Author Topic: Sixers vs. Cavs: This is really, really, really ugly  (Read 3418 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers vs. Cavs: This is really, really, really ugly
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:31 PM »
Really.

Did Dalembert get injured?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers vs. Cavs: This is really, really, really ugly
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »
Just checking in to say that even though we have the deficit to 1 with a few minutes left in the 3rd, DiLeo's decision to sub Young for Evans here is probably the move that cost us the game. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:55:19 PM »
The fact that Thad has to carry this team speaks to the level of talent on it.  Iggy disappears way too often for a player of his caliber.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »
foul to give... foul to f'ing give.  I think I'm starting to hate this team. 

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:00:24 PM »
wow... we win... this team is not good. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »

I think that's the wrong way to put it.  This team is the very definition of "plays to the level of their opponent".

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »

I think that's the wrong way to put it.  This team is the very definition of "plays to the level of their opponent".

Ok...  Good teams generally play at a higher level than their opponent. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 10:26:23 PM »

Ok...  Good teams generally play at a higher level than their opponent. 

...touche

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »
That often is the case though, they play to the level of their opponent.  I had hoped they had developed an identity or sense of who they are.  When they went on their first win streak before the all-star break, I thought they were getting it.  After that streak, they seemed to forget how to win, and then Thad emerged as a third, or second, or first scorer on the team. And they had another win streak, but were not winning by defense any longer, but simply by outscoring other teams.

We're still at that stage now, focused on offense.  Before the team was forcing more turnovers and were very tough defensively. Since the West Coast trip this team doesn't defend consistently.

Without stops it's tough to close teams out, when you can't count on your offense it's impossible. So they need both, and they really only show signs of having a strong offense.

Last night's win, was against the other team's 2nd unit and they still needed overtime to do it. That's pretty sad, and it also shows that the Sixers did not intentionally lose to Boston yesterday, without 2 of their big three. They aren't playing well, and they know it.

I'm afraid that without a strong identity, the Sixers are going to get rolled by Orlando without much struggle. When they force turnovers, no-one can stay with them, but good teams protect the ball, and move it effectively under pressure. A three-point shooting team doesn't give normal rebounds either. The caroms bounce the ball back out nearer to the foul line, making it harder for your Centers and forwards to get the ball. 2nd chance shots are a killer when you have sharp shooters at the 3.

The one thing the Sixers have going for them is that Orlando is a little banged up. No Hedo helps alot.

I don't think I can recall the Sixers stopping Orlando from scoring even once during their season. Sometimes the Magic would miss, but that had nothing to do with the Sixers. Unless we see them do something effectively against the Magic, it's doubtful the Sixers can win the series. They can score, but I doubt they can outscore the Magic who will shoot a three for every two you put in.

We're going to see a new team in the playoffs, cause the version we have won't survive.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 10:05:59 PM »
They play a lot like, well, a 0.500 team.  Simple as that.