Author Topic: NBA Draft Discussion  (Read 58739 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: NBA Draft Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »
From what I have read Kapono mainly plays SF, although it doesn't really matter, he can't defend from either position. 

Traits I am looking for in a PG prospect are shooting and defense first, that is why all of these little, pass first guards who can't shoot do not excite me.  Lou and Miller were terrible defensively at the point last year.  You can hide a role playing shooter like Kapono on defense a little, but we must get better defensively at PG.  I am all for BPA at 17 if we stay there.

I keep hearing that Lou is going to be our starting PG, that scares the crap out of me.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 05:45:35 PM »
It seems to me they have the 2 spot secure with Iguodala and Kapono. The Sixers can't afford to get rid of Miller and expect Williams or a draft pick to be as productive.  If Miller goes they need to acquire another quality guard. Someone to compliment Iguodala, Young and Brand, a player who will score about 15 pts. and deal 8 assists each night, come up with a couple of steals and is physical enough to stop penetration by other speedy points.

I don't see anyone in the draft that can do that.  I'm not sure where the Sixers will find that player. Do they expect Iguodala to play the point?

I also can't see Brand at Center. Dalembert is a back-up Center, Smith looks to be no more than a back up Center and Speights is a power forward. I think we need a big man as much as we need a guard. If we can find a good one- this team has managed to find some decent players late in the draft, we'd be better off keeping Miller, and waiting until next season to do something at the point.

Stefanski needs to find a trade partner to take Dalembert off our hands, and address this need.  More than anything else this is the position where the Sixers need the most help. 

Put it this way: if you get a chance to get rid of one player who would it be, Miller or Dalembert? Which player is holding the team back more?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:12 PM »
Put it this way: if you get a chance to get rid of one player who would it be, Miller or Dalembert? Which player is holding the team back more?

This is basically an apples and oranges question, since one guy they would like to keep at a certain price and number of years and the other they are trying hellaciously to dump.

Sammy is the worse fit of the two, simply because Miller has some offensive skills and Sammy does not.  IMO, the team will be better off long term without either one, but I am not on the start Lou Williams at PG bandwagon.  I don't mind having a scoring PG, but Lou has extremely poor court vision, is not a relaible outside shooter, is not good defensively and is smallish and likely to break down with two many minutes.

Williams is the guy I am most likely to move if I am the GM.  I want shooting, physical defense and careful ball handling out of that position.  Lou is a streaky, slashing scorer and spark plug type when he is on, not a starting PG even on a team taht runs a motion offense.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »
I agree that the Sixers need a PG who can shoot- but if Sessions is going to be a top scoring PG available for the MLE then you should not pass on him.  I think he can really excel in the Princton 2 guard offense- and you can never have enough young talent.  Worst cae you trade a young player in a year or two for a better fit.

But maybe I am too high on Sessions?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »
I agree that the Sixers need a PG who can shoot- but if Sessions is going to be a top scoring PG available for the MLE then you should not pass on him.  I think he can really excel in the Princton 2 guard offense- and you can never have enough young talent.  Worst cae you trade a young player in a year or two for a better fit.

But maybe I am too high on Sessions?

Sessions is a very nice player, but not a great shooter or strong defender.  Not a great fit on the team as it is currently constituted, but that is subject to change hopefully.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »
I may be in the minority here, but I think Sessions is a pretty underrated guy, and could really blossom. I'd be pretty excited to sign him.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »
at 23, I'll take the gamble that sessions can improve his shooting.  For the MLE?  I'll take the gamble.

But then again, I don't think this team is one piece away anyway, so I'm not looking for that pg to fit with this team and make us contend.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »
Sessions for the MLE?  Yes, but I think he will get mor than that or stay in Milwaukee.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 09:47:54 PM »
Sessions for the MLE?  Yes, but I think he will get mor than that or stay in Milwaukee.
I believe that he (Sessions) is subjct to the Gilbert Arenas Rule - and cannot get more than the MLE.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »
I believe that he (Sessions) is subjct to the Gilbert Arenas Rule - and cannot get more than the MLE.

Yes, and no.  A team like the Sixers that is capped out can only offer the MLE.  A team with cap space can give a contract that gives him the MLE in the first two years, plus a big raise in the third and subsequent years.  The amount of the increase has to be prorated across the entire contract, hence the need for some current cap space.  Is is fairly complicated, but there are ways he can get more than the MLE in an overall contract this summer.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
Some guys are going to be available for less than market value.  There are only so many teams willing and able to go over the MLE.  Once they fill their shopping cart, the left-overs will have to take the MLE.

I'm hoping Sessions is a left-over...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
Derek, have you gotten around to your pre-draft film study of this year's guards?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »
tk:

I would think that Sessions would be on Portland's radar (feels like just about EVERYBODY is on thier radar), so Sessions can probably get more than the MLE from a good team, so just taking the MLE from a team other than the Bucks may be pretty far down the list.

And Derek, I don't know if I agree that getting the right PG won't be enough to make a difference.  If we - for example - traded Speights to move up into the top 7 (for whoever strikes your fancy there), signed Gortat with the MLE (we may wind up having the same problem here as we have with Sessions), and added a more traditional SG with the biannual exemption (Carney?), I think that is a team that could go deep in 2010-11...assuming that Thad continues to blow up.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on Curry and Holiday.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 12:27:48 AM »
I have a very strong feeling that we are going to hear the name Ty Lawson announced when the Sixers pick, and the more I think about it the less upset I am. He is short, but sturdily built and very quick, takes good care of the ball and can get to the rim.  He improved as a college three point shooter last year, although he only shot 3 of them per game.  Lawson is short and has had attitude problems in the past, but in a thin draft and if we stay at 17, we could do worse.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 10:51:50 AM »
Is it cool for the annual NBA Draft Night discussion to come over here again?? You know RealGM is crashing like always.