Author Topic: Gooden  (Read 3532 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Gooden
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »
So I did not catch the last game, but I did read that drew played 15 minutes and scored 13 points and grabbed 4 boards.  not a bad sign IMO.  this will really help tim get rest during games.

TP is still doing very wll 28 pts, 8 assists and 4 boards.  Very happy with his effort for this team.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gooden
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:07:31 AM »
Duncan said it was great to have some offensive help in the post.
Added he thought the last time the Spurs ran a post play for anyone other then him was DRob.

We still don't know if it was a wise move tho.
Pops-Mensa-Bootay going for 21/8 in 22 minutes last night!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:21:27 AM »

Just like you were told he would?  Imagine that.

I guess that answers your question of what Gooden can do  over Kurt Thomas.

Owned.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:29:21 AM »
Added he thought the last time the Spurs ran a post play for anyone other then him was DRob.

Reality alert!  Reality alert!

Tim's quote was that they hadn't run a post play for another player THIS YEAR.

Tim said the last time he had a that quality of a big was Robinson.

But then that doesn't fit Reality's world so he changes the wording.    ::)

Maybe if I post the article for everyone to read they can see which interpretation is closer...

Gooden plenty for Spurs?

By Jeff McDonald - Express-News OKLAHOMA CITY ? Drew Gooden still has a lasting souvenir from the 15 whirlwind days he spent employed by the Sacramento Kings.

?I've still got a couple of playbooks left I ain't never returned,? Gooden said.

He could use them for bathroom reading. Or, had he recently moved to climes colder than South Texas, kindling. He could sell them on eBay to other Western Conference teams, but it's not like anybody needs a crib sheet to beat the Kings these days.

Gooden has no use for his Sacramento mementos anymore. Now that he's joined the Spurs, and is living out of a suitcase, they are extra baggage he doesn't need.

Signed March 5 after the Kings bought out his contract ? which came barely two weeks after he was traded to Sacramento from Chicago ? Gooden is just trying to figure out which end of his newest new playbook is up. Tonight's game at Oklahoma City will mark just his third in a Spurs uniform.

?I feel comfortable, considering I had to learn two systems in a week and a half,? Gooden said.

The Spurs signed the 6-foot-10 Gooden, and gave him every penny left in their budget ? roughly $1.41 million for the rest of the season ? in hopes that he could be the missing piece to catapult them past the Lakers in the Western Conference playoffs.

It is too early to tell if that money was well-spent, but so far Gooden has provided the Spurs with some positive signs.

In Saturday night's victory at Houston, his second with the Spurs, Gooden played a shade over 15 minutes in reserve and scored 13 points. His presence in that game afforded the Spurs something they haven't had in a long while: A post-up threat when Tim Duncan goes to the bench.

?This is probably the first time we've called a post-up play for someone other than myself,? Duncan said.

Duncan doesn't hesitate when asked how long it's been since the Spurs have had another player with that capability.

?Not since David, probably,? Duncan said.

Let the record show that David Robinson retired in 2003.

Unlike Robinson, Gooden is not on his way to the Hall of Fame any time soon. He does, however, provide something that the Rasho Nesterovics, Nazr Mohammeds and Francisco Elsons of the world could not.

Scouts have wondered about Gooden's basketball IQ, a reason he has played for six teams in seven years. Had he kept all his playbooks from his previous stops, Gooden could start a Time-Life series.

And he continues to be injury prone, as the giant bag of ice resting on his sore groin after Saturday's game will attest.

Still, the Spurs believe Gooden, once comfortable in his new surroundings, can fill a long-standing void in terms of rebounding and low-post scoring.

?He adds some girth and some meat out there,? Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. ?He's going to be a good addition for us.?

For now, Gooden could use some time to catch his breath. It has been a bizarre season and a head-spinning month.

?Fortunately, I'm not married, and I don't have any kids,? Gooden said. ?I'm like a vagabond. I can just pick up my stuff and go to the next city.?

As he begins to get settled in San Antonio, Gooden is hoping he won't have to move again for some time. At 28, his goal with the Spurs is to be more than just a stretch-run mercenary.

The last thing Gooden wants is to add another unnecessary NBA playbook to his growing collection.

?I was looking for something long-term,? Gooden said. ?It's not where I just wanted to get in a winning situation and leave during the offseason. I wanted to find a home.?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:32:27 AM »

Owned.

yes, OLD Drew Gooden.... :P
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »

Owned.
No no B-Rad.  Your mantra has always been the Spurs win with defense, and defense alone.
And a 1 game sample answers all.  :D :D
Kurt Thomas would have filled in a nice role last year in a Championship journey were it not for Popped.
koast *owned*.  Now all thats needed is a W.O.W. certification.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:56:36 AM »
Lurker please post the exact quotes from the article that support your claim that Duncan was talking about "this year" only.  ::)

I'll grab a Snickers bar.
In Saturday night's victory at Houston, his second with the Spurs, Gooden played a shade over 15 minutes in reserve and scored 13 points. His presence in that game afforded the Spurs something they haven't had in a long while: A post-up threat when Tim Duncan goes to the bench.

"This is probably the first time we've called a post-up play for someone other than myself," Duncan said.

Duncan doesn't hesitate when asked how long it's been since the Spurs have had another player with that capability.
"Not since David, probably," Duncan said.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »
Lurker please post the exact quotes from the article that support your claim that Duncan was talking about "this year" only.  ::)

"This is probably the first time we've called a post-up play for someone other than myself," Duncan said.

Read what you highlighted...and where does it say that it was the first postup play called since 2003?

I sure hope that California can use the stimulus money to improve the teaching of reading comprehension.  It would be a real shame to have another whole generation of Californians who cannot understand a simple 4 sentence passage.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 12:59:37 PM »

Owned.
No no B-Rad.  Your mantra has always been the Spurs win with defense, and defense alone.
And a 1 game sample answers all.  :D :D
Kurt Thomas would have filled in a nice role last year in a Championship journey were it not for Popped.
koast *owned*.  Now all thats needed is a W.O.W. certification.

Never once have I said they win on defense alone.  You do have to score points in this league.  Why are you so dense?

However, the Spurs are a successful team because of defense.  They have  and will continue to be a contender because of defense.  This team is a defensive team.  The whole reason you are on their bandwagon (because they are winners) is due to that.

Kurt Thomas cannot provide what Gooden can.  That was the original point.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »

We still don't know if it was a wise move tho.
Pops-Mensa-Bootay going for 21/8 in 22 minutes last night!

That 20 something OLD Gooden? LOL! 20ish is OLD!!!!

OWNED!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 02:14:57 PM »

Burden of proofs on you.

Read what you highlighted...and where does it say that it was the first postup play called since 2003?

I sure hope that California can use the stimulus money to improve the teaching of reading comprehension.  It would be a real shame to have another whole generation of Californians who cannot understand a simple 4 sentence passage.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 02:29:24 PM »

Burden of proofs on you.

First...I am not sure if you added anything.  But I can have my 6 year old grandson show you how to use the quote feature if you want.

Second...There was 2 questions.  One about running post up plays in the game just completed. (Duncan answers that it was the first one this year not for him).  And then a second question about the quality of big men. (Duncan says not since Robinson).  The same 6 year old can explain this to you while teaching you to use the quote feature.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »
I'm willing to let non Lakers Skandery and zig discern the intent of Duncans comments.
Sound okay to you?  Or is that threatening your 6 year old cousin who advises you?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 04:27:59 PM »
I'm willing to let non Lakers Skandery and zig discern the intent of Duncans comments.
Sound okay to you?  Or is that threatening your 6 year old cousin who advises you?

your 6 year old cousin

cousin

But I can have my 6 year old grandson show you how to use the quote feature if you want.

And I will let you continue to display your total lack of reading comprehension.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 04:42:05 PM »
cousin and grandson are the same in Texas.  ;)