Greg Oden
0 (0%)
Rudy Fernandez
0 (0%)
Eric Gordon
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: April 26, 2009, 12:07:09 PM

Author Topic: Rookie of the year  (Read 2174 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rookie of the year
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:07:09 PM »
Best Rookie Class since 2003.  Who in your opinion is Rookie of the Year?

Stats run down  (Points, Rebounds, Assists, Steal, Blocks, Turnovers per game, FG%, True Shooting %, Player Efficiency Rating, and Win Shares Per 48 Minutes, WS*PER) + any top 10 in NBA categories

OJ Mayo  18.4 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 3.2 APG, 1.1 SPG, 2.7 TO/G, .437 FG%, .537 TS%, 14.3 PER, .053 WS/48 Min, 0.758 WS*PER  TOP 10   Total Minutes Played   Teams Improvement in Wins  +1

Derrick Rose  16.9 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 6.9 APG, 0.8 SPG, 2.4 TO/G, .474 FG%, .515 TS%, 15.7 PER, .076 WS/48 Min, 1.193 WS*PER  TOP 10   NONE    Teams Improvement in Wins  +7

Kevin Love  11.1 PPG, 9.0 RPG, 1.1 APG, 0.6 BPG, 1.4 TO/G, .460% FG%, .540 TS%, 18.5 PER, .130 WS/48 Min, 2.405 WS*PER   TOP 10   Offensive Rebounds, Total Rebounds, Rebounds per game, Offensive Rebound %  (LEAGUE LEADER), Defensive Rebound %, Total Rebound % (#2 in League)  Teams Improvement in Wins  +2

Brook Lopez  13.1 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 1.0 APG, 1.8 BPG, 1.8 TO/G, .535% FG%, .573 TS%, 17.9 PER, .112 WS/48 Min, 2.005 WS*PER  TOP 10   FG%, Blocks, Blocks/Game, Off Rebound %, Block %  Teams Improvement in Wins  -1

Greg Oden    8.7 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 0.5 APG, 1.1 BPG, 1.5 TO/G, .563% FG%, .598 TS%, 17.9 PER, .151 WS/48 Min, 2.703 WS*PER  TOP 10   NONE  Teams Improvement in Wins  +11

Rudy Fernandez    10.3 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 2.0 APG, 0.9 SPG, 1.1 TO/G, .420% FG%, .579 TS%, 15.1 PER, .131 WS/48 Min, 1.978 WS*PER  TOP 10   NONE  Teams Improvement in Wins  +11

Eric Gordon    16.0 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 2.8 APG, 1.0 SPG, 2.1 TO/G, .452% FG%, .591 TS%, 15.0 PER, .085 WS/48 Min, 1.275 WS*PER  TOP 10   NONE  Teams Improvement in Wins  -4

PPG
OJ Mayo  18.4 PPG
Derrick Rose  16.9
Eric Gordon    16.0
Brook Lopez  13.1
Kevin Love  11.1
Rudy Fernandez  10.3
Greg Oden  8.7

APG
Derrick Rose 6.9 APG
O.J. Mayo  3.2
Eric Gordon 2.8
Rudy Fernandez  2.4

RPG
Kevin Love 9.0 RPG
Brook Lopez  8.0
Greg Oden  7.0

SPG
O.J. Mayo  1.1  SPG
Eric Gordon  1.0
Rudy Fernandez 0.9
Derrick Rose  0.8

TS%  (basically points per shot attempt)
Greg Oden  .598
Eric Gordon  .591
Rudy Fernandez .579
Brook Lopez  .573
Kevin Love  .540
O.J. Mayo  .537
Derrick Rose  .515

Player efficiency rating
Kevin Love  18.5
Greg Oden  17.9
Brook Lopez  17.9
Derrick Rose  15.7
Rudy Fernandez  15.1
Eric Gordon  15.0
O.J. Mayo  14.3

PER*WS per 48Min
Greg Oden  2.703
Kevin Love  2.405
Brook Lopez  2.005
Rudy Fernandez  1.978
Eric Gordon  1.275
Derrick Rose  1.193
O.J. Mayo  0.758
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rookie of the year
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »
Derrick Rose will win hands down, but I voted for Kevin Love.  Rose has played well, has played a very demanding position, and his team has improved in wins by 7, so I can see why he would win.

Love though was in the leagues top 10 in 6 categories (all related to rebounding, and actually lead the league in one category, and was second in another).  He is a rebounding machine.  His team improved by 2 or 3 wins (season isn't over yet), but before Al Jefferson was hurt they were headed for 30-35 wins, which would have been an improvement of about 10 wins.  That wasn't all Love, but he clearly was making a major impact.  Most efficient of all the rookies, and though his FG% was average he will eventually find ways to improve that.

Brook Lopez has played very well, I would put him in the top 3.  Top 10 in 5 categories, in 3 different skills, shooting %, rebounds, and blocks.  He will be a very good pro.

Oden has been inconsistent, prone to fouls, and hurt.  Even with that he has the highest WS per 48 Min * PER, second highest efficiency rating in the fewest number of minutes.

Fernandez has played solid all year, and his team has improved the most, but his role was the least critical of all the players on the list.

Eric Gordon will be a very good pro for a long time, he will be a big scorer no doubt.  Toiled with the Clipps, but he really played very well.

O.J. Mayo has scored well, but was the least efficient of the bunch.  He will be the kind of player who puts up big numbers for a long time, but really not make a major impact on a team winning or going deep in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:24:28 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »
Question for anyone ...

IF the Timberwolves grab the first overall pick in this year's draft, and IF they pick Griffin, what do they do in the frontcourt next season?

Obviously, no one knows precisely when Jefferson will return, but with Big Al, Love, and Griffin, someone's not getting a ton of PT.

Now that I'm up in Minnesota, everyone's talking about taking Griffin with the top pick, but obviously someone's going to be the odd-man out ...
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 01:18:58 AM »
Caleb,

I agree;  they have too many big men. 

I'm betting they jettison the most useless of them...and that would be McHale.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:41:50 AM »
Question for anyone ...

IF the Timberwolves grab the first overall pick in this year's draft, and IF they pick Griffin, what do they do in the frontcourt next season?

The T-Wolves should roll Jerry West style and take the best player available, you don't draft for "need".  You can trade for "need" later.

I'm not sure what position the Wolves FO is in but you trade away the biggest (potential) salary or the smallest talent to shore up the "need" position.  IMO Love is on his way out if they get Griffin.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »
Since when did 96 minutes split 3 ways leave someone out?

Pick Griffin and figure out which of the 3 plays off the bench.  Each can still get 30 minutes a game.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:41:04 AM »
For what it's worth, McHale has generally been a proponent of the "best player available" theory.   I think that theory should be especially true when talking about with a terrible record.  It's not like anyone on the Wolves has proven themselves to be completely irreplacable.

I went with Rose for ROY. 

I can't help but notice the absence of Michale Beasley on that list. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »
For what it's worth, McHale has generally been a proponent of the "best player available" theory.   I think that theory should be especially true when talking about with a terrible record.  It's not like anyone on the Wolves has proven themselves to be completely irreplacable.

I went with Rose for ROY. 

I can't help but notice the absence of Michael Beasley on that list. 

I thought about adding him, but there is no way you could make a case from him finishing in even the top 5.  You could make a case for all the others finishing in the top 5.

AA Mil

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 12:59:26 AM »
Beasley is not even the best rookie on his own team!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."