Author Topic: Can Sterling destroy the Clipper franchise even more?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Can Sterling destroy the Clipper franchise even more?
« on: March 26, 2009, 01:26:26 PM »
this article says it is possible....

Sources: Thomas, Clippers talk
ESPN.com
Archive
NEW YORK -- Isiah Thomas is actively seeking work again, and he spoke several weeks ago with Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling in a meeting arranged by current coach/general manager Mike Dunleavy, ESPN.com learned Wednesday.

Several NBA sources confirmed the February meeting between the former president and general manager of the New York Knicks, adding that there were follow-up discussions between Thomas and other high-ranking club officials -- but also stressing that no job has been offered.

Discussions between former Knicks GM Isiah Thomas and the Los Angeles Clippers were described by one source as informal yet substantive.
Sterling is said to be considering adding another executive to the Los Angeles front office to alleviate some of Dunleavy's responsibilities in his dual role as coach and general manager. Former Lakers and Grizzlies general manager Jerry West was linked to a possible Clippers front office job before he publicly disavowed any interest.

The discussions between Thomas and the Clippers were described by one source as informal yet substantive. Thomas remains under contract to the Knicks for the remainder of this season and two more, but he has the franchise's permission to seek employment elsewhere. He was fired as Knicks coach and general manager last spring and was replaced by Donnie Walsh in the front office and Mike D'Antoni on the bench.

One source with knowledge of Thomas' thinking said it now appears he has shifted his focus to pursuing a head coaching position at the college level. The same source said Thomas' name was discussed at the highest levels of the Grizzlies organization when Memphis fired Marc Iavaroni earlier this season.

Thomas' stint running the Knicks was as unsuccessful as it was uncomfortable. He hired and then fired Lenny Wilkins and Larry Brown, was a defendant in a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former marketing executive that MSG lost and was the object of taunts, protects and chants from disgruntled fans throughout 2007-08.

He has still not commented publicly on the circumstances surrounding an overdose of sleeping pills that hospitalized him last October, but he has not been keeping a low profile. He was spotted two weeks ago scouting the Pac-10 tournament and told The Associated Press: "I've still been very active, seeing a lot of games and doing a lot of scouting and looking forward to helping Donnie with the draft."

Dunleavy, who also has two more seasons after this one remaining on his contract, has been coach of the Clippers since the start of the 2003-04 season, making him the league's third-most tenured coach behind Utah's Jerry Sloan and San Antonio's Gregg Popovich.

The Clippers' firing of longtime vice president Elgin Baylor earlier this season -- and Baylor's subsequent lawsuit alleging racial discrimination -- has left Dunleavy in a position of unusual strength, and one source insisted that all the recent speculation regarding West and/or Randy Pfund joining the front office was a smoke screen to defray the criticism of the franchise that has arisen since Baylor's lawsuit was filed. Additionally, Clippers brass are said to be pleased with the work of current assistant general manager Neil Olshey, and generally are more concerned with Dunleavy's effectiveness as a coach than as a general manager.

Dunleavy has generally won praise for his salary cap management and his most recent personnel moves such as signing Baron Davis, acquiring Zach Randolph from New York for Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley, drafting Eric Gordon and acquiring roughly $2 million in cash considerations over the course of this season from teams dumping salaries.

Dunleavy's coaching is actually the area where the most justifiable criticism could be directed. The Clippers entered Wednesday night's game against New York 37 games under .500. He has clashed with some Clippers players, most notably Davis and Chris Kaman, although Sterling has been publicly supportive of Dunleavy and overtly critical of his players, most recently when he went on a postgame rant in the locker room after a loss to San Antonio earlier this month.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Can Sterling destroy the Clipper franchise even more?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
this article says it is possible....

Sources: Thomas, Clippers talk
ESPN.com
Archive
NEW YORK -- Isiah Thomas is actively seeking work again, and he spoke several weeks ago with Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling in a meeting arranged by current coach/general manager Mike Dunleavy, ESPN.com learned Wednesday.

Several NBA sources confirmed the February meeting between the former president and general manager of the New York Knicks, adding that there were follow-up discussions between Thomas and other high-ranking club officials -- but also stressing that no job has been offered.

Discussions between former Knicks GM Isiah Thomas and the Los Angeles Clippers were described by one source as informal yet substantive.
Sterling is said to be considering adding another executive to the Los Angeles front office to alleviate some of Dunleavy's responsibilities in his dual role as coach and general manager. Former Lakers and Grizzlies general manager Jerry West was linked to a possible Clippers front office job before he publicly disavowed any interest.

The discussions between Thomas and the Clippers were described by one source as informal yet substantive. Thomas remains under contract to the Knicks for the remainder of this season and two more, but he has the franchise's permission to seek employment elsewhere. He was fired as Knicks coach and general manager last spring and was replaced by Donnie Walsh in the front office and Mike D'Antoni on the bench.

One source with knowledge of Thomas' thinking said it now appears he has shifted his focus to pursuing a head coaching position at the college level. The same source said Thomas' name was discussed at the highest levels of the Grizzlies organization when Memphis fired Marc Iavaroni earlier this season.

Thomas' stint running the Knicks was as unsuccessful as it was uncomfortable. He hired and then fired Lenny Wilkins and Larry Brown, was a defendant in a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former marketing executive that MSG lost and was the object of taunts, protects and chants from disgruntled fans throughout 2007-08.

He has still not commented publicly on the circumstances surrounding an overdose of sleeping pills that hospitalized him last October, but he has not been keeping a low profile. He was spotted two weeks ago scouting the Pac-10 tournament and told The Associated Press: "I've still been very active, seeing a lot of games and doing a lot of scouting and looking forward to helping Donnie with the draft."

Dunleavy, who also has two more seasons after this one remaining on his contract, has been coach of the Clippers since the start of the 2003-04 season, making him the league's third-most tenured coach behind Utah's Jerry Sloan and San Antonio's Gregg Popovich.

The Clippers' firing of longtime vice president Elgin Baylor earlier this season -- and Baylor's subsequent lawsuit alleging racial discrimination -- has left Dunleavy in a position of unusual strength, and one source insisted that all the recent speculation regarding West and/or Randy Pfund joining the front office was a smoke screen to defray the criticism of the franchise that has arisen since Baylor's lawsuit was filed. Additionally, Clippers brass are said to be pleased with the work of current assistant general manager Neil Olshey, and generally are more concerned with Dunleavy's effectiveness as a coach than as a general manager.

Dunleavy has generally won praise for his salary cap management and his most recent personnel moves such as signing Baron Davis, acquiring Zach Randolph from New York for Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley, drafting Eric Gordon and acquiring roughly $2 million in cash considerations over the course of this season from teams dumping salaries.

Dunleavy's coaching is actually the area where the most justifiable criticism could be directed. The Clippers entered Wednesday night's game against New York 37 games under .500. He has clashed with some Clippers players, most notably Davis and Chris Kaman, although Sterling has been publicly supportive of Dunleavy and overtly critical of his players, most recently when he went on a postgame rant in the locker room after a loss to San Antonio earlier this month.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

F#&K
F#&K
F#&K
F#&K
F#&K
F#&K
F#&K
F#&K
F#&K

I put a deposit down on season tickets last week because I was told there was going to be a change in Dunleavy's role for the Clippers.  Technically I was NOT lied to but if they hire Isiah I will ask for my deposit back.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:53:57 AM »
You know, WayOut, as it stands, your record as a GM and Coach in Fantasy Basketball is significantly better than Dunleavy's or Thomas's as a GM.  You've actually led a team to the playoffs.  Perhaps you should apply.  It looks like they'll take anyone.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:47:16 AM »
You know, WayOut, as it stands, your record as a GM and Coach in Fantasy Basketball is significantly better than Dunleavy's or Thomas's as a GM.  You've actually led a team to the playoffs.  Perhaps you should apply.  It looks like they'll take anyone.

I don't know Joe, my recent history was a little Gasol-esque, I got taken for a great SF/PF and kinda ruined my shot at a title this year. :(
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 11:05:19 AM »
Fact is that I didn't like Jefferson all that much in the first place, and when he went down, I was dead set that I didn't want to risk that he doesn't make a full comeback.  And you DO like Jefferson, and if he DOES make a comeback, a Gasol/Jefferson front-court will be awesome for you.  In the meantime, I'll be coming in with Ginobilli/Jamison, and while it's not as potent a combo as yours, it is complementary.  We both go into next season with a team that already has a strength built in.  Had I gone in with Ginobilli/Jefferson, and you with Gasol/Jamison, I don't think EITHER of us would be in as good of a position.

But to get a Jefferson, you were going to have to give up something;  I was hoping it would be enough to keep me in the playoff picture.  It wasn't.  <shrug>

My other option would be to try to trade Duncan - an expiring contract - for Jason Kidd and/or Caron Butler, and tank the season...which I think is deplorable.  Like I've always said - I believe in win now now, win later later.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
Dunleavy has "generally won praise" for acquiring Zach Randolph?   I must have different definititions of "generally" and "praise".   

As far as a possible hiring of Thomas goes, I would assume that's some sort of April Fool's joke if it wasn't the Clippers.   

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
WOW, if you get those season tickets, be sure not to sit too close to Thomas. I hear he gets very touchy, feely.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."