Author Topic: Game 4 Sixers v. Magic  (Read 10957 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Game 4 Sixers v. Magic
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:47:50 AM »
A 2-1 series lead means nothing.  The very nature of playing three is that one team has to win and the other not. Teams often come back from a 2-1 and the probabilities are insignificant.  A 3-1 lead, however, is statistically significant and both Orlando and The Sixers are aware of that.

So far the determining factor in the Sixers winning is what our non-primary scorers do.  Thad, Andre and Andre are able to score pretty much at will and effectively cancel out Orlando's starting 5, or close to it. The additional points need to come from Willie Green and the bench. In the game they lost, the bench gave us nothing- under 10 pts.  In the games we won, the bench contributed enough points so we were in it at the end.

Williams and Marshall are the two that can put up the most points, unless and until they are willing to play Speights.  Ratliff and Ivey may contribute a few, but they're not offensive players, and neither is Evans. Since they are up 2-1, I doubt that Dileo is willing to even try playing Speights for extended minutes.

I expect this game to be very highly contested. Orlando has to win this game to keep their hopes alive.  Phila. needs to win this game to keep home-court advantage and maintain control in the series.  It will be interesting to see what if any changes SVG can make to get his team going. The Sixer's strategy is frustrating Orlando. Dwight is getting his and then some, but none of the other starters are producing at a level to offset what the Sixers are doing.  Staying at home on outside shooters is the right way to defend this team, they don't have great one on one moves and are pretty ordinary if they aren't open. Howard can score 36 and the Magic still won't win.  The thing is, I don't think Orlando has the talent or ability to play any other way. They won 59 games this season with this style, but it doesn't work against Philadelphia. 

I think the year of experience will benefit the Sixers.  They were in this same situation with Detroit last year and got blown out of their own building.  This time, they clearly know what is at stake, and they are not satisfied with just being in the playoffs. They know the winner of this series plays either a hobbled Boston or a humbled Chicago. They know this means a possible trip to the EC finals is open to them now.  So far the team has acted the right way this season, pleased to win games, but not satisfied at all.  They know they are good enough to beat Orlando in this series and that all the prognosticators who didn't pick them were wrong.  Time to step up Sixers.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Game 4 Sixers v. Magic
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »
If we lose, I'm blaming it on you for stealing my GDT starting duties.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »
Thad should bounce back with a nice game, even though his last game is automatically bumped up to a great performance because of that spin move game winner.  Hopefully Lou snaps out of it and decides to be a factor in this one.  We need to come out as if we are facing an elimination game in this one if we want to take a commanding lead in the series.  Orlando isn't going to give it to us... that's for sure. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 10:38:21 AM »
If the Sixers are going to win this series, this is the game they need to win.  Good teams crank it up when they sense an opportunity to put another team away.  This is that opportunity.  If they lose it will show that they really are just a 0.500 like their record suggests.  This is really where they have to step it up.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »

Williams and Marshall are the two that can put up the most points, unless and until they are willing to play Speights

Obviously, and hopefully, that doesn't happen.

Today should be quite interesting...and it should show us alot about our team.  Do they have what it takes (balls) to come out and step on the necks of their opponent?  Will the guys we need to step up...step up?

My keys to the series were to get Howard in foul trouble at least twice (we failed to take advantage of that in Game 2), and to deny him receipt...so as to reduce his effectiveness...to take pressure off our perimeter defenders.  Well, instead, Tony and Sam seems content to LET him have the ball...and allow him to score...so as to take pressure off our perimeter defenders.  I'd prefer they do it my way instead.

Ok...today?  An all-out transition assault - even after MADE baskets.  The thinking is that we need to score more points today.  I'd like something awfully close to 100.  This energy needs to happen at the other end of the floor, too.  I'd like to see about 15-16 forced TO's.  This aggressiveness will result in more fouls by us...but I'm ok with that; it'll also result in more assists and points.

MAKE FOUL SHOTS!  If we don't, we don't deserve to win.  Iggy is at 61% - that's laughable.  But I ain't laughing.

Lou Will:  We need 13-15 or so from you today, kid. 

Tony - gotta go to Sam in the 4th.  Everyone in the building knows that...you should, too.

Overall - the thing all of this has in common is 'aggressiveness'.  We need to want this more.  Really, truly WANT it more.

Do that...it's 3-1.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »
So far the refs have allowed the Magic to foul the Sixers on nearly every play. But have no problem calling fouls on them.  Very biased so far.  They are protecting Howard, but they are letting him get away with too much.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »
The Sixers haven't figured out how to control where Howard goes in the paint. He is camping in the lane to prevent the slashers from getting to the basket. He does come out to meet someone coming down the lane, once they get past the two Orlando defenders. At this point, the driver needs to make a pass to a player behind Howard as he comes out to defend. Until the Sixers do this, they will have a tough time getting inside shots, which is what they want.

So far they're tied at the half, in a very low-scoring game 36-36. I'd like the Sixers to try using Speights instead of Evans, since they're just going to foul Dwight in the post anyway. With Evans in there, they just drive the lane and score, at least Marreese could block a couple of shots instead. I'd also like to see the Sixers bomb away from outside, since they've all shown the ability to hit them. They need to find a way to get the game opened up a little bit so they can score. And keep Orlando shut down.

This game is theirs if they can figure out how to get Dwight to move so they can attack the basket, it will take team-work rather than individual skill, but they can do it, I've seen them do it before.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:55:08 PM by rickortreat »

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 07:02:03 PM »
I'd like the Sixers to try using Speights instead of Evans, since they're just going to foul Dwight in the post anyway. .

I cannot imagine the carnage that would be Speights vs. Howard.

Howard throws THEO around like a rag doll.  Speights?  He's the fifth guy who should ever be in that position.  I'd rather Donyell.

And in a playoff game no less?

No.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Magic could hit our guys with baseball bats and it still wouldn't be a foul.  This is ridiculous.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 07:30:12 PM »
You think they'll ever call Shard for holding the guard on the pick?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
Ya know, the refs are letting both teams get away with A TON on picks.  Sixers need to take advantage of that.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 08:15:26 PM »
Never start a GDT ever again rick.  It's bad mojo.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »
Refs were fine.

Thad's defense at the end was a disgrace.  An old, slow, injured 3-baller...and Thad plays him to slash.  Idiot.

Not enough running, not enough points.

Home court advantage back to the Magic.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
Hey, don't blame this on me! The Sixers were good enough to take this game and they didn't. Their offense was terrible for most of the third and fourth quarter and their defense was the worst it had been in the series.

Orlando gave them every opportunity, but the Sixers missed too many shots. As soon as I saw the Sixers had the ball with 25 sec left, that they would play for the last shot to tie the game or take a three. They didn't. Sam's Dunk came with 14 sec. left and that was more than enough time for Orlando. It didn't have to be a three, the game was tied, they could have set up for any shot and chose Hedo for a last second three.

That was a good win for Orlando, and they deserved it.  Sixers started well, but Orlando's defense overwhelmed them for most of the game. It was only the Sixers forcing turnovers that kept them in it.  When Orlando started taking care of the ball and making shots, the Sixers were in trouble.

Orlando figured out how to stop the Sixers attack for the most part. We started our run too late, or failed to get stops early enough to get a lead. Not a well-coached game. The offense needs some work before the next game or the Sixers will be in trouble.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »
Refs were fine.

Thad's defense at the end was a disgrace.  An old, slow, injured 3-baller...and Thad plays him to slash.  Idiot.

Not enough running, not enough points.

Home court advantage back to the Magic.

It's not like Hedo had 7 baskets prior to his final 3, almost all on slashes to the rim or anything.