Author Topic: Who Will Coach The Sixers Next Year  (Read 18755 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Who Will Coach The Sixers Next Year
« on: May 10, 2009, 08:19:06 AM »
An interesting article by Kate Fagan handi-capping the likely coaching candidates, including DiLeo, for next year.  Ignoring DiLeo, which I think Stefanski will do as well, the most interesting names on the list to me are Avery Johnson and Tom Thibodeau.  I definitely do not want Doug Collins (just another ego trip for this guy), Jeff Van Gundy (wrong style) or Jay Wright (dumber than I think if he leaves his current gig).  Eddie Jordan does not have a great overall record, but could be one of those guys who is now experienced enough to blossom into a good coach, I am ambivalent on him.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20090510_Inside_the_Sixers___Handicapping_the_race_for_new_coach.html

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Who Will Coach The Sixers Next Year
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:45:05 AM »
so you are saying Thibadou or bust?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:12:47 PM »
Of the ones she listed, which is by no means an exhaustive list of coaching candidates, my preferences would be:

1.  Tom Thibodeau
2.  Avery Johnson
3.  Eddie Jordan

I dislike Collins immensely, I just think he likes seeing his name thrown out there to massage his massive ego.  Van Gundy has not shown the ability to coach a team that plays the way Stefanski seems to want them to play.  Jay Wright I love as a college coach, but very few have made that transition successfully lately, plus it would weaken my favorite college team.

DiLeo staying on would have interested me more before he got thrown under the bus by some of the veterans, that seemed to confirm my one worry about him and that is his toughness and discipline with the players.  I would hate to lose him on draft day though.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »
So that radio interview did not kill it for you regarding Avery?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »
I didn't catch it, did he say something to turn Sixers fans or people in general off.  Truthfully, his squeaky little voice is so annoying, I try never to listen when he speaks.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:21:44 PM »
I didn't catch it, did he say something to turn Sixers fans or people in general off.  Truthfully, his squeaky little voice is so annoying, I try never to listen when he speaks.

He basically said Iggy can never play the 2 and said very little about Young.  I have no doubt Young would be a 6th man going forward if AJ was the coach.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:22:39 AM »
Of everybody listed in that article, Doug Collins is far and away my #1 choice...and it isn't even close.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:59:23 AM »

An interesting interview (10+ minutes.)
This is what he said 5/5 on 950AM:
http://www.950espn.com/Audio/tabid/183/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/3625/Avery-Johnson-talks-Sixers-Basketball.aspx

Avery basically said:

-Some good parts.  Iguodala and Lou specifically highlighted.  Thd and Speights barely mentioned. 

-Iguodala can not play SG. Must play SF and maybe some PF.

-Louis Willliams can be good player, and should be the starting PG. Can potentially be the PG for a winner. Aver took credit for developing Devon Harris.

-WG should be a back-up, not a starter.

-Sam must be consistent, and he does not know if that is possible.

-Some teams lack great leaders, and those teams need leadership from the coach. Hopefully some player becomes more of a leader.

-Right now the team lacks a leader. Not Miller (too old and quiet and has never won anything.) Maybe Iguodala some day.

-Did not talk about Thad or Speights at all when talking about the good parts.

-His rules: trust the coach/system and know when to party. Big on discipline.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 10:04:25 AM »
Sounds to me like the little general spent too much time around Don Nelson if he even thinks of playing Iggy at PF.  OK, scratch him off my list.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 10:40:07 AM »
You have to figure he just does not know squat about the Sixers (never being on TV.)

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it is hard after that interview.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »
I don't want Avery Johnson at all, a terrible coach, IMO.  Also to say Iguodala can't play the 2 is absurd. He has the physical skills and the handle and has added some range to his shot. Young is too talented to not be on the floor and he's too thin to play the 4 which makes him a 3. I can't imagine any line-up without those two starting. It's also clear they didn't sign Brand to come off the bench either, so that's 3 of your starters. Any coach that doesn't acknowledge that has no place here.

I think I'd rather have Thibodeau or Collins.

The Sixers need a lot of coaching as a group, simply because of their inexperience.  It's clear that Iguodala really studies the game and works at it, but it's also clear a lot of them don't have the same commitment. Lou Williams in particular seems to need a strong coach to keep him working on all aspects of his game and not simply driving to the hole.

I think the Sixers have a lot of potential on the offensive end of the floor that they need to work on. Integrating Brand's offense to the Sixers up and down game should make them a much more effective unit with consistent scoring.  It will be important to match their defense to their style of offense to avoid giving up easy baskets on missed shots.

Coaching will be big, but so will free agency and the draft this summer.  Are Smith and Dalemmbert enough at Center?  I don't think so. Ratliff isn't an answer, but maybe a more reliable back-up.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 02:40:48 PM »
Per Jasner, news conference about DiLeo's status at 4:30 PM EST:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/The_Meeting_Is_On.html

BTW, read the comments.  Show's the average Philly fan posting about the Sixers.  They don't care about the team, and/or are clueless at the same time.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 02:49:06 PM »
DiLeo is out.

THANK GOD

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »
Best of both worlds, DiLeo withdraws his name as coach, but stays in the position where he has been so successful in the past.  I was worried about losing him from the FO.  Now let the coaching search begin for real.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 08:12:54 PM »
Yep, good news DiLeo will return to what he does best.

As for a coach, I'm starting to get intrigued by the coaches that are willing to run offenses without a pure PG like E. Jordan and Collins.  Gives guys like Iguodala and Lou the best chance to thrive. 

Also, I'd like to see a cach who doesn't live and die with Small ball.  Not only will it work better to get Brand in a conventional line-up, but I'm sick of Thad at PF.  Te guy has a great future at SF but only Hakim Warrick upside at PF.