Author Topic: Sixer vs. Golden State, the road trip continues.  (Read 3438 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixer vs. Golden State, the road trip continues.
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
So and 1 and 1 with an impressive come from behind win against the Lakers and a respectable, but unsuccessful showing in Phoenix.  If someone had told me we would have split the first two, this isn't the way I expected it, but I'm more than happy. 

The big thing now is the rest of the road trip and our record, 2 games above .500, 1.5 behind Miami and 5.5 behind Atlanta with 16 games left.  We now have Golden State, Sacramento and Portland.  Unfortunately, the Sixers get screwed on the schedule again and Portland will be the 2nd game of a back to back. We do get a gimme tonight, as Golden State played and lost to the Lakers last night.

It would be great if we could win the remaining three games.  The Sixers have two primary objectives heading into the playoffs. 1. Secure the 5th or 4th spot in the EC playoffs and 2. Develop a reliable half court offense centered around Speights for times when the offense gets stuck. The first is desireable to maimize the Sixers playoff experience, and a greatly increased chance of getting to the 2nd round.  The second is needed to make the most of our playoff experience. In reality, the team is little better than last season at this point, only the addition of Marshall and Speights and Ivey have had impact. That, and siginificantly improved play from Thad Young.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Sixer vs. Golden State, the road trip continues.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »
I love Speights and think he is going to be a very good player, but he is pretty far removed from being the center of any offense.  I will be happy to see him push through the rokkie wall and finish the season strong.  Assuming he is not involved in a trade this offseason, I expect to see a break-out type year from him next year if he works on his game and body enough this summer.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »
Well, Crawford hasn't been playing for GS, much to my disappointment since I got him in a fantasy trade centered around a deal for Dwight Howard (damn it, TK), so that's one offensive threat we can cross off. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:23:01 PM »
BTW, Sessions has cooled off considerably.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 07:56:09 PM »
I love Speights and think he is going to be a very good player, but he is pretty far removed from being the center of any offense.  I will be happy to see him push through the rokkie wall and finish the season strong.  Assuming he is not involved in a trade this offseason, I expect to see a break-out type year from him next year if he works on his game and body enough this summer.

Nothing messes up a defense faster than someone who can set up camp just outside the lane and catch a pass.  If he is a threat to score, he usually draws 2 defenders, which in turn opens up an outside shot or an open lane to the basket.  It is this dimension to basketball that the Sixers lack, a commanding inside presence.  Speights has demonstrated the ability to score inside and has above average quickness for a big man. He obviously needs more strength to establish himself, but that comes with experience and learning how to use what he has to his advantage.  He also sees the floor well and has the capacity to handle the ball and pass.

Giving the Sixers an inside-outside game is what they need, and without Brand, Speights is the only one who can provide that inside piece. Without that inside-outside game they are too vulnerable to what defenses throw at them.  If all the Sixers are is a one on one, fastbreak and pick and roll team, they're not going to be good enough to win in the playoffs.  You can't live off of defensive turnovers when the other team executes properly.  You have to be able to out-execute them and capitalize on their mistakes.

It's the difference between a contending team and an also ran.  We have other weaknesses, but this is the most glaring one now. We need a go to guy besides Iguodala, and while Young, Miller and Williams can all provide support, none of them have the height to be an inside presence.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 08:29:51 AM »

Nothing messes up a defense faster than someone who can set up camp just outside the lane and catch a pass.  If he is a threat to score, he usually draws 2 defenders, which in turn opens up an outside shot or an open lane to the basket.  It is this dimension to basketball that the Sixers lack, a commanding inside presence.  Speights has demonstrated the ability to score inside and has above average quickness for a big man. He obviously needs more strength to establish himself, but that comes with experience and learning how to use what he has to his advantage.  He also sees the floor well and has the capacity to handle the ball and pass.

Giving the Sixers an inside-outside game is what they need, and without Brand, Speights is the only one who can provide that inside piece. Without that inside-outside game they are too vulnerable to what defenses throw at them.  If all the Sixers are is a one on one, fastbreak and pick and roll team, they're not going to be good enough to win in the playoffs.  You can't live off of defensive turnovers when the other team executes properly.  You have to be able to out-execute them and capitalize on their mistakes.

It's the difference between a contending team and an also ran.  We have other weaknesses, but this is the most glaring one now. We need a go to guy besides Iguodala, and while Young, Miller and Williams can all provide support, none of them have the height to be an inside presence.

Rick-

While I can appreciate your obvious passion for Speights, I can't quite get my head around why you think he's SUCH a huge piece to our puzzle at the moment. 

I like the guy.  I think he has some nice offensive talent.  I love his energy (on nights he decides to bring some).  But if you recall, in the beginning of the season as most here were complaining about his (lack of) minutes...I reminded you that he was a rookie, coming off a comparatively easy and short college season.  I said he risked getting burned out if played too many minutes.

It's hard to maintain that kind of fire over an 82 game season.  The games are longer...the travel mind-numbing.  Frankly, this wall he's hit is no surprise at all.  It's to be expected.

And just as too many minutes for the kid (any kid) is dangerous...expecting too much from him on the court is as well.  Let him mature and become comfortable before revolving your entire offense around the guy.  He'll be fine...pretty good even...soon enough.  For now he is what he is: a largely inconsistent (albeit exciting and talented) 21 year old.  He is not remotely as effective defensively as Sam...not as good down low as Theo...doesn't possess the outside shot as Donyell...and not nearly as fierce on the boards as is Reggie.  Add all that up and you get a real nice, 15 MPG bench player.

Nothing more.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 01:03:26 PM »
I don't think you appreciate how good a player Speights is.  He has the highest PER of any Sixer.  As objective measures of a players production go, PER is one of the best, and the best players have the highest PER score.

He hasn't hit a wall, last night in 18 min. he scored 10 pts on 5 of 9 with 3 boards and a block. Assuming that he can maintain that PER playing more minutes, he projects to score 20 pts and more than 6 boards in 30 min.  There is no reason to think that he can't play at that level until you see how he reacts.

He has the highest PER of any rookie, and if he was playing starter minutes he'd be a ROY candidate.

So in spite of his mistakes and limitations as a player, he's far more productive than Sam, Reggie, Donyell or Theo. And, he's only going to get better with experience.

The best way to improve a player is to play him an evaluate the weaknesses you see.  You can't see the weaknesses unless you play him, and then teach him how to correct his play. The more things you ask him to do, the more you see what he can and can't do, and you can also see how fast he learns from your instruction when he plays.

What you don't want to acknowledge is that every player should earn their minutes based on how they produce.  Players who score more points on fewer shots, in fewer minutes, and get more rebounds and more blocks and more steals deserve the playing time.  Speights by his play DESERVES more minutes than any other player on the team!

I'm not worried about him burning out. He is excelling in the minutes he's given now, and the next step is to see for how long in a game he can produce at that level. We're talking about a 20 and 10 power forward here, exactly what the Sixers were hoping to acquire when they traded for Elton Brand. He fills a need the Sixers have and should be used in that role to the extent that he is capable. He projects to be an all-star in the NBA and was a real steal in the draft.

Offline tk76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 02:02:45 PM »
I'm a big fan of Speights, but if there was a "PER" stat for defense his rating would be ugly.

I wish they had used Speights more since Brand went down, and even tried him out as a starter, but thet boat sailed a while ago.  At this point they are limping along with a few other cripple fighting for 5th seed in the (L)east, and Speights is struggling mightily defending anyone. 

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 10:00:51 AM »
he's far more productive than Sam, Reggie, Donyell or Theo

We'll agree to disagree.  Since I rate offense at about 30-35% of a basketball player's total make-up (ie. skill set, responsibility, expectation)...and you seemingly rate it at 100%...we'll never see eye to eye.

But I can tell you that basketball people (ie. those in the Sixers organization) probably adhere to my ratio more-so than to yours - hence Speights' alleged unacceptable playing time.  There are 80 skills he needs to possess; you are obsessed with, like,  2.

He will slowly improve...and slowly - and appropriately - be afforded more minutes.  Until then I reserve the right to become excited by his occasional outbursts of exciting play...and get frustrated by his more frequent lapses which often hurt this team.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 10:24:12 AM »
By your way of thinking, Amare Stoudamire would still be on the bench because he can't play defense either!  Since winning is based on who scores more, it's a big mistake to focus so much on defense.

You can win by scoring more than another team can or by scoring and defending to keep the other team from scoring.

If the Sixers prefer to win by defense, then why do we have a point guard that can't cover anyone in the open floor, or stay in front of in the half court?  Why do we insist on playing a 3 at the 4 spot where he's undersized and unable to keep his man off the boads?

All rookies need some work or development to get better.  It took MJ several years to get the point where he could win a championship.

But you don't learn how to play good defense on the bench.  You learn it by playing in games, making mistakes and being corrected.  There are two components here, a good apt pupil and capable teachers.

A good teacher notices when one of his students excels, and gives him a chance to contribute.  DiLeo should be playing Speights more that he isn't is not an indication of good coaching, it's an indication of short-sightedenss and incompetance.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »
By your way of thinking, Amare Stoudamire would still be on the bench because he can't play defense either!  Since winning is based on who scores more, it's a big mistake to focus so much on defense.

I didn't say that defense made up the balance of the 100%.  It, too, makes up only a portion.

You can win by scoring more than another team can or by scoring and defending to keep the other team from scoring.

Thank you for that quick lesson.  But maybe you should have expanded it to say, "...and defending to keep the other team from scoring assuming you have the pieces to that puzzle.  The Sixers don't.  And so - since so many opponents seem to get to our bucket with ease - we need a strong last-line of defense.  Speights does not provide that".

If the Sixers prefer to win by defense, then why do we have a point guard that can't cover anyone in the open floor, or stay in front of in the half court? 

I didn't say they "prefer to win by defense", I said they recognize that Speights is a liability on defense.  And in his case - we have better options.  At the PG we don't.

All rookies need some work or development to get better.  It took MJ several years to get the point where he could win a championship.

If it took MJ so long to "get to that point"...imagine how long it'll take Speights.  As I say.......patience.

But you don't learn how to play good defense on the bench.  You learn it by playing in games, making mistakes and being corrected.  There are two components here, a good apt pupil and capable teachers.

a-  Of course you can learn from the bench. 
b-  Another way to learn is during games; playing minutes, yes.  And currently Speights does, in fact, play in games.  There is a balance between doing what's best for the team (winning; getting to the playoffs) and improving a future player.  He's being handled correctly.