Author Topic: NBA Draft Discussion  (Read 58742 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: NBA Draft Discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »
should be fine.

I'm actually going to be using my server to help handle draftexpress's load, so it might be a bit slow (and if I need the resources, might shut it down alltogether).

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »
You're still going up to the draft, right? Also, any thoughts on Jennings? I remember you saying that you received a ton of film on him.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 01:17:22 PM »
yup.  still going up to the draft.

haven't watched much of jennings.  mostly because I just don't have a lot of interest in him.  I will before the draft, but I haven't concentrated on him yet.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 01:29:45 PM »
As of now, who do you like for the Sixers at #17? SF76 seems to believe that it'll be a toss up between Maynor and Lawson. While I do have questions about Lawson's size (and health to some degree), I'd prefer to see him be the pick over Maynor.

What about you?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 02:57:50 PM »
I'm not a very big fan of Maynor at all.  I'm always leary of guards going up against Hofstra and Drexel on a regular basis.  His game against UCLA was important, but it's a very small sample size.

I see him being a turnover prone, inconsistent shooting, ball dominating, poor defensive pro.  I just don't think his game, with how much they relied on him, and how big of a jump the NBA is athletically, is going to translate.  Not when his peripherals (court vision, consistent shooting, turnover prone) are weaknesses as they are.

He is a very, very iso-heavy point guard.  If he's not able to get into the lane as much as he could in college, he's going to struggle.  His saving grace (and the only reason I'm not completely writing him off) is he is fairly good in the pick and roll department.  Not great (like Rubio), but lends credence that he might be a good fit with Speights/Brand (although I think he's a fairly bad fit with Iguodala/Young).  Although even there, he's much more apt to use the pick as a means to get himself into the lane than he is to either shoot a jumper or setup the roll man, so even this may be negated quite heavily when the defenders he's going against get ratcheted up a level athletically.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:04:21 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 09:54:29 PM »
what I'm goign to use the server for with draftexpress will be so resource un-intensive that these boards should not be impact.  spam away :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »
If SF feels uncomfortable at realgm, he could come over here... I think he registered.

As for the draft, it is like next years team- low expectations.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »
If SF feels uncomfortable at realgm, he could come over here... I think he registered.

As for the draft, it is like next years team- low expectations.

I think he's a bit gun shy at this point altogether and I don't blame. All it would take is someone from this board to mention a rumor of his either off of the computer or on another message board and we're right back where we are now and that's a damn shame 'cause he was giving solid updates everyday.

I guess the good news that came out of it is...

A) Tom Moore now visits RealGM everyday and gives some insight

B) We lured the Sixers PR department out of hiding and got them to post a couple of things.

If I had my wish though... it would be for all of that to go away and for SF to go back to posting his updates. Did you see the post with all of the links to various sites talking about the SF rumors? There was even some 17 year kid on YouTube talking about them. Man... the internet can be a strange and hilarious place.

TK.... are you going to be around here on draft night? You barely post over on TealGM anymore and frankly... I miss you, brotha! Stop holding out!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 06:06:04 PM »
I should be able to relay at least some information in draft day (and probably media day the night before).  should have a comp with me, if not I'll find someone to text to post.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 01:05:01 PM »
The Sixers recent draft history has been stellar in my opinion, with Thad Young picked at 12 and Mareese Speights at 16 the following year. If we can get another player like those two out of this draft, it would help the team immensely.  Since their pick this season is 17 if the draft is as good as last seasons, we could get lucky again (or at that point would it be considered skill/)

I'm not thrilled with the idea of another big man project. Unless we can trade Dalembert, which I think the team is trying to do, we should have enough big men with him, Smith and Speights.  Under most circumstances only one of them is going to play anyway; with Brand, Young and Iguodala getting a lot of PT.

Whether we keep Miller or not, we're going to need to replace him and his production eventually. I figure he has two-three good seasons left with the right team, and is probably too defensively limited to be the starting guard on a Championship team.  (Although I would say he was better than Derrik Fisher) That doesn't mean we have to replace him this season.

It would be best if we could sign him to a reasonable contract and buy us a few seasons to find a better player, I'm not sure how much other teams will want him. The other option would be to let him go and pick up another free agent guard, or find a player in the draft or free agency. 

In a motion offense, the team relies on everyone passing and moving without the ball.  That puts less emphasis on the passing ability of the point guard, who's primary role is to bring up the ball, meaning he needs to be sure-handed. It would also help if the player had a good outside shot.  Theoretically, this implies that we don't need Miller, but a player who can defend, bring up the ball and hit the outside shot. 

This past season we really needed his scoring, but with Brand in the line-up and Young only getting better and Iguodala improving as well, I don't think we'll need as much scoring from the point, just enough to keep the defenses honest and spread the floor. Miller is an inside scorer, but I'm not thrilled with relying on that when we have better post options.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »
I was pretty fired up about the prospects each of the last 2 years- and it was great to see them draft the players we wanted.

This year I'm not sold on the prospects.  Can't really put my finger on it, but it reminds me of the Carney draft, where most of the players taken 10-20 were duds:

9  Patrick O'Bryant
10 Saer Sene
11 J.J. Redick
12 Hilton Armstrong
13 Thabo Sefolosha
14 Ronnie Brewer
15 Cedric Simmons
16 Rodney Carney
17 Shawne Williams
18 Oleksiy Pecherov
19 Quincy Douby
20 Renaldo Balkman

That year was considered a down year going in (the top HS players were ineligible for the 1st time.)  This year is also seen as a down year.  Hopefully it will turn out better.

---

TGP- looks like things jave really improved over at RealGM.  You guys layed down the law and some good posters stepped up to filled the void.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 02:32:29 PM »
And, given the names floated as being available at #17 I'd like them to get Lawson.  But my hunch is another team falls in llove with him and drafts him much higher (like top 12.)  It only takes one team for a guy to shot up the draft board.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 08:11:48 AM »
I think there are a lot of future 'solid' NBA players in this draft.  I also think Lawson would be the best fit at 17, but for teams using statistical models, as per Chad Ford this includes the Sixers, as a draft evaluation tool, Lawson is ranking very high.  I think he is gone before 17.

Offline PhilasFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »
I can see Lawson sneaking up someones board come draft night...which sucks cause i want him @ 17.

Maynors ok...but i have some SERIOUS ??? about his game translating to the next level.
hes an average jump shooter, and is not quick/athletic enough to get into the paint as easily as he did in the CAA.

Im more and more hoping we gets Collison or Mills(unless flynn holiday jennings falls) if Lawsons gone

Offline Westbrook36

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 05:21:11 PM »
I still have my account from I think it was last year or the year before. Not sure I'll be on the boards during draft night though. If I'm here I'll try to be, but I might be watching it with a friend of mine. I'll see.

If so, see you fellas here thurs.