Author Topic: Jerry West comments hurt Kobe?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Jerry West comments hurt Kobe?
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »
"If I had to have somebody make a last-second shot, it would be Kobe Bryant,"  - Jerry West

"But even though it's hard for me to be objective, because I brought Kobe to Los Angeles, I do think LeBron has surpassed Kobe as a player." - Jerry West

Those are some very hurtfull comments from Jerry if you are Kobe Bryant.  Lucky for Lakers fans, Kobe is that type of guy to use that as motivation.  I'm disappointed in Jerry, while he is speaking the truth it's not something you should be throwing out there if you are as close to Kobe as has been reported.  At a minimum you wait until the playoffs are over.

It could be possible that Jerry is trying to motivate Kobe and the Lakers, wether that was his intent or not IMO that is what's going to happen.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jerry West comments hurt Kobe?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:19:31 AM »
I don't think they are really that close anymore to be honest.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
Both are the closers for their teams and they play similar positions.  But LeBron is unique.  Kobe is an exceptional player and current heir apparent to MJ.  LeBron doesn't take after anybody.  There's never been a physically big player who can do what he does with the ball. Magic came close in some ways, because he was also tall and versatile as well as a great ball handler, but Magic wasn't a scorer like LeBron, or if he was we never saw it, because he was surrounded by so many good shooters.

No one like to be told they're not the best, particularly when it comes to the thing they do to make a living.  I'm sure in some ways it bothers Kobe, but he said it best, "that's not my goal".

It isn't going to cause Kobe to play any worse or to doubt himself.  If anything, it will only make him more determined to make his team win. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »
Lebron doesn't take after anybody?  Really?  There is nothing about his game that looks like it was taken out of anyones book?

What funny Rick is you must have missed where Lebron said he studies Kobe's game and work ethic LOL.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »
Both are the closers for their teams and they play similar positions.  But LeBron is unique.  Kobe is an exceptional player and current heir apparent to MJ.  LeBron doesn't take after anybody.  There's never been a physically big player who can do what he does with the ball. Magic came close in some ways, because he was also tall and versatile as well as a great ball handler, but Magic wasn't a scorer like LeBron, or if he was we never saw it, because he was surrounded by so many good shooters.

No one like to be told they're not the best, particularly when it comes to the thing they do to make a living.  I'm sure in some ways it bothers Kobe, but he said it best, "that's not my goal".

It isn't going to cause Kobe to play any worse or to doubt himself.  If anything, it will only make him more determined to make his team win. 

Oscar Robertson
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Lebron doesn't take after anybody?  Really?  There is nothing about his game that looks like it was taken out of anyones book?

What funny Rick is you must have missed where Lebron said he studies Kobe's game and work ethic LOL.

You can really tell that LeBron's time with Kobe and the Olympics really paid off.  He is strying hard to have Kobe's intensity and mid-range game and LeBron has clearly learned to put effort on D from Kobe.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
I agree that Lebron's work ethic and intensity (especially on defense) have improved since working with Kobe at the Olympics, I wouldn't say their styles are similar.  James might incorporate some things that Kobe does, but overall, James isn't a shooter.  Kobe generally looks shot first, drive second.  Lebron usually think drive first, shot second.  Of course, Kobe certainly has the edge as a shooter, so there's little doubt that has something to do with it.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 03:34:40 PM »
I agree that Lebron's work ethic and intensity (especially on defense) have improved since working with Kobe at the Olympics, I wouldn't say their styles are similar.  James might incorporate some things that Kobe does, but overall, James isn't a shooter.  Kobe generally looks shot first, drive second.  Lebron usually think drive first, shot second.  Of course, Kobe certainly has the edge as a shooter, so there's little doubt that has something to do with it.

I wouldn't say their styles are similar either.  For the exact reasons you brought up.  There is an influence from other players in his game though.

And just because a guy like Chris Paul is asked to score and pass, much like Lebron is, doesn't mean someone like Jason Kidd didn't influence him. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »

I didn't say anything about his style of play.  It is his physical presence which makes him unique. All great players have a great work ethic. Larry Bird spent hours before and after games shooting, and so did a lot of other greats. All good players study and learn moves from other players past and present.

Oscar and Magic are the closest to LeBron's physique, but LeBron plays as a forward, whereas those two played guard primarily.  He's listed at 6'8" and 250, but IMO he weighs a lot more.  He drives the lane like Barkley, but he is bigger than Charles. He is a power player, with ball-handling and passing skills.

Lebron can do things that Kobe can't do.  People who would be ok with stepping in front of Kobe to take a charge would balk at doing the same thing to LeBron. Kobe can't push people away with his rear like LeBron can.  Kobe has a better stroke, but LeBron is catching up and you can see how well he shoots from the outside.

Name another power player who can do what he does.  Lots of great big men, who can score like him, but none of them are near the playmaker he is. Hedo is somewhat similar in that they can do the same things, but he's not as physically imposing as LeBron. 

No one else in the history of the NBA has LeBron's unique combination of abilities.  Like Barkley, he is a unique one of kind type of player.  Very rare for a big, big man to develop that level of coordination.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 04:33:24 PM »
Kobe has a better stroke, but LeBron is catching up and you can see how well he shoots from the outside.

LeBron will never have Kobe's stroke because LeBrons release is fundamentally flawed.  I don't know how many of you guys are players but if you watch LeBron shoot his flaw is obvious.  When you see LeBron shoot then see guys like Ray Allen, Dirk, Kobe, and DWade shoot you can see the difference.

No one else in the history of the NBA has LeBron's unique combination of abilities.  Like Barkley, he is a unique one of kind type of player.  Very rare for a big, big man to develop that level of coordination.

Agreed, he is most similar to Magic but Magic could not jump out of the building and consistently play above the rim like LeBron.  Other guys that come to mind are Billy Owens and Lamar Odom.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 05:45:58 PM »

I wouldn't say their styles are similar either.  For the exact reasons you brought up.  There is an influence from other players in his game though.

And just because a guy like Chris Paul is asked to score and pass, much like Lebron is, doesn't mean someone like Jason Kidd didn't influence him. 

Agreed, 'Koast.  I was just agreeing with Rick, that there's no one truly similar to Lebron in today's game.

Wow brought up a good historical example - Robertson.

I see James and think that must've been what it was like watching Baylor play in the early days.  A guy who was so much stronger than those guarding him, while playing above the rim, too.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »

Agreed, 'Koast.  I was just agreeing with Rick, that there's no one truly similar to Lebron in today's game.

Wow brought up a good historical example - Robertson.

I see James and think that must've been what it was like watching Baylor play in the early days.  A guy who was so much stronger than those guarding him, while playing above the rim, too.

That's a good one to bring up Elgin Baylor.  He probably is the closest thing ever to James in the NBA.  Guess all these Laker fans are too young to remember.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 09:46:55 AM »
WOW said it--Oscar Robertson is the closest player to Lebron.  Big difference between the two is Oscar never had to work on the long-range jump shot because there was no need for it. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."