Author Topic: Booooooooyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Clippers get the #1 pick in the draft!  (Read 3488 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
I know the Clippers will figure out a way to mess it up but for now I can dream...............
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Booooooooyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Clippers get the #1 pick in the draft!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »
If history says anything.....

The very best they've done is Danny Manning, who while a good player, is not quite comparable to a number of those 1st picks in NBA history. 

The 2nd best they've done is Michael Olowokandi, who had a short career due to injury and inability to transfer his game to the pro level.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 10:58:04 PM »

The very best they've done is Danny Manning, who while a good player, is not quite comparable to a number of those 1st picks in NBA history. 

The 2nd best they've done is Michael Olowokandi, who had a short career due to injury and inability to transfer his game to the pro level.

You MUST be young!

Danny was the no-brainer pick, he was one of the most talented big men to ever play the game.  It was Danny who had a career shortened by injury, I think he was the FIRST player to ever come back after a torn ACL or MCL, not sure but his return was historic.  Now a days guys can come back from those type of injuries.  I was a big Danny fan.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:06:16 PM »
Congrats, WayOut.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:16:06 PM »
Congrats, WayOut.

I MIGHT not ask for my season ticket deposit back now.

I actually winced when the Kings pick was so low, I was actually hoping for Jomal to have SOME joy in the 2009 bball season.  Clips do have a knack for not doing much with their draft picks so I was hoping he'd go to a more deserving franchise.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:17:37 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:37:26 AM »

You MUST be young!

Danny was the no-brainer pick, he was one of the most talented big men to ever play the game.  It was Danny who had a career shortened by injury, I think he was the FIRST player to ever come back after a torn ACL or MCL, not sure but his return was historic.  Now a days guys can come back from those type of injuries.  I was a big Danny fan.

While that may be true he was one of the most talented big men to ever play the game he  still is not one of the best 10 picks in the last 20 years.  Ill conceed to you Danny Manning was awesome because I barely remember seeing him play towards the end of his short career.  So far in two previous times they got unlucky by getting the #1 pick who had injury problems and they drafted another guy who ended up having injury problems.  How about this?  The basketball gods seem to curse the Clippers any way possible.  Even when they get #1 picks.

1980   Golden State Warriors   Joe Barry Carroll    USA   Purdue   18.9   9.3   1.4   [35]
1981   Dallas Mavericks   Mark Aguirre    USA   DePaul   18.7   4.9   3.2   [36]
1982   Los Angeles Lakers   James Worthy^    USA   North Carolina   13.4   5.2   1.7   [37]
1983   Houston Rockets   Ralph Sampson    USA   Virginia   21.0   11.1   2.0   [38]
1984   Houston Rockets   Akeem Olajuwon^[q]    NGA[q]   Houston   20.6   11.9   1.4   [39]
1985   New York Knicks   Patrick Ewing^    USA[r]   Georgetown   20.0   9.0   2.0   [40]
1986   Cleveland Cavaliers   Brad Daugherty    USA   North Carolina   15.7   8.1   3.8   [41]
1987   San Antonio Spurs   David Robinson^    USA   Navy   24.3   12.0   2.0   [42]
1988   Los Angeles Clippers   Danny Manning    USA   Kansas   16.7   6.6   3.1   [43]
1989   Sacramento Kings   Pervis Ellison    USA   Louisville   8.0   5.8   1.9   [44]
1990   New Jersey Nets   Derrick Coleman    USA   Syracuse   18.4   10.3   2.2   [45]
1991   Charlotte Hornets   Larry Johnson    USA   UNLV   19.2   11.0   3.6   [46]
1992   Orlando Magic   Shaquille O'Neal    USA   LSU   23.4   13.9   1.9   [47]
1993   Orlando Magic   Chris Webber    USA   Michigan   17.5   9.1   3.6   [48]
1994   Milwaukee Bucks   Glenn Robinson    USA   Purdue   21.9   6.4   2.5   [49]
1995   Golden State Warriors   Joe Smith    USA   Maryland   15.3   8.7   1.0   [50]
1996   Philadelphia 76ers   Allen Iverson    USA   Georgetown   23.5   4.1   7.5   [51]
1997   San Antonio Spurs   Tim Duncan    VIR[t]   Wake Forest   21.1   11.9   2.7   [52]
1998   Los Angeles Clippers   Michael Olowokandi    NGA   Pacific   8.9   7.9   0.6   [53]
1999   Chicago Bulls   Elton Brand    USA   Duke   20.1   10.0   1.9   [54]
2000   New Jersey Nets   Kenyon Martin    USA   Cincinnati   12.0   7.4   1.9   [55]
2001   Washington Wizards   Kwame Brown    USA   Glynn Academy HS (Brunswick, GA)   4.5   3.5   0.8   [56]
2002   Houston Rockets   Yao Ming    CHN   Shanghai Sharks (China)   13.5   8.2   1.7   [57]
2003   Cleveland Cavaliers   LeBron James    USA   St. Vincent-St. Mary HS (Akron, OH)   20.9   5.5   5.9   [58]
2004   Orlando Magic   Dwight Howard    USA   SACA (Atlanta, GA)   12.0   10.0   0.9   [59]
2005   Milwaukee Bucks   Andrew Bogut    AUS   Utah   9.4   7.0   2.3   [60]
2006   Toronto Raptors   Andrea Bargnani    ITA   Benetton Treviso (Italy)   11.6   3.9   0.8   [61]
2007   Portland Trail Blazers   Greg Oden    USA   Ohio State   8.9   7.0   0.5   [62]
2008   Chicago Bulls   Derrick Rose   
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:10:47 AM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »
Of course the curse is holding...the consensus #1 is a PF.  Clips have two bloated contracts with Kaman & Randolph at the frontcourt spots.  As well as Camby.  Their biggest need is a shooting guard.  And with Dunleavy calling the shots I wouldn't even bet on the Clips being able to shop the pick.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 10:04:48 AM »
Clips were warned about Mannings injury potential.
He had dinged that same knee in college.

Not saying good teams wouldn't have taken the risk also but you would have hoped the Clips would make a safe a pick as possible.
Then again, who?  Rick Smits?  ;)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »
Poor Blake Griffin. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 10:32:04 AM »
While that may be true he was one of the most talented big men to ever play the game he  still is not one of the best 10 picks in the last 20 years.

Like I said injuries derailed his career, but he was better than the following guys:

1980   Golden State Warriors   Joe Barry Carroll    USA   Purdue   18.9   9.3   1.4   [35]
1983   Houston Rockets   Ralph Sampson    USA   Virginia   21.0   11.1   2.0   [38]
1989   Sacramento Kings   Pervis Ellison    USA   Louisville   8.0   5.8   1.9   [44]
1990   New Jersey Nets   Derrick Coleman    USA   Syracuse   18.4   10.3   2.2   [45]
1994   Milwaukee Bucks   Glenn Robinson    USA   Purdue   21.9   6.4   2.5   [49]
1995   Golden State Warriors   Joe Smith    USA   Maryland   15.3   8.7   1.0   [50]
1998   Los Angeles Clippers   Michael Olowokandi    NGA   Pacific   8.9   7.9   0.6   [53]
2000   New Jersey Nets   Kenyon Martin    USA   Cincinnati   12.0   7.4   1.9   [55]
2001   Washington Wizards   Kwame Brown    USA   Glynn Academy HS (Brunswick, GA)   4.5   3.5   0.8   [56]

I don't know if he will be better than these guys, they are too young to make a call on:

2005   Milwaukee Bucks   Andrew Bogut    AUS   Utah   9.4   7.0   2.3   [60]
2006   Toronto Raptors   Andrea Bargnani    ITA   Benetton Treviso (Italy)   11.6   3.9   0.8   [61]
2007   Portland Trail Blazers   Greg Oden    USA   Ohio State   8.9   7.0   0.5   [62]
2008   Chicago Bulls   Derrick Rose   

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »
Of course the curse is holding...the consensus #1 is a PF.  Clips have two bloated contracts with Kaman & Randolph at the frontcourt spots.  As well as Camby.  Their biggest need is a shooting guard.  And with Dunleavy calling the shots I wouldn't even bet on the Clips being able to shop the pick.

This is what I was saying to someone who told me last night that with the addition of Griffin they would make the playoffs. 

I said "Shouldn't they deal Kaman or Zach since it's clear who they are picking?" and his answer was "No, they need all those players.  They will make the playoffs just by adding that pick"  I was like  ??? ??? ???  Dunleavy has problems figuring out how to use the two guys he has now....

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 11:37:07 AM »
This is what I was saying to someone who told me last night that with the addition of Griffin they would make the playoffs. 

I said "Shouldn't they deal Kaman or Zach since it's clear who they are picking?" and his answer was "No, they need all those players.  They will make the playoffs just by adding that pick"  I was like  ??? ??? ???  Dunleavy has problems figuring out how to use the two guys he has now....

Neither Griffin nor Randolf can play center so IMO Randolf is going to be the odd man out.  If they are smart they won't run Griffin into the ground and bring him in off the bench behind Randolf.  They have that young center so Kaman or Camby are expendable.  Tough decision but IMO you lose Camby, if they keep Camby then they should get rid of Randolf and let Camby backup both the PF and C position.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »

Neither Griffin nor Randolf can play center so IMO Randolf is going to be the odd man out.  If they are smart they won't run Griffin into the ground and bring him in off the bench behind Randolf.  They have that young center so Kaman or Camby are expendable.  Tough decision but IMO you lose Camby, if they keep Camby then they should get rid of Randolf and let Camby backup both the PF and C position.

My logic behind asking that question was....

You deal Kaman because you have Camby.  I'll keep a shot blocker and defender before a guy with a few post moves when I have a guy like Baron Davis who can pick up some of the offense if they were to lose Kaman.  The other thing I was thinking is out of Zach and Kaman the easier trade to make would involve Kaman I think.  Zach has bounced around quite a bit and is not as big as Kaman.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »

Agreed that Kaman is more expendable and better trade bait BUT I would NOT rely on Camby to be my starting center with his health history.  Unless they are ready for Jordan to play big minutes at center then I think you deal Camby or Randolf.  Jordan might be ready for big minutes in a league with very few good centers.

You deal Kaman because you have Camby.  I'll keep a shot blocker and defender before a guy with a few post moves when I have a guy like Baron Davis who can pick up some of the offense if they were to lose Kaman.  The other thing I was thinking is out of Zach and Kaman the easier trade to make would involve Kaman I think.  Zach has bounced around quite a bit and is not as big as Kaman.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »

Agreed that Kaman is more expendable and better trade bait BUT I would NOT rely on Camby to be my starting center with his health history.  Unless they are ready for Jordan to play big minutes at center then I think you deal Camby or Randolf.  Jordan might be ready for big minutes in a league with very few good centers.

Learn how to use the quote feature man!
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton