Author Topic: Basketball Thoughts, EC  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Basketball Thoughts, EC
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »
Having offered my brief yet precise observation on the utter joke some people are here, allow me to make a few basketball observations. I will preface this by acknowledging my self-imposed exile will make some think I am making these comments with the luxury of hindsight, however, the truly intelligent ones know me better than that; with the exception of MSC, there IS no more rational, objective Laker fan on this board, indeed, I would say that statement applies to all posters in general.

Celtics: Dismiss this team at your peril, they are better and deeper than Cleveland and if they take Cleveland Sunday it will prove what I have thought all along, they are still the team to beat in the EC, losing Posey is a glaring problem because Marbury has made little impact that I can see, but Garnett's achy body will be the biggest issue come post season still I think they have enough to take Cleveland or Orlando, and most certainly Miami. The sole team of any consequence they got soundly whipped by this year? Los Angeles, and I don't mean the Clippers. That said, Boston I think may have just enough to get out of the East, Sunday may tell the tale, but their being beat by either Cleveland or Orlando to me is not an upset, reigning champs notwithstanding. They come out of the East; they will fall to LA, period.

Cavaliers: The 2 teams to take the season series from this team? Orlando and LA, and Boston could do the same (really they MUST do so) on Sunday. Their home court is a black hole and the EC has no choice but to beat them there if they are to advance but I do not feel they are as deep or as talented as people believe. Ilgauskas and Mo Williams are the standout contributors that give LeBron room to play his brilliant game, Wallace being back could be the back breaker for Boston or Orlando, other than that, team play has given them the edge, not individual talent, other than the clear MVP this year, LeBron James. Not that I dismiss team play, but at their level, Orlando does more with even less and they took them 1-2 this year. I hate that I will be rooting for either Philly (twice!!) or Boston to win a game to bring them even with LA but if ever home court gives a team a scary edge, it's in Cleveland and if it is them LA faces, I want that edge removed.

Magic: Playing over their heads, but this is the EC, not too hard to do, but you can't deny what they've done, the ONLY teams to take the season from them are Detroit (0-3) and Houston (0-2) and they should not face either one in the post season, they also took LA 0-2 and if Howard (one of my favorite players in the NBA) steps up offensively, they could make some noise, I think they can beat Cleveland, not Boston. Hedo has dropped a little from last year but is still having a great year and while not a great shooter, he's good enough he must be respected, Alston gives them a little more defense than they had last year, and Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis keep defenses honest with their 3 point shooting. Could make the ECF if things go their way and they manage to take Boston in the second round but I don't think so.

These are the teams of consequence in the East (sorry Derek) that can challenge for a ring; Philly got there beating nobody (except Detroit, Portland, and Houston). Western Conference to follow.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:17:38 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Basketball Thoughts, EC
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:30:46 AM »
Having offered my brief yet precise observation on the utter joke some people are here, allow me to make a few basketball observations. I will preface this by acknowledging my self-imposed exile will make some think I am making these comments with the luxury of hindsight, however, the truly intelligent ones know me better than that; with the exception of MSC, there IS no more rational, objective Laker fan on this board, indeed, I would say that statement applies to all posters in general.

I'm the most rational and objective Laker fan on this board, MSC INCLUDED!  Pah-leeze...MSC will tell you as much... ;D

P.S.  I'm not kidding.

Celtics: Dismiss this team at your peril, they are better and deeper than Cleveland and if they take Cleveland Sunday it will prove what I have thought all along, they are still the team to beat in the EC, losing Posey is a glaring problem because Marbury has made little impact that I can see, but Garnett's achy body will be the biggest issue come post season still I think they have enough to take Cleveland or Orlando, and most certainly Miami. The sole team of any consequence they got soundly whipped by this year? Los Angeles, and I don't mean the Clippers. That said, Boston I think may have just enough to get out of the East, Sunday may tell the tale, but their being beat by either Cleveland or Orlando to me is not an upset, reigning champs notwithstanding. They come out of the East; they will fall to LA, period.

With or without KG, the Celtics are not better than the Cavs because of King James.  He's taken the final step in becomming the best basketball player on the planet today, DEFENSE.  LeBron will not let the Cavs lose to the Celtics, the starting five for the Cavs, while not as talented, is just as good as the Celtics.  Both benches are weak but since the Cavs have HC their bench will do better overall than the Celtics and take the series in 6 IF they should meet.

Cavaliers: The 2 teams to take the season series from this team? Orlando and LA, and Boston could do the same (really they MUST do so) on Sunday. Their home court is a black hole and the EC has no choice but to beat them there if they are to advance but I do not feel they are as deep or as talented as people believe. Ilgauskas and Mo Williams are the standout contributors that give LeBron room to play his brilliant game, Wallace being back could be the back breaker for Boston or Orlando, other than that, team play has given them the edge, not individual talent, other than the clear MVP this year, LeBron James. Not that I dismiss team play, but at their level, Orlando does more with even less and they took them 1-2 this year. I hate that I will be rooting for either Philly (twice!!) or Boston to win a game to bring them even with LA but if ever home court gives a team a scary edge, it's in Cleveland and if it is them LA faces, I want that edge removed.

With HC the Cavs will not lose a playoff series, not in the EC and not in the Finals IMO.  The only team that has a shot at taking one from the Cavs on their HC is the Lakers.  IMO, should they meet in the Finals the Lakers MUST win one of the first two or the series will be over in 6, just like last year.

Magic: Playing over their heads, but this is the EC, not too hard to do, but you can't deny what they've done, the ONLY teams to take the season from them are Detroit (0-3) and Houston (0-2) and they should not face either one in the post season, they also took LA 0-2 and if Howard (one of my favorite players in the NBA) steps up offensively, they could make some noise, I think they can beat Cleveland, not Boston. Hedo has dropped a little from last year but is still having a great year and while not a great shooter, he's good enough he must be respected, Alston gives them a little more defense than they had last year, and Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis keep defenses honest with their 3 point shooting. Could make the ECF if things go their way and they manage to take Boston in the second round but I don't think so.

Orlando can NOT win unless their 3 point shooters are consistently hot.  For all his hype and comparrisons to Shaq, Dwight is no Shaq, Dwight can be controlled.  Shaq could not be stopped in the playoffs in his prime with the Lakers, Dwight is not there yet and a solid defensive team like the Celtics or Cavs will handle them no problem.

These are the teams of consequence in the East (sorry Derek) that can challenge for a ring; Philly got there beating nobody (except Detroit, Portland, and Houston). Western Conference to follow.

Yup, that's pretty much it for the weaker EC, the WC has a lot more to it than the big 3.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »

I'm the most rational and objective Laker fan on this board, MSC INCLUDED!  Pah-leeze...MSC will tell you as much... ;D

P.S.  I'm not kidding.

Haha!  This is true, I'll vouch for WOW here.  Although it's painful to admit, I find myself agreeing with WOW's takes almost always. 

Plus, I haven't been posting much, so I can't really take any sort of credit for anything, although I appreciate your comment Laker Fan. 

All season long I've viewed the Celtics as the team to beat.  They're the defending champs, play excellent defense, great rebounding and all around team play.  I still view them as a huge threat in the East and to whoever eventually comes out of the West, but I have to admit, they just don't look as intimidating as they did last season.  I'm not sure if it's the lack of Posey, or if it's the nagging injuries, or if it's just that they are not as motivated as they were last season now that they have a ring.  Perhaps it's a combination of all of the above, but they just haven't been as dominant as they were last year.  Sunday's game normally wouldn't be a big deal to me.  It was one of the last games of the season, no Garnett, they're resting up for the playoffs.  But this game was a bad sign for the Celtics.  They're playing the Cavs, who are their biggest threat in the East and they just laid down.  I know it's just one game, but this was a statement game.   This was a game where the Celts could have communicated to the Cavs that they might have had the best record this year, but we can still kick your butt in your house, so look out come playoff time.  And they obviously not only didn't do that, but they played like scared, slow, wimps.  Maybe it's the lack of Garnett.  I hope for Boston's sake that his knee is okay and they're just being overly cautious and resting him for the post season.  We all know too well how those nagging knee injuries can linger and I hope this is not the case for KG.  Especially if the Lakers are lucky enough to meet them again in the finals this year.  We don't want any excuses when we avenge last years loss.  And I do believe the Lakers would beat  the Celtics this year.  A healthy Bynum and Ariza combined with a full year of Gasol playing with the team is enough to surpass the Celts ... especially since they seem to have dropped down a notch.  All that being said, I still will not discount this team and think they have as good a chance of winning it all as any of the big 4.   

Cleveland has completely won me over.  How could they not?  They have the best record in the NBA and after 82 games, I don't care who you are, that is not a fluke.  LeBron is LeBron.  We've all seen him emerge as the best player in the league and the scarey thing is ... he's still improving.  His improved defense and shooting combined with his exceptional size, strength and quickness are unlike anything I think I've seen first hand in watching basketball since the early 80's.  Maybe Oscar Robinson would be a good comparison, but I wasn't alive to watch him play in person, so it's hard for me to compare.  So we all know LeBron is a stud, but his supporting cast has really gelled and bought in to their system and that is a dangerous thing for the Lakers, Celts, Magic and whoever else they face.  When you hold their roster next to the other big three teams, they don't seem to stack up talent wise.  Fortunately for Cleveland, basketball is a team sport and there is nothing more formidable than a team of guys who have all bought in to their respective roles and play as one cohesive unit.  Cleveland has achieved this level and that along with home court advantage is going to make it very hard for any team to beat them in a 7 game series this year.  I still like the Lakers chances against them if they were to meet in the finals.  I think Phil can do some things to key on LeBron and exploit some mismatches over a 7 game series that will give us a good chance, but it's going to be tough and will likely go 7 games.  I'm thankful the Lakers were able to be the sole team to defeat Cleveland on their home court as that will no doubt be in the back of both teams heads should they meet in June. 

Orlando has impressed me as well this season.  Losing Jameer Nelson really hurt them, but I'm actually surprised they haven't fallen off that much since Alston came over.  Thanks Houston!  My boy Aaron Brooks is just too darn good, so Alston became expendable.  Howard is a stud down low on the defensive end and a monster on the boards.  His offense leaves something to be desired, but he's so strong and quick he can get point blank position below the basket and make dunk after chippy after dunk.  So who needs a 15 ft jumper?  The thing about Orlando that makes me doubt that they can go all the way is their offense.  They jack up a ton of threes and while they've got some excellent outside shooters, I don't think that style of play wins out in the playoffs.  It might win you a game or two, but it's going to lose you a couple as well.  The old adage, live by the three die by the three rings true with this team, IMO.  Should they somehow make it to the Finals and the Lakers are fortunate enough to rep the West, I feel very confident the Lakers will beat this team.  They have enough length and big bodies to really disrupt Howard and they've improved their perimeter defense with the likes of Ariza and Shannon Brown (a great perimeter defender) along side Kobe who's not too shabby guarding the perimeter in his own right. 

If I had to make a prediction today, I'd have to go with the Lakers vs. the Cavs in the NBA Finals and the Lakers prevailing in 7 games.   

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:29:23 AM by msc »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
It's funny how a post about the EC gets turned into a who's going to play the Lakers post. Even funnier when the posters claim objectivity.

The East seedings are just about locked up, Phila. and Chicago still have to determine who gets to play Boston and who gets to play Orlando.  Phila. is in the drivers seat in as much as a loss would assure them a meeting with the Celtics.

That's preferable for Phila. Since Boston looks to be without a healthy KG that's a better match-up.

Assuming that's what happens we get:

Cleveland vs. Detroit - The bad boys are done and it's perfect for LeBron to knock them out. Maybe Detroit gets one, I doubt it.

Boston vs. Phila. - Depends on KG. If he goes and is effective, Boston will roll the Sixers in 6 or less. A hobled KG and the Sixers take the series. 

Orlando vs. Chicago - The Bulls got better by adding Salmons, and they come into the playoffs riding an 8-2 in their last 10. Orlando has been great all year, but injuries are killng them and they're limping in.  If they remain injured Chicago will beat them, if Orlando's players come back in time, they'll win.

Atlanta vs. Miami - Sorry but MVP candidate Dwayne Wade can't get by Atlanta by himself.  Either team won't be much of a match for Cleveland anyway.

So injuries can play a big part in the East, but will likely only serve to make it easier for Cleveland to make it to the finals over Orlando and Boston. Seems kind of silly to worry about seeding when it results in injuries just as the real season is about to begin. Old teams are more vulnerable to this type of thing. In the West SA is going to be in serious trouble for the same reason. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:57:11 PM »
It's funny how a post about the EC gets turned into a who's going to play the Lakers post. Even funnier when the posters claim objectivity.

So injuries can play a big part in the East, but will likely only serve to make it easier for Cleveland to make it to the finals over Orlando and Boston. Seems kind of silly to worry about seeding when it results in injuries just as the real season is about to begin. Old teams are more vulnerable to this type of thing. In the West SA is going to be in serious trouble for the same reason. 

It's funny how stupid you are in general, and how clueless you are about basketball.  It's clear you're biased against anything Lakers cause they bitchslapped the Sixers, one of the most decorated teams in NBA history, in the Finals.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »

Boston vs. Phila. - Depends on KG. If he goes and is effective, Boston will roll the Sixers in 6 or less. A hobled KG and the Sixers take the series. 

Sort of like last night where Philly lost on their home court with more on the line and Boston missing TWO of its stars?  That type of taking the series?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »
Self-proclaimed objectivity.  :(

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 01:39:51 PM »

Sort of like last night where Philly lost on their home court with more on the line and Boston missing TWO of its stars?  That type of taking the series?

They had to lose that game to get Boston in the series, they may have to lose tonight as well, depending on what Chicago does against Toronto.

So no, not like that at all.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 01:44:38 PM »

It's funny how stupid you are in general, and how clueless you are about basketball.  It's clear you're biased against anything Lakers cause they bitchslapped the Sixers, one of the most decorated teams in NBA history, in the Finals.

That's completly idiotic. Why should I care that the Lakers beat the Sixers a few years ago?  They were the better team by far.  I knew the Sixers couldn't win that series, so the loss didn't bother me at all.  I didn't even say anything about the Lakers and you decide to call me stupid.  It's unnecessary to call you anything, any objective poster can come to his own conclusions!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »

I don't really see how it's funny or not objective. 

Fact: the Lakers are heavily favored to win the West.  Obviously when a Laker fan, or any fan for that matter, is evaluating the eastern conference teams and making a prediction as to which of them will make it to the finals the natural progression is to opine as to how they would stack up against the team favored to come out of the West; i.e., the Lakers. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »

I didn't even say anything about the Lakers and you decide to call me stupid.

Can't connect the irony dots any more than that for you dummy.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »

They had to lose that game to get Boston in the series, they may have to lose tonight as well, depending on what Chicago does against Toronto.

So Philly was TRYING to lose last night?  Do you honestly believe that Philly is so good they can try to manipulate theire matchups?

Bottom line...last night on the Sixers home court they lost to the team you "claim" they want to face.  And that team was missing 2 of its 3 all-stars.  The Sixers will be lucky to win 1 game in a series with Boston.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »

So Philly was TRYING to lose last night?  Do you honestly believe that Philly is so good they can try to manipulate theire matchups?

Bottom line...last night on the Sixers home court they lost to the team you "claim" they want to face.  And that team was missing 2 of its 3 all-stars.  The Sixers will be lucky to win 1 game in a series with Boston.

Apparently us Laker fans aren't the only ones who have the market cornered on the lack of objectivity.   

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 06:18:54 PM »

If Philly's going to try to lose tonight, it just got harder for them.  Looks like Cleveland won't play their starters ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4070466

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 07:02:30 PM »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It's unnecessary to call you anything, any objective poster can come to his own conclusions!

The conclusion is, you're an idiot!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"