Author Topic: Should this team zone up more?  (Read 4297 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Should this team zone up more?
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
It seems we have the personnel to run a fairly effective zone, and since we seemingly can't play man-to-man, I'm wondering why we don't go to it more.  Both Dalembert and Speights would make good zone anchors.  We have the athletes to make it work on the perimeter (Williams, Ivey, Iguodala, Young, and arguably Green).  I know zones aren't great in the NBA, but considering we're not great at man, why not try?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should this team zone up more?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:20:33 PM »
That seems very rational to me.  With their speed and quickness, they should be able to make an effective zone defense.  At the very least it will help their learning curve to see how other teams attack a zone.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
They want to get TO's and the zone is probably not the best defense for that.  Maybe some kind of trapping zne would work for them.  But in some ways I think its harder in the NBA to be a really good zone D then play man to man at a high level.  You zone up more to mask problems or dare a team to shoot.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 05:04:47 AM »
You zone up because you don't have the footspeed to deny dribble penetration.  That's not our main problem.  This team would get eaten alive by the long ball if they played more zone.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 10:03:46 AM »
This team gets eaten alive from beyond the arc as it is. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »
You zone up because you don't have the footspeed to deny dribble penetration.  That's not our main problem.  This team would get eaten alive by the long ball if they played more zone.

I'd argue that it depends on the type of zone.  I'd also argue that when Andre Miller is on the floor, that is our main problem.  He can't stay in front of anybody, and that leads to kickouts to open men when we collapse.

I decided to look up some zone defenses, and I think this kind of zone would be very effective:

http://www.jes-soft.com/playbook/pla1-3-1halfcourttrap.html

I think we could play this very effectively if we replaced Green with Ivey in the starting lineup and if Samuel Dalembert had any brains whatsoever.  Ivey and Iguodala could play on the wings, and their length would be very effective in trapping.  Thad's length, speed, and quickness, as well as his ability to deny the post when he needs to would be perfect to play the middle.  I think it would work better with Speights instead of Dalembert as the post man simply because Dalembert is dumb as rocks, but both are fast, long, and athletic, and even Evans could play as the 5 in this scheme.  I think it would take advantage of our length, quickness, and athleticism, which we really NEVER do on defense other than when Ivey and Evans try their fullcourt trap stuff.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 06:05:56 PM »

It is a double whammy, we already get eaten alive from byond the arc, plus out PG does not have the footspeed to prevent dribble penetration.  The more I watch this team, the more I become convinced that Andre Miller's skills make the team look better then it is at times, but that his weaknesses in three point shooting and defense against other PG's make him far more incompatible with what this team is trying to be then Elton Brand will ever be if he comes back healthy.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »
It is a double whammy, we already get eaten alive from byond the arc, plus out PG does not have the footspeed to prevent dribble penetration.  The more I watch this team, the more I become convinced that Andre Miller's skills make the team look better then it is at times, but that his weaknesses in three point shooting and defense against other PG's make him far more incompatible with what this team is trying to be then Elton Brand will ever be if he comes back healthy.

I've been trying to explain this to my brother for months.  As good as Andre Miller is on offense (which is actually highly questionable at times when he forgets that he's a PG), he KILLS us on defense.  Ever notice how most of our big comeback runs come with him on the bench?  There's a reason.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »
So, uh, is it just me, or have we been trapping like crazy tonight?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 10:32:16 PM »
Thad has been on a great run recently.  Hopefully he closes out the year like this. 20.4 per game the last 10.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 12:25:26 AM »
It would be virtually impossible to play a 1-3-1 with the NBA's illegal defense rules.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:32:43 AM »
I don't know about zone, but we should definitely play the Sacramento Kings more.   ;D

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »
Thad has been on a great run recently.  Hopefully he closes out the year like this. 20.4 per game the last 10.

Yeah, I thought I heard Zumoff mention something about him averaging 22ppg over his last 8 or 9.... and you have to like when he's turning it up as we head down the stretch of the season chasing Miami for the 5 seed. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 10:43:30 AM »

Yeah, I thought I heard Zumoff mention something about him averaging 22ppg over his last 8 or 9.... and you have to like when he's turning it up as we head down the stretch of the season chasing Miami for the 5 seed. 

Most big time players break out by their third year in the league, although with all of the recent high schoolers and one and dones, that might be a little outdated, but I like seeing Thad going so strong down the stretch of his second year.  I definitely want to see him at SF next year though.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 11:13:36 AM »
I remember a game a month or so ago, maybe even a little longer, where I saw Thad throw down a dunk emphatically for the first time I could remember, and had one of those "eyes popping out of my face" moments.  He's definitely gotten WAY more aggressive with the ball, that's for sure.