Author Topic: NBA Draft Discussion  (Read 58809 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
NBA Draft Discussion
« on: April 01, 2009, 06:14:02 PM »
Maybe I'm just pessimistic right now, but with Thad's injury (I'm not optimistic of a return, at least of a return to the Thad of the last 15 games) I think our chance of stealing around are now slim.  So I'm looking at the season as being 12-14 games.

So, maybe this is premature, but I figured I would start a draft thread.  Seems about the right time, with the tournament ending.  I haven't yet extensively scouted potential draftees, but will once it becomes more obvious who's declaring and the Sixers season ends.

Also, it's looking like I may have a press pass to the draft and the media day before through draftexpress, which should be fun.  I'll try to provide what updates I can if I am there.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Draft Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:04:57 PM »
Maybe we should be looking to replace the guy who's page phillyarena is sponsoring at basketball-reference...

But more seriously, they will go after a PG.  Lots of names, but no one seems a perfect fit.

Waht do you think about Holliday.  They'd have to wait a while for him to be ready to lead the team (maybe 2-3 years) but his story reminds me a lot of Thad, and he should be available where they are picking.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
I want this team to think defense first at PG.  There are no defensively-sound PGs in this draft.  This makes me unhappy.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:05:09 AM »
Good news that Curry is entering the draft (Rubio too.)  The more guys declare the better the player available.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 01:53:04 PM »
No draft talk yet? I figured things would fire up after the final buzzer! Come on! I missd you guys! Hahahaha

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 11:46:45 PM »
A friend from another board and I put this together.  He posted it there, so here it is as it appears there:

This is as of today and will change when more information becomes available. Note that this is what we think will happen, not who we think each team should take, and we're not factoring in any trades. So basically, this is the most "reasonable" pick as we see it right now.

1) Clippers - PF Blake Griffin
2) Grizzlies - PG Ricky Rubio
3) Thunder - C Hasheem Thabeet
4) Kings - PG Brandon Jennings
5) Wizards - SG James Harden
6) Wolves - PG Tyreke Evans
7) Warriors - PF Jordan Hill
8) Knicks - PG Stephen Curry
9) Raptors - SG DeMar DeRozan
10) Bucks - PF DeJuan Blair
11) Nets - SG Gerald Henderson
12) Bobcats - PF James Johnson
13) Pacers - PG Jrue Holliday (although I, winger, said that they should take Terrence Williams here)
14) Suns - SF Earl Clark (we all know they're going to sell this pick, but still...)
15) Pistons - C B.J. Mullens
16) Bulls - SG Terrence Williams
17) Sixers - PG Ty Lawson
18) Wolves - SF Austin Daye
19) Hawks - PG Jonny Flynn
20) Jazz - SG Chase Budinger (bwga)
21) Hornets - PG/SG Jeff Teague (and they give him the Barbosa-like role)
22) Mavs - SF Sam Young
23) Kings - PF Gani Lawal
24) Blazers - PG Eric Maynor (and the Blazers get even more dangerous)
25) Thunder - PF Tyler Hansbrough
26) Bulls - PF Victor Claver (there's always one random foreigner in the late first round, and the Bulls are set basically everywhere)
27) Grizzlies - SF/PF DaJuan Summers
28) Wolves - SG Wayne Ellington
29) Lakers - PG Nick Calathes
30) Cavs - SG Marcus Thornton

This is just a first draft so it will probably change. PGs dropped pretty far but none of the late lottery or mid-teen teams really need a PG, so the Sixers and Blazers luck out.

Thoughts, questions, comments?

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:32:35 AM »
If the draft somehow fell this way, I'd be all over Jonny Flynn in a completely non-sexual way

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »
Ty Lawson coming in to workout friday.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »
The more I look at this draft the more I would like to see the team either move up considerably or package their first round pick with a player or two to get back a young veteran that is a more proven fit for their new system.  I think picking up a second rounder or two in this draft would be more than sufficient to mine for some propsects.  Too many tiny guards, not many great shooters and the big men are all major projects.  I am having a very hard time getting excited about simply sitting there and making a pick at 17.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »
If Buddinger slides I hope they can acquire a late 1st or early 2nd to get him.  He'd be a great value for a shooter who is athletic.  Not ready to use the #17 for him though.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 12:00:33 AM »
Buddinger is the only guy I know who has slid for three straight years.  Everyone thought he was a lottery pick two years ago, until teh draft neared and his stock seemed to drop. Same thing last year, and now that he is finally in the draft it is happening again.  Could be that he is undervalued.  Drop back from 17 to where he belongs and pick up a second rounder in the process, yeah, I could see that.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:22:12 AM »
If they could acquire a PG who is ready now (like maybe Sessions or TJ Ford) then grabbing a shooter in the draft will work.  But the draft comes first, so its a bit risky.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 09:28:51 AM »
I don't want another PG who can't shoot.  I don't think you can play Thad at SF and Iggy at SG without a shooting PG.  Playing Thad and Iggy at the two forward spots will never work long term or in the playoffs for more than one round.  A shooting PG is an absolute necessity along with a wing shooter off the bench.  Otherwise, either Iggy or Thad needs to be moved.  Moving Sammy for a good shooting C would be nice, but I wonder about the D at that point.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »
Skates:

Well, you got your wing shooter off the bench...and the perimeter defense just took ANOTHER hit.

If we do not upgrade our defense at PG, we will have to beat teams 110-105, because we won't be able to stop anybody.  The thought of PG duties being shared by LWill and Lawson/Maynor/Flynn scares the crap out of me - especially now that you have 15-20 minutes of Kapono to cover up for on D.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »
Just imagine a defensive backcourt of Lou and kopono...