Author Topic: Sixers vs. Bucks: Who plays SF?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers vs. Bucks: Who plays SF?
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »
For those who know me from Philaphans, you probably remember my DDD topics.  Well, I've decided to combine DDD with GDT because GDTs get no talk here anyway.  So I'm going to make the GDTs with a comment or question that relates to the game at hand generally.

So yeah, who's the backup SF?  Royal Ivey?  That's an awfully small lineup.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers vs. Bucks: Who plays SF?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »
Perhaps Rush gets some minutes tonight at SF

By the way, who else is NOT looking forward to watching Evans try to guard Villanueva? 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »
It depends on what Milwaukee tries to do, but it is most likely that we get Dalembert, Speights, Iguodala, Green and Miller, with Ratliff, Evans, Marshall, Ivey and Williams playing as backups.

This is a good chance to see how well they can integrate Speights into the offense against a relatively weak team, with a very slim shot of making the playoffs. The Sixers really have to get this win, they need a cushion over Miami before we play Cleveland twice and Boston to end the season.

Really the rest of the season is going to be about winning without Thad's 20 ppg. Since I've been wanting Speights to get more time, and the coaching staff has been reluctant, the injury will force their hand.  Really they don't really have another player who can come in and possibly give them those 20 pts.  In theory it should actually make the Sixers better, since Thad wasn't much of a defensive stopper anyway. Speights won't get those easy baskets that Thad did by running the floor, but he did shoot some low-post moves when he was given the ball against the Hawks.

The team should rebound better as well as block out with Speights in instead of Thad. We should expect the interior defense to pick up a bit, encouraging opposing teams to take more outside shots.

Since the Sixers like to play Iguodala for nearly 40 min. a night, it's not much of a problem to find a replacement.  It might very well be that Rush gets a chance.  He did play well the last time he got into a game.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 01:47:02 PM »
I would not mind seeing more Donyell.  He can't run like Thad, but he probably he is a long and craft defender.  Unfortunately, nobody matches up particularly well against Charlie.  But the rest of the team does not inspire much fear.  Sessions has yet to go off against the Sixers.  I wasn't even sure if I should start him tonight.

BTW, like how for 4 straight games we go against a team the Lakers within a couple of nights of our game.  Let Kobe and them soften up the opposition.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »
Rick: I agree with most of your post.  However, you are not giving Thad NEARLY enough credit.  He was fairly amazing defensively considering the assignments he routinely drew at both PF and SF.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »
I would not mind seeing more Donyell.  He can't run like Thad, but he probably he is a long and craft defender.  Unfortunately, nobody matches up particularly well against Charlie.  But the rest of the team does not inspire much fear.  Sessions has yet to go off against the Sixers.  I wasn't even sure if I should start him tonight.

Sessions had a nice showing the other night with a big triple double.  Whoever snags him up in free agency is getting a steal.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »
Rick: I agree with most of your post.  However, you are not giving Thad NEARLY enough credit.  He was fairly amazing defensively considering the assignments he routinely drew at both PF and SF.

To be fair to Thad, he is undersized at the 4 spot, so maybe it's not fair to expect him to rebound like one or defend as one. I now that he worked hard on his defense and his rotations, but he isn't a shot blocker or a big rebounder.

I'm not sure how well Speights will do, but with his size we should see more blocks and more boards. It's not  Thad's fault that he isn't big enough to be a 4, but don't discount how replacing him with a bigger taller player puts more pressure on the teams we face.

I would have loved to have seen a line-up with Dalembert, Speights Young, Iguodala and Williams/Miller.  I guess we'll have to wait for the postseason to see that one.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 08:44:15 PM »
Lou and Speights stepped it up tonight.... Evans had a surprisingly decent game.  I'm glad Scott Skiles doesn't coach the sixers.  No idea why Villanueva only played 25 min.  He wasn't exactly playing well, but that just didn't make sense considering the alternative options.... as a Sixers fan, I'm not complaining. 

About half way through the game I was looking at our players and it really hit home how mediocre our current lineup is without Thad and Brand.  Good to see them pull together and get a half game lead on the 5 seed. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
Nice win by the Sixers. Have to give credit to Evans for stepping up, he really played well at the start of the game.  I wanted more minutes for Speights, I don''t understand why they won't play him for more than 25 min.

Lou Williams also made a strong contribution, and he and the other two made up for Thad nicely.

This team is going to make some real noise in the playoffs if they can keep this up. It's one thing to do this to Milwaukee, some of the other teams left are a bit more of a challenge.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »

Sessions had a nice showing the other night with a big triple double.  Whoever snags him up in free agency is getting a steal.

He's a RFA like Lou was last summer.  I doubt he's going anywhere.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 07:35:51 AM »
P

By the way, who else is NOT looking forward to watching Evans try to guard Villanueva? 

What do ya know.  Evans OUTSCORED Villanueva.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 07:41:46 AM »
I don''t understand why they won't play him for more than 25 min.

Come on.  For months you couldn't understand why Speights didn't play 18 minutes...  Now he plays twenty five and that's not enough?  (By the way, he played almost twenty seven.)  He isn't Allen Iverson.  Twenty Five is alot of minutes for a kid who averages 15.

He had a nice game.  Evans had a nice game.  We won.

It's a good day.