Author Topic: OT - Slingshot Hip Hop  (Read 1202 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT - Slingshot Hip Hop
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:42:49 PM »
Documentary about Palestinian rap and hip hop movement.

It was wicked!  Reminds me of Public Enemy, BDP, and Rage Against the Machine.  Their music and production are not top notch but their lyrics are second to none.  Too bad I can't sing along but I was reading the sub-titles and I was very impressed, hyped is more like it.  Great show, you guys need to check it out.

One thing that is tougher for these guys than it was for blacks in the US, they have to fight a battle on both sides.  They are trying to rebel against the establishment but at the same time the people they represent are mixed about supporting them.  You have guys dressing like hip-hop kids in the US and you have girls/women with a strong presence on the scene.  One really good female preformer did not sing/rap with her group because her family was worried about the backlash from friends/family/strangers to a "female" performer.  While I admire their "struggle" I can't help but think that their culture, as physco and back-assward as some parts of it can be, is being "subverted" with this "American Hip Hop".
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - Slingshot Hip Hop
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:45:13 PM »
The biggest mistake the Jews made was to separate themselves from the Palestinians.  Everyone wants to "fit in".  Amazing that hip-hop is striking a chord with Arabs.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
I've interviewed guys from overseas about their music and it is VERY interesting.  In American hip hop it sounds like there is constant violence and people getting shot every minute.  In some of these areas overseas that really is happening.  They have very interesting stories and the words are deep (when translated right).

Granted there is wack overseas rappers. Around here we call them  Tony Parker  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WuEJX3Ty9s
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:36:51 AM »
I've interviewed guys from overseas about their music and it is VERY interesting.  In American hip hop it sounds like there is constant violence and people getting shot every minute.  In some of these areas overseas that really is happening.  They have very interesting stories and the words are deep (when translated right).

Granted there is wack overseas rappers. Around here we call them  Tony Parker  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WuEJX3Ty9s

man that was below the belt.... :-X

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.