Author Topic: Why Dileo doesn't play Speights more.  (Read 2649 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Why Dileo doesn't play Speights more.
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:57:58 AM »
This is an excerpt from an article from Sunday April 12th on philly.com.

Q: What would you say to the people who believe Speights should play more?

A: It's a fine line. It's a very fine line. Some games, the matchups are just not good. Like the Phoenix game, we put him in and he had to guard a small forward and it wasn't a good matchup. A lot of times it has to do with matchups. And a lot of times we don't want to sacrifice winning a game to get him playing time.

But saying that, he's also played in games and helped us win down the stretch when the matchups were good, when everything was good. It's a fine line. We want to get him as much time as we can, but not sacrificing a game. Whenever we can, we get him time. And he's really produced.
[\quote]

To me that seems a little too cute.  I can understand that he might not be the ideal size player to match up with a small forward, but at the same time, doesn't that create a match-up problem for the other team as well?

If we had Brand or Smith as well, it wouldn't matter, but I always thought an ideal team would have two big men on the floor, both capable of scoring and rebounding.  Dalembert is a decent rebounder and shot blocker, but is very limited offensively.  Because the team is so thin at forward/Center, playing Speights with another big man has been a luxury Dileo has avoided.  He pairs him with Evans (a disaster waiting to happen) or Ratliff (it should work, with the right combo of guards and small forwards).

I hate small ball and unfortunately we're somewhat forced to be a small ball team.

But looking forward to our match-up with Orlando- Hedo and Lewis are both taller than Young and Iguodala.  Although I think ours are a little better than theirs, the one thing that concerns me is their height advantage.  There's no reason why we can't put Speights in as a forward and force Lewis or Hedo to defend a big man on the block, or use him to defend against them, if they decide to use their height inside.

There's no denying that Howard is a better rebounder than Dalembert, but I don't think Dwight can outrebound Speights and Dalembert as easily as he would Dalembert and Young.

One thing about the playoffs is that the bench tightens and you play your best players more. I think we can see an increase in Speights and Williams minutes at the expense of Evans and Green.  If a front line of Sam, Thad and Iguodala doesn't work, then they should try Sam, Marreese, and Thad and put Andre in the back-court with Williams.

Maybe I just have a different vision of what an ideal Sixers lineup might be.  But I think this is the line-up that would give them the best chance to be successful.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
Re: Why Dileo doesn't play Speights more.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:37:26 AM »
I always thought an ideal team would have two big men on the floor, both capable of scoring and rebounding. 

Hmm.  I didn't know you liked Speights. :)

Just kidding...  How did the teams with Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace make out? 

I really do believe that if you gave defense and rebounding the respect they deserve you'd quickly understand why Marreese plays the number of (appropriate) minutes he plays.

But now I, too, sound like a broken record.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:41:31 AM by RickyPryor »

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:03:10 PM »
I always thought an ideal team would have two big men on the floor, both capable of scoring and rebounding. 

Hmm.  I didn't know you liked Speights. :)

Just kidding...  How did the teams with Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace make out? 

I really do believe that if you gave defense and rebounding the respect they deserve you'd quickly understand why Marreese plays the number of (appropriate) minutes he plays.

But now I, too, sound like a broken record.

How did the teams with Marcus Camby make out?

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:18:28 PM »

Not great. But he's a center...and so I'm not sure if you are starting a new debate, or just being curious.

If you are participating in the discussion at present, I will attempt to reign you in before too late:  first, you'll have to tell me who he played with (ie. the other big).  Because Rick argued that teams need TWO bigs that can score and rebound.  And so that's the topic.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »

Not great. But he's a center...and so I'm not sure if you are starting a new debate, or just being curious.

If you are participating in the discussion at present, I will attempt to reign you in before too late:  first, you'll have to tell me who he played with (ie. the other big).  Because Rick argued that teams need TWO bigs that can score and rebound.  And so that's the topic.

Are you telling me that Ben Wallace didn't play center?  Really?  I give up.  I refuse to respond to you ever again.  It's just a total waste of time.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 06:49:42 AM »

Are you telling me that Ben Wallace didn't play center?  Really?  I give up.  I refuse to respond to you ever again.  It's just a total waste of time.

He did, of course.  But - stay with me - he didn't SCORE.  Neither did Rodman.  And THAT was Rick's point.  Those teams were fairly successful and did NOT have "two bigs who could score".

(Perhaps it best if you sit this one out.  I don't think you are entirely following; and you for sure are not contributing.)