Author Topic: NBA Draft Discussion  (Read 58748 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: NBA Draft Discussion
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 02:28:50 PM »
Just leaving media day.

Jennings is reportedly considering removing himself from the green room.  Word around is there's definitely a possibility he falls

Charlotte has supposedly decided in their guy and gave him a promise.  Any potential deal with charlotte iis pretty much dead.

Flynn is awesome.

More to come.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 04:36:39 PM »
Just leaving media day.

Jennings is reportedly considering removing himself from the green room.  Word around is there's definitely a possibility he falls

Charlotte has supposedly decided in their guy and gave him a promise.  Any potential deal with charlotte iis pretty much dead.

Flynn is awesome.

More to come.

If he falls to the Sixers and they don't take him, I will...punch the next cute fluffy animal I see.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »
From Ford:

A number of reports have surfaced over a potential Bobcats-Sixers trade that would send Samuel Dalembert and the No. 17 pick to Charlotte for Nazr Mohammed, Vladimir Radmanovic and the No. 12 pick.

While I was able to confirm that the Bobcats indeed made the pitch, the Sixers just as quickly shot it down.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »
that deal's pretty much gone.  I have it on pretty good word that the Bobcats are keeping their pick and have made a promise.

btw, for all the Flynn supporters (of which I was one if we traded up), he seems to be a near-lock to get 4. You can pretty much take him off your draft board

Offline KnuxFuture

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2009, 10:02:18 PM »
I finally found my old password........yaaay.  Let's get Jennings here nao ED!

Offline Thad_Young_FTW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2009, 10:04:01 PM »
Yeah, Jennings has question marks. But he also has huge upside.  And if all you need to do is bring the ball up, Jennings can do that.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2009, 11:13:32 PM »
that deal's pretty much gone.  I have it on pretty good word that the Bobcats are keeping their pick and have made a promise.

btw, for all the Flynn supporters (of which I was one if we traded up), he seems to be a near-lock to get 4. You can pretty much take him off your draft board

Wow... if Flynn goes 4 then it'll be interesting to see if Rubio goes #3 or slides to Minnesota at 5. If the Wolves come out of this with Rubio and Evans, that'll be an A+ Draft. That would also mean that the Knicks would get Curry and therefore the draft for us will get really interesting.

As of the 9th pick... Jennings, Holiday, Lawson, Maynor, and Teague would all still be on the board.

Offline Thad_Young_FTW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »
Out of that group I'd want:

Jennings, Holiday, Teague in that order.

We need talent and playmaking. We need more talent.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 12:58:39 AM »
Based on what I read from DraftExpress tonight, it sounds like the Top 8 picks are starting to be projected with a little more accuracy.

1. Griffin
2. Thabeet
3. Rubio
4. Flynn
5. Harden
6. Curry
7. Hill
8. Holiday or Evans

With the Pacers having interest in Lawson, I think we need to hope Jennings slides down to us.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2009, 03:47:30 AM »
Any chance we have had Jennings in for a last minute workout a la Andre Iguodala a few years ago?  DX also has Gerald Henderson falling to one spot in front of the Sixers.  If both Henderson and Jennings fall to 17, who do you take?  I think I take Henderson even with all of Jenning's potential upside, Henderson is a better fit and far more of a sure thing.  Jennings is a ball dominant, not very big PG who is not a great shooter at this point.  He seems to be Lou Williams with much better court vision/passing skills.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2009, 07:10:03 AM »
What do you do with Henderson though? Drafting him would mean playing Iggy-Thad-Brand in the frontcourt.  That's awfully small.  Not to mention Henderson isn't exactly known for his shooting ability, which is what we need.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »
Any chance we have had Jennings in for a last minute workout a la Andre Iguodala a few years ago?  DX also has Gerald Henderson falling to one spot in front of the Sixers.  If both Henderson and Jennings fall to 17, who do you take?  I think I take Henderson even with all of Jenning's potential upside, Henderson is a better fit and far more of a sure thing.  Jennings is a ball dominant, not very big PG who is not a great shooter at this point.  He seems to be Lou Williams with much better court vision/passing skills.

Repost from realgm after SF said the Sixers would take Maynor over Jenings:

So if Jennings and Holiday were the consensus #1 and #2 of their high school class, why is the team even considering passing on them. Look at the consensus #1 and #2 from 2002-2008:

Number #1
Amare Stoudemire 2002
LeBron James 2003
Dwight Howard 2004
Gerald Green 2005 *
Greg Oden 2006
O.J. Mayo 2007
Brandon Jennings 2008

Carmelo Anthony 2002
Luol Deng 2003
Shaun Livingston 2004
Josh McRoberts 2005
Kevin Durant 2006
Kevin Love 2007
Jrue Holiday 2008

http://www.draftexpress.com/RSCI/

Arguably that is as good of a track record as top 5 picks in the draft.
Even if 2008 was a down year for HS seniors, I'd say being top 2 is a strong enough pedigree to pick a player at your position of need at pick#17.

Young, Iguodala, Lou and Speights... none were top 5 ranked.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 08:36:50 AM »
What do you do with Henderson though? Drafting him would mean playing Iggy-Thad-Brand in the frontcourt.  That's awfully small.  Not to mention Henderson isn't exactly known for his shooting ability, which is what we need.

I agree with you, but I think that is already the planned front court.  It is also assuming that Henderson would step in as a starter, I see more as a replacement for WG as the Sg off the bench since I understand Kapono primarily plays SF.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 08:46:06 AM »
If you are sitting at #17 you don't pass on the best player (say Henderson) just because he is not the perfect fit with your current roster.  That reeks Hughes over Pierce thinking.

You are drafting at #17 becasue you are average.  You are not a contender next year, regardless of how wel your rookie slots into your currnet roster.  If Henderson ends up a stud then in 2 years you trade either Henderson or Young for another stud who fits your roster.  Thats certainly better than settling for a role player level talent that best fits next to you current average squad.

Same thing with Jennings and Lou or Holiday and his poor shooting.  You go for the home run at 17, and then make the pieces fit later.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »
think henderson's a bad fit and slightly overrated.  I'm also not as high on him as others. 

As for passing on fit, I go with tiers.  If henderson is a tier above the guy I would want, then I'm not passing him on fit.  But if he's roughly comparable in terms of others in terms of potential who are better fit?  then I'll probably go with the better fit.  All situations are unique, obviously.