Author Topic: New Orleans.  (Read 3109 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Orleans.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 07:13:04 PM »
How much blame do you guys think  a coach should take for a 58 point loss at home (playoff or otherwise)???  Clearly the shlacking was due to a lack of focus and motivation to play hard.  Two things it is up to the coaching staff to handle.

The coach should take virtually no blame for a 58 point loss.  That is all on the players.  If they are that willing to give up, there is virtually nothing a coach can do to change that.

Good point but if the players give up on a coach...essentially doesn't that mean he needs to go?  He no longer can reach them if that is the case.

If the players have tuned him out then yeah it is probably time to move on, but I don't necessarily believe that a 58 point loss  proves that.  I am also making a distinction between this one game and his overall performance, and I wouldn't fire a coach just because his team played poorly in one game, but I would if his overall performance was poor.

My only point is that we keep in perspective one game, and also keep in perspective exactly what a coach can actually do.  A coach cannot impact a game enough to avoid this kind of loss.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil