Author Topic: Team winning Champ w/o key player  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Team winning Champ w/o key player
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »
For all teams (save the Laker Collusionists), the loss of a key player means altered Championship hopes.
Lets make the definition of "key" to mean Big 2 or Big 3 ala Spurs GNobili,....

CornBread Maxwell of the Celts had a GNob type role and was MVP of the 1981 Finals (altho Bird deserved it), then in 1984 Cornbread was key in Gm 7 by shutting down Magic Johnson while putting up great O to boot.  Injured in 1985, Red A would go on to put a lot of blame on Cornbread for the 1985 loss to the Lakers due to Cornys **alleged** failure to rehab enough to be 95%+ in the fluke Finals loss.  But i don't think you would classify Corny as "Big 3".

1983s LA Flamers had rookie James Worthy go down.  But that year he was hardly a "Big 3" member or even "Big 4" what with Majic, Kream, Dick Bavetta, Keith Wilkes 20ppg, Norm Nixon 15/7, Bob Mc 15/5 altho Worthy certainly did contribute at 13/5.

Has NBA history shown this spells the end of a Championship, or even a Finals appearance?  Always?
Has there ever been a team to suffer a Big 2-Big 3 member loss and still made the Finals?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Team winning Champ w/o key player
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »
For all teams (save the Laker Collusionists), the loss of a key player means altered Championship hopes.

CornBread Maxwell of the Celts had a GNob type role and was MVP of the 1981 Finals (altho Bird deserved it), then in 1984 Cornbread was key in Gm 7 by shutting down Magic Johnson while putting up great O to boot.  Injured in 1985, Red A would go on to put a lot of blame on Cornbread for the 1985 loss to the Lakers due to Cornys **alleged** failure to rehab enough to be 95%+ in the fluke Finals loss.  But i don't think you would classify Corny as "Big 3".

1983s LA Flamers had rookie James Worthy go down.  But that year he was hardly a "Big 3" member or even "Big 4" what with Majic, Kream, Dick Bavetta, Keith Wilkes 20ppg, Norm Nixon 15/7, Bob Mc 15/5 altho Worthy certainly did contribute at 13/5.

Has NBA history shown this spells the end of a Championship, or even a Finals appearance?  Always?
Has there ever been a team to suffer a Big 2-Big 3 member loss and still made the Finals?

Dang, this could have been a good topic......
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »
Thanks FRAN*
It can still be great.  Don't bandwaggon off just yet.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »
Thanks FRAN*
It can still be great.  Don't bandwaggon off just yet.

Topic = Great
Reality Spin = Crap
Thread = Fail

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »
Topic = Great
W.O.W. spin = Fabricated
Added to the thread = Fail

Please stay with your M.O. and skirt off.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 06:13:16 PM »

What else is new?

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »

What else is new?

this pic almost made me spit out my coffee from laughing.....perfect choice WOW.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »

So you don't think the loss of Bynum last season altered the Championship hopes of your favorite team? 

:D

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »
So you don't think the loss of Bynum last season altered the Championship hopes of your favorite marketing team? 
To be replaced by Gasol Collusion?  :D :D
And they still couldn't title.

Yeah I would put Byns at 3rd on the Lakers.
Or would you put at 3rd the "good" Odom?

:D
Yes you Laker posters really contribute.
 :D :D

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:59:38 PM »
Okay, to get back on topic in a futile attempt to contribute, I can't think of any team that still won a title with a missing key player. 

The only thing that pops in to my head is when Detroit beat the Lakers in was it 89' or 90'? with Isiah playing on one foot.  That was one of the more impressive performances I've seen from a player in my day.  I hate that guy these days, but have mad respect for him as a player and to see him torch the Lakers while literally hopping on one foot will be burned in my memory forever. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 04:25:33 PM »
^^ On topic is a contribution, usually.  :D
Saying you can't think of any is a sign of maturity.  Maybe W.O.W. will learn and grow from your example.

A seperate board has yet to come up with a team either.
Not a good sign for the Spurs.  Yet history could be made  ;).....

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »
^^ On topic is a contribution, usually.  :D
Saying you can't think of any is a sign of maturity.  Maybe W.O.W. will learn and grow from your example.

A seperate board has yet to come up with a team either.
Not a good sign for the Spurs.  Yet history could be made  ;).....

Greg Pop has mad skillz reality, he will save the Spurs this playoff run and then you will eat crow.   ;)

I would like to see the guys go far, but I get the feeling it is second round and out for SA.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »
^^ at least Popped had Mase back at the SG last night.
And he let GHill play for a quarter.  ::)  You saw the results.   :D

Hey Spurs can still host R1.  Win final game combined with Hou or Port loss.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:12 PM »
Okay, to get back on topic in a futile attempt to contribute, I can't think of any team that still won a title with a missing key player. 

The only thing that pops in to my head is when Detroit beat the Lakers in was it 89' or 90'? with Isiah playing on one foot.  That was one of the more impressive performances I've seen from a player in my day.  I hate that guy these days, but have mad respect for him as a player and to see him torch the Lakers while literally hopping on one foot will be burned in my memory forever. 

msc,

Crack is bad......

Zeke got hurt in game 6 of the 88 Finals and the Pistons went on to lose the next two games and the Lakers repeated.  Repeating became the norm until the Spurs failed to do so after the * title.  The Lakers got back to the "repeat" mojo but nobody has followed since.

Kareem in 80, Willis Reed in ? vs Wilt.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »

msc,

Crack is bad......

Zeke got hurt in game 6 of the 88 Finals and the Pistons went on to lose the next two games and the Lakers repeated.  Repeating became the norm until the Spurs failed to do so after the * title.  The Lakers got back to the "repeat" mojo but nobody has followed since.

Kareem in 80, Willis Reed in ? vs Wilt.

Ahh cripes, there you go again WOW with your accuracy and facts and what not.  All I remember was Zeke destroyed us in one game on one foot.  Clearly I mixed up the years and series es es.  Then it was 89' when Magic and Byron both got hurt and we were screwed, right?