Author Topic: Sixers vs. Raps (6PM): The Battle of High Expectations  (Read 3756 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers vs. Raps (6PM): The Battle of High Expectations
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:07:11 AM »
So much for these both being top 5 teams in the East.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Sixers vs. Raps (6PM): The Battle of High Expectations
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:52:36 AM »
I can't wait to see JO go up against Elton, oops, those moves didn't work out too well this year, now did they.   :o

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:19:14 PM »
It's amazing how many opportunities Evans can contribute for the other team.  We're up 52-48 at the end of the half when we get a gift from Parker who misses 2 straight free throws.  Evans manages to travel with absolutely nobody around him, and Parker capitalizes on the possession with an and 1.  Then on the other end of the court, he feels it necessary to try and put the ball on the floor, which resulted in his signature nothing but back board shot... they end up tying on the next possession.  It's so irritating to hear Bob Salmi consistently pump up Reggie Evans...insanely overrating 'the little things' he brings as well as how much the opposition 'hates facing Reggie Evans (which I beg to differ),' and then never mentions a word about these sloppy mistakes that there's simply no excuse for. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:49:16 PM »
I don't know which line I liked better tonight:

Sixers have given up 103 ppg over their last 4, Tony DiLeo must be happy with their defensive effort (we're on pace to give up more than that tonight)

or

When the other team gets out quickly, you hafta match up with the first guy you see down the floor, and Andre Miller got stuck on Jose Calderon... (Really, when even the ridiculous homer announcer says that it's a problem when your PG is matched up with their PG, you have a problem)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
Which Andre was worse tonight?

Godspeed, Thad!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »
Didn't see the game.  Between the family thing, the Phillies, and the Flyers, it was low on my priority list.  i have it DVR'd, so I'll probably go back and watch it, but I honestly saw the boxscore and said to myself "damn, Iggy almost got a triple double" before noticing.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:06:08 AM »
hmm... we could very well finish this season with a 7 game losing streak.... not exactly the final push I was hoping for. 

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:28:05 AM »
I'm hoping for an 11-game losing streak to end the season.

Try to spin THAT, Eddie...

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:31:50 AM »
I'm hoping for a 16 game winning streak to end the season.  I can never root against my teams while they're in the playoffs.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »
I also find it difficult to root against my team, but we failed to chase down the 5 seed thus destroying any hopes of a best case scenario 2nd round appearance, and I'm pretty sick of just being a post season appetizer for contenders. 

I think we have some nice pieces going forward with Young, Iguodala, Brand, and Speights... and I also think some of the pieces we have (like Lou, J. Smith, 1st rounder, maybe Speights), albeit nice, might be able to net us a better overall player, and perhaps even allow us to unload a bad contract in either Willie, Evans, or Daly.  I'd be all for dangling our 1st rounder and Lou this year to try and get us another every night guy. 

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »
Ducky:

I am afraid that when Eddie gets enough of a sack to come out of the bunker and actually SAY SOMETHING about how his team is tanking once again this April, he's gonna say that if Thad hadn't gotten hurt, we might have gotten homecourt in the first round...and when we get EB back, we're not taht far away.

(excuse me while I hurl)

I think the Sixers are going to keep Di Leo, re-sign Miller and try to sell that to us...and I ain't buying.  Miller running out of gas - AGAIN - in April is no surprise....but Iggy's dropoff is a bit concerning.  Dei Lynum tried to cop the party line about how the Andre's have played a lot of minutes...but Gerald Henderson blew that up when his response was, "well...Dwayne Wade has played a lot of minutes too, and I don't see a dropoff there..."

Sha-ZAMM!

This team needs a new PG.  This team needs a new coach...one that does more than give lip service to coaching defense, but actually produces results.  To me, teams who do not defend well and who do not shoot free throws well tend to be unmotivated and/or poorly coached....and the Sixers suck AZZ at defending and shooting free throws (Iggy is in the BOTTOM 5 of FT shooting at guard, which is simply unaceptable for a guy with an $80 million contract).

This team is more than a healthy Brand and Thad and a tweak away.  Letting this season completely bottom out may be the only way to keep them from trying to sell that to us this summer.

Let Miller walk (Eddie already fucked this up...let's not compound the fuckup by bringin him back).

Sign the best possible FA PG with the MLE (probably Jack, because he defends and can play the 2).

PRAY that they get the PG of the future in the draft.

Get a new coach.

That is what I think they should do, for what that is worth.  Unfortunately, I think Eddie will try to sell us that we're not that far away, which makes me want to blow chunks.

Ed Stefanski - Billy King redux?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 12:51:21 PM »
I liked Ed Stefanski at first.  I really did.  I liked that he was honest.  And then at some point, he got GM disease and started feeding us bullshit.  He did everything right last offseason, even if it didn't work out.  I'm not going to blame him for Elton Brand getting injured.  But this offseason, he doesn't have any obvious choices.  Here's my list of DOs and DON'Ts for Ed this offseason (with the DON'Ts first, because the DOs make more sense after them):

DON'T:

-Resign Andre Miller.  For the love of God, do not resign Andre Miller.  An aging PG who can't play defense, can't shoot the 3, and can't run the pick and roll is about as wrong as it gets for this team.  If Andre Miller is re-signed, I may hafta boycott the Sixers next year.  That would be dedicating yourself to mediocrity.

-Acquire any big men for more than the minimum.  We already have 5 slated for next year.  We don't need anything more than maybe a backup big guy to bang in practice.

-Trade away Iggy, Thad, Brand, or Speights.  That's our starting 2-5 for the foreseeable future.  Don't break it up.  It will work.  There's enough mid-range shooting there to keep teams at least semi-honest.

DO (attempt to):

-Trade Dalembert or Evans. There's not enough minutes for 5, and these two are neither young nor starting material.  I don't really care what we get.

-Acquire a second first round pick. There should be teams looking to sell picks.  As long as we don't resign Miller, we'll be slightly below even the hard cap.  We have enough cap room to take on a mid first, a first in the 20s, a second round pick, a full MLE and still have another 2ish mil under the luxtax.

-Draft a PG in the first round.  If we only have one pick, which will likely be the case, get a PG.  This is a PG-rich class.  Whether it's Lawson, Curry, Maynor, or somebody else, draft one.

-Draft a 3-point shooting SF.  Whether it's a first rounder or a second rounder, we need somebody who can come in for Thad/Iggy and hit the 3 with the second unit.  There's a bunch of Euros who fit this bill in the 2nd round.

-Sign a PG with the MLE.  Self-explanatory.

-Trade for a PG should the previous bullet fail to pan out.  Self-explanatory.

And things I'm ambivalent about:

-Tony Dileo.  I actually think he's a pretty good coach and that the bad defense is often due to young/inexperienced/terrible personnel than anything else.  If they can get a really good coach, go for it.  But it's not make or break as far as I'm concerned.

-Lou Williams and Jason Smith.  I don't think either should be actively shopped, but I'd at least listen to offers.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »
Good post, Ducky...I agree with everything except DiLeo.  I was on the bandwagon at first, but the bloom is off the rose for me...

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 09:05:17 PM »
Good post, Ducky...I agree with everything except DiLeo.  I was on the bandwagon at first, but the bloom is off the rose for me...

Like I said, I'm ambivalent.  I don't think he's a great coach by any means, but I think there are much worse coaches out there too.  And really, other than a few certain coaches who are either remarkably good or remarkably bad, there's very little difference from coach to coach statistically.