Author Topic: Sixers vs. Celtics: The Return of Thad  (Read 5418 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers vs. Celtics: The Return of Thad
« on: April 14, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »
Only getting 15-20 minutes tonight in 4-5 minute stints, but better for him to get back now and try to rebuild stamina than to try to do it in the playoffs.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Sixers vs. Celtics: The Return of Thad
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »
Only getting 15-20 minutes tonight in 4-5 minute stints, but better for him to get back now and try to rebuild stamina than to try to do it in the playoffs.

Agree as long as he is not pushing it and risking more serious injury.  The regular season is toast.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
There's no reason to risk anything we're better off loosing the game anyway.  But it will help Thad with his conditioning and getting back into the flow of playing before the playoffs start.  It will also help the Sixers get back to a normal rotation, and put Reggie back on the bench.

I'm very annoyed that the coaches did not start Marreese once during the time Thad was out.  He demonstrated the ability to both score, defend and rebound at a much more productive rate than either Evans or Dalembert and on that basis deserved the chance.  I would think they would at least be curious to see how he could do playing 30-35 min. At 25 min, he's getting close to managing a double-double anyway.

If we are going to surprise anyone in the post-season it will be because Speights is so good at getting o-boards and putting them in. You know that 2nd chance attempts are huge and a real momentum changer. The offense is pretty good with Iguodala and Young threatening to score. Adding a post player, and an outside shooter would force defenses to play honest.  This is what the Sixers need to be now, and they aren't much closer than they were three months ago.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »
Ray Allen is suspended for tonight's game, making it two of the big three out for the Celtics, making it hard for the Sixers to lose.

I'm not sure we can trust Miami to keep winning, the more I think about it, the more I want Boston in the playoffs. The chance of no Garnett is more appealing than facing Orlando, even with their injuries.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:52:46 PM »
desperate for a win?  didn't look like it on that last play.... 7 game losing streak to end the season is all but complete. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:08:48 PM »
At least they were a more balanced team with Thad back... albeit a stupid team.  Way to many plays ending in jumpers down the stretch.  they were open shots, but the Sxers can't hit them.

Thad looked like a good 30+ year old player.  Still had the moves, but obviously less lift and quickness.  Hope he is close to 100% next week.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
I'm happy the Sixers lost.  I really want to avoid Orlando in the first round.  We only scored 15 points in the 4th, I hope that was on purpose.

Reggie Evans has to be the worst player in the NBA. He's the first one we need to get rid of.

Speights only played 15 min. tonight.  IMO, that's why we lost. 

Thad and Iguodala had great games.  Very promising for Thad to score 18 pts. in 28 min. shooting 50%. Only reason Iggy scored more was that he got to the foul line a lot.

If we were trying to win, this Iggy isolation play is not good enough.  Dileo needs a better one.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
To be fair to DiLeo, had Andre Miller taken his eyes off of Iguodala, he would have found that one or two other guys had slipped free for open twos.  Sure, you'd rather play for the win, but take what the defense is giving you.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 12:16:13 PM »
Marreese ....demonstrated the ability to .....defend and rebound at a much more productive rate than either Evans or Dalembert

An outrageous claim.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
Speights hasn't proven anything as far as rebounding and defense go, although last night he looked particularly energized on the defensive end, challenging shots in the paint and getting on the glass more than usual... was a +10 for the night.  He should have gotten the nod over Evans, but Dalembert was having a block party last night and changed a lot of shots. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
Marreese ....demonstrated the ability to .....defend and rebound at a much more productive rate than either Evans or Dalembert

An outrageous claim.

I said score defend and rebound.  Taking a quote and parsing out pieces is pathetic.

On a cumulative basis, Speights already has a higher scoring average in less time than Dalembert. He scores twice as much as Reggie in the same amount of time. He's clearly a better shot-blocker than Reggie, and makes fewer mistakes.

Evans shouldn't be in the NBA.  If it weren't for the injuries he wouldn't be playing. He's the first player to be moved this off-season.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 01:20:57 PM »

I said score defend and rebound.  Taking a quote and parsing out pieces is pathetic.

On a cumulative basis, Speights already has a higher scoring average in less time than Dalembert. He scores twice as much as Reggie in the same amount of time. He's clearly a better shot-blocker than Reggie, and makes fewer mistakes.

Evans shouldn't be in the NBA.  If it weren't for the injuries he wouldn't be playing. He's the first player to be moved this off-season.

I didn't parse pieces.  Offense is obvious; a no brainer.  I gave that to you.

I'm arguing the (incorrect) claim that he's a better defender and rebounder than both Evans and Sam.  You're wrong.

You of course then go right back to talking about offense, and shot-blocking (one of the most overrated skills of all time).

Fewer mistakes? 

Every time Speights is in the game...and a basket is scored in the paint...you go look to see where Marreese is.  Guaranteed - he'll be 4 feet behind the action.  Every time you see him in the game with another Big...and the other guy is battling for a rebound, you look for Speights.  He'll likely not be in the screen.

I call those mistakes.  And he makes them on almost every defensive possession.

Wanna know why he gets the minutes he does?  Now you do.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 01:28:35 PM »
I'm arguing the (incorrect) claim that he's a better defender and rebounder than both Evans and Sam.  You're wrong.

You of course then go right back to talking about offense, and shot-blocking (one of the most overrated skills of all time).

Fewer mistakes? 

Every time Speights is in the game...and a basket is scored in the paint...you go look to see where Marreese is.  Guaranteed - he'll be 4 feet behind the action.  Every time you see him in the game with another Big...and the other guy is battling for a rebound, you look for Speights.  He'll likely not be in the screen.

I call those mistakes.  And he makes them on almost every defensive possession.

Wanna know why he gets the minutes he does?  Now you do.

You guys are both being too extreme.  Evans is a very good rebounder who deserves a spot as a 4th big man getting 10 mpg a game somewhere.  They're both pretty awful at defense, with Speights simply not strong enough and Evans diving out of position way too often.  The question is do we need scoring or rebounding, and when the backup unit is in, the answer is almost always scoring.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »
The question is do we need scoring or rebounding, and when the backup unit is in, the answer is almost always scoring.

No such thing as scoring without the ball.  I'll take rebounding; every time. 

Especially when the second unit includes Theo instead of Sam, and Lou instead of Miller.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 02:05:46 PM »
Why do I even bother trying to make any kind of reasonable point to Ricky?  Now I remember why I left Philaphans' Sixers board when he was there.

Oh, and here's a good breakdown of the Sixers' second to last play:

http://halfcourtheave.com/2009/04/15/snap-judgments-andre-iguodalas-last-second-drive-against-the-celtics/