Author Topic: SuperManu: No pain after 1st game back  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
SuperManu: No pain after 1st game back
« on: March 26, 2009, 01:14:12 AM »
This years title may not need an asterik by it afterall, as the decades top 5 shooting guard is reporting no pain after his initial game back vs the ATL.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SuperManu: No pain after 1st game back
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
Timmy Dunks admits he is biased but nonetheless thinks Parker should get some MVP votes.
For all you squakers (JoeV, etc) who say Parker would not get the numbers he does were he to be on a non contending team, you're wrong.  With Dunkan out, once again Parker excells doing 42/10 vs Atlanta.

ATLANTA --When Tim Duncan is resting his ailing knee and Manu Ginobili is fighting his way through a 1-for-7 shooting night in his first game in six weeks, it sure helps to have Tony Parker.

Parker was brilliant Wednesday night with 42 points and 10 assists, helping the Spurs solve their recent struggles closing out games in a 102-92 victory over the Hawks. Parker's performance was so good, it prompted Duncan to say he deserves to at least be in the top five on voters' MVP ballots in a few weeks.

"I think absolutely," said Duncan, a two-time MVP. "Of course I'm biased, obviously. But with the position that we're in -- second or seventh in the West, however many games it can switch -- we're right in the mix with that. The amount of injuries we've been dealing with all year ... he's keeping this team consistent. He's been the consistent one all year long. Absolutely, he should be at least given an opportunity to be one of those top five."

It was the second-highest scoring game of Parker's career, after the 55 points against Minnesota in double overtime back in November. (For the record, he had 42 in regulation in that game.)

When Parker had 55 points and 10 assists in a 129-125 victory over the Timberwolves on Nov. 5, he stopped San Antonio from suffering its first 0-4 start since 1973. I'm detecting a theme. When the Spurs are in trouble, Parker comes to the rescue.

"He was unstoppable," said Ginobili, who had only two points on 1-for-7 shooting in 14:02, his first appearance after missing 19 games with a stress reaction in his right ankle. "But at the same time, he was really good playing defense. And there was a stretch where he found Roger (Mason), (Michael Finley), Matt (Bonner) on the roll, and they didn?t know what to do. He was the reason that we won this game."

Parker is the reason the Spurs win a lot of games. But they know they're not going anywhere if they don't get Ginobili and Duncan 100 percent -- or close to it -- before the playoffs begin.

"We always have a good shot," Ginobili said. "The thing is, if we're not healthy, we won't."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SuperManu: No pain after 1st game back
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:48:26 PM »
For all you squakers (JoeV, etc) who say Parker would not get the numbers he does were he to be on a non contending team, you're wrong.

I'll tell you what, I've never been a Parker fan.  I've always thought he used his physical strength as well as any player I've ever seen, and made the most out of a game with some fundamental flaws and that was about it.  He's an efficient scoring guard and very coachable (or at least Pop molded him that way), but as a distributing PG was poor.  As a floor leader, I've always thought he severely lacked and (usually) wisely deferred to Duncan or Ginobili. 

But I'll tell you what!  I'll give it up for Tony Parker this season.  His performance this season, especially in light of injuries to Ginobili and Duncan, has been incredible.  I think this is the best season he has ever had, near 11 apg his past 3 games, and 8 apg over the last month, 80% from the stripe, not to mention the scoring outbursts where he is carrying a huge load, Parker has taken his game to another level.  At 27, entering his prime, he's really coming into his own.  If Duncan and Ginobili are at full strength and Parker keeps it up at this level, I think they'll give the Lakers a run for their money.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:50:06 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."