Author Topic: Spike Lee filming ESPN movie on Kobe  (Read 2756 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Spike Lee filming ESPN movie on Kobe
« on: April 29, 2009, 12:23:30 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/clip?id=3394550&categoryid=3060647

While this clip shows the lovey dovey Lee approach to the subject, the reality was a bit less friendly. Kobe demanded creative control over the final version and this was only resolved in a face to face meeting between the two.

Kobe demanding creative control over a Spike Lee movie? And Lee is going to give Kobe pointers on how to post up LeBron?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spike Lee filming ESPN movie on Kobe
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »
To be fair....

It's not just a regular movie.  Its a documentary about Kobe.  You can't compare that to Do The Right thing where there was a script about a fictional scenario/characters.

If the documentary is about Kobe and Kobe had to work on it, shouldn't he have some creative control?  Obviously he didn't demand ALL creative control if it was mashed out in a meeting.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »
Who knows, but the point is, if Kobe had some issues that he wanted to focus on or NOT focus on, they probably should have been discussed before filming rather then after and Spike was working on editing the piece. His timing sucked.

But from what I hear, neither should claim credit. Previews by critics are panning the film.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »
Who knows, but the point is, if Kobe had some issues that he wanted to focus on or NOT focus on, they probably should have been discussed before filming rather then after and Spike was working on editing the piece. His timing sucked.

But from what I hear, neither should claim credit. Previews by critics are panning the film.

They've been working on it for a while so who knows.  I remember towards the start of the season they had like 20 cameras in Staples Center all focused on Kobe to get shots for the movie.  So it's been a long time coming.  At least 6 months if not longer.  I would say the editing part is an important part....except this isnt a reality show.  Its a movie to make Kobe look good so I am a bit confused on why he'd get upset too....stick to basketball right?

I wouldn't be surprised its being panned.  How much more can they show us of Kobe?  They've done a million shows and articles on his life.  Most NBA fans know his career very well and see him many times a year.  Didn't think it was a good idea.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:16:34 PM »
I'm not surprised it would get panned simply because the most overrated film maker of all time is behind it.  Seriously, has this guy ever made a good movie?  With the possible exception of Do The Right Thing, I've always found his movies to fall somewhere squarely between horrible and unwatchable. 

That's all I got, continue away with the Kobe bashing ...

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:03:40 AM »
Say what msc?   Spike Lee has done some terrible movies (She Hate Me, Get on the Bus, Crooklyn), but there's nothing wrong with X, Inside Man or the documentary 4 Little Girls. 

My problem is just that I don't find Kobe a compelling enough figure to warrant a documentary.  Maybe I'm completely wrong about this but really, what about a day with Kobe is so compelling that you couldn't get it from a ten minute fluff piece with Ahmad Rashad?
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
Here, here jn:  I count Malcolm X as one of the most interesting, thought-provoking movies I've ever seen.  Inside Man actually surprised me how original it was.  You've seen 1 heist movie, you've seen them all.  Actually haven't seen very many others. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:29:58 AM »
You guys also forgot other classic video he made...

Like the video of him taunting Reggie Miller and Miller going lights out on the Knicks lol

One of my favorite visuals of all time is Reggie Miller doing the choking motion with his hands towards Spike Lee at MSG.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
Here, here jn:  I count Malcolm X as one of the most interesting, thought-provoking movies I've ever seen.  Inside Man actually surprised me how original it was.  You've seen 1 heist movie, you've seen them all.  Actually haven't seen very many others. 

Other than Malcom X, my favorite Spike Lee movie is School Daze, IMO it was way better than the overrated Do The Right Thing movie.  When the best part of a movie is the Public Enemy song and Rosie Perez being naked, you have problems.  I don't think much of Spike in terms of directing, IMO his best work was the Mars Blackman MJ commercials.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »

Other than Malcom X, my favorite Spike Lee movie is School Daze, IMO it was way better than the overrated Do The Right Thing movie.  When the best part of a movie is the Public Enemy song and Rosie Perez being naked, you have problems.  I don't think much of Spike in terms of directing, IMO his best work was the Mars Blackman MJ commercials.

I am with you on this one WOW, et al.

Lee is hardly a great movie maker. Making a documentary about Kobe????? JN, if anything you are holding back. There is just nothing "there" to want to see. For a watchable film about a basketball player, I would prefer seeing one on Julius Irving. Now, that guy could fly. 

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »
Say what msc?   Spike Lee has done some terrible movies (She Hate Me, Get on the Bus, Crooklyn), but there's nothing wrong with X, Inside Man or the documentary 4 Little Girls. 

I figured people would throw Malcom X back at me.  Personally, I didn't enjoy that one, but it obviously made an impact on our society so kudos to him for that one.  Your list of his terrible movies is way too short though, jn.  Have you ever seen Girl 6, Jungle Fever, Crooklyn, or Clockers?  Unwatchable, IMO.  I guess the Kings of Comedy was great, but I attribute that more to the comedians in the film, not Lee's directing or creative vision. 

This guy has the rep of being a brilliant film maker, but when I watch a film like Shawshank Redemption or No Country for Old Men and then I watch a Spike Lee film, the Spike Lee joint looks like the work of an average NYU film student in comparison.  Just my opinion, but I never "got" the buzz with him.   

I agree with WOW, those Mars Blackman commercials were the pinnacle of his career. 

As far as a documentary about a day in the life of Kobe, I'm luke warm on it.  I thoroughly enjoy watching the amazing talent Kobe displays on an almost nightly basis on the basketball court, but I don't really need to re-hash one day and a game last season.  The only aspect of the documentary that would be appealing to me is the behind the scenes footage in the locker room and what not.  I always get a kick out of that type of footage.  For example, I love the Hard Knocks documentary on HBO.  I'm not a Chiefs fan, and I loath the Cowboys, but I really enjoy that documentary and think they do a fantastic job of showing the behind the scenes reality of a NFL training camp.  The show humanizes the players and it draws you in to their lives.  You find yourself pulling for the kids trying to make the cut.  If Lee can somehow incorporate that type of real life drama in to the documentary it would be interesting to me.  If it's just a Kobe wank-fest ... not so much.  Personally, I'd rather use those two hours of my life watching the next Laker playoff game.