus of a trial or a girl claiming she was violated, all you can do is wait for the memories to subside so you can start using him in commercials.  Note that you don't see Kobe's face, instead you see two puppets.  Just why do you think that is? Kobe is from my hometown, I should want him to do well, but his statements in the media turned me and and nearly everyone in Phila. off.

And again it's not actual arrogance, but PUBLIC PERCEPTION that matters.  You can hide a lot of stuff as long as the athlete behaves himself.   When he makes real news in an unfavorable way, it's going to cost him.

Don't you recognize that much of the basketball world is sick and tired of the Lakers?  Maybe it's their success that does it, but it engenders eventual hatred by those who end up loosing to them. Or maybe it's the simply the arrogance of their fans.  Outside of LA, who really wants them to win? You think any Kings fans or Rockets fans are pulling for LA now? It is the way of the people to love the modest and hate the full.  Being successful and modest in the ideal, and without the modesty, people admire your success, but dislike you just the same. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »
No Rick, that's not really it.  You are notorious for twisting things Laker related and you get called on it.  I mean you admitted in the other thread for enjoying a lot of what Reality says and agreeing with him.  THAT says a lot.     We both admitted that Kobe is arrogant and we know it.  You are the one who is making excuses for others while at the same time not applying similar excuses to Kobe.  It's clear what's going on.    WOW and myself are not even arguing for Laker anything.  We are arguing with you that Melo is  indeed arrogant.  If you would just cut the BS and say you dislike Kobe so that's why his arrogance bothers you more we could stop this debate.  Instead you want to act like no one else is arrogant and it's only Kobe.  Just say you HATE him.  Don't try to do this behind the back, beat around the bush hating.  Just come right out and say it.  Don't try to do 7 degrees of arrogance separation.

Btw...going to trial for what he did has so little to do with arrogance.  I don't even know why that is brought up.  You are literally being Stretch Armstrong in this thread by trying to connect the two.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:01:43 PM by westkoast »