Author Topic: Philly vs. Orlando 2/28/2009  (Read 3707 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Philly vs. Orlando 2/28/2009
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:03:21 AM »
Two wins against two bad teams is nothing to be proud of.  This team lost a couple of games to other teams they should have beaten.  If they had done so, they could already be climbing up the standings. None of the teams right ahead of them in the EC have done anything but play .500 ball.

Miami is only 1 game ahead in the 5 spot and Atlanta is 3 and a half games ahead with 25 games left. Orlando is probably too far ahead to catch, especially with the Sixers playing like they have.

This game is significant only because Orlando has already beaten the Sixers three times, and this is their last game together this season unless they meet in the playoffs.

The Sixers should end up in the 4th spot, but they aren't playing up to expectations.  I'm still waiting for the coaches to get a clue about the lineup and waiting for them to explain why when Speights and Evans play, Reggie gets all the balls in the post.  You really want Reggie taking shots and shooting free throws?  No wonder this team losses ground when he's in the game!

I'm still waiting for the team to develop Speights low-post game.  There are only 25 games left and if the Sixers are going to make any kind of run, they will need inside scoring integrated into their half-court offense. That's not something that can happen overnight or suddenly in the playoffs.  They need to work on that during the regular season, so that they can be ready for the playoffs.

It's not just Speights either.  The Sixers need Thad Young to put up more points on a nightly basis along with Lou Williams or Willie.  This team has a chance to be very good with this group if the younger players can develop a little faster. It's important that they step up, since teams have figured out the way to stop the Sixers is to stop Andre Iguodala. Everytime he gets the ball, he gets double and triple teamed. It should result in a pass over the top for an easy basket, and not a turnover.  The Sixers need someone for Andre to throw the ball to in those situations...

The team is still a little deficient when it comes to coaching.  They are slow to figure out how to adjust to what other teams are doing, and how to counteract that with their line-up. They don't seem to have a plan of attack, as to how they will exploit the other teams weaknesses. Their defensive schemes only work when they are pressing and trying to force turnovers.  The rest of the time, other teams seem to slice through them. A lot of that has to do with the Sixers taking and missing bad shots. They still take a few quick ones a game-right when they need a bucket to get a more solid lead, they throw up an undisciplined, unwarranted shot.

If the could cut down a bit on their mistakes, blowing easy buckets because they hurry too much, they would win a few more of the close games they've been in. I hope they figured out it's easier to win games if they aren't too close at the end.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Philly vs. Orlando 2/28/2009
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:23:51 PM »
What's up with that 4th qtr?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:38:51 PM »
Well, that was depressing.

Was at the game wearing my bdawk jersey in protest.  sad, sad day.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:19:39 AM »
The Sixers would be the best team in the NBA if there was no 3 point line.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:21:42 AM »
They would be a better team if they had some guts.  Orlando makes a couple of shots and theirs start to shrivel up like raisins!

Dilieo wears dresses in his spare time, that's the only explanation I can come up with.

They did everything they needed to do to win the game, and even got Dwight Howard fouled out.  Yet the only player that might have been able to get them the baskets they need at the end was on the bench.  Why was Speights on the bench at the end of the game, because the coaching staff deserves to get fired.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:31:14 AM »
Why was Speights on the bench at the end of the game, because the coaching staff deserves to get fired.

Unfortunately for him (and us), he sucked when he was in.  But I do believe there's a happy medium when it comes to his minutes.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
Orlando was on the road on the back end of 4 games in 5 nights.  That was why the Sixers could have won.  The fact they did not is just more proof of how far this team is from being good.  They are to Orlando (who is not quite a top contender) what the Knicks/Wiz are to the Sixers.  The sweeps are proof.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »
Explaination for the blown defense leading to full court inbounds pass for easy layup (and essential game sealer)?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 04:53:56 PM »
Um...because they had to steal the ball?

Pretty obvious.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
The Orlando sweep of Philly shows how far this team has to go.  Admittedly they match up poorly, but the Sixers have played some inspired ball against them and still came up short.

I think they played better last night then in their recent ugl wins, but it does not matter when you are giving up a net 20+ points per game deficit from three )last nt 45-15 pts.)  The Sixers shot well, defended Howard and for the most part denied Lewis and Turk open looks.

But part of being good is that you can beat lesser teams even when they are on their came.  The Sixers can only do that against the likes of Washington and NY.

I was much higher on this team last Spring.  Now its hard to fathom how they build this team into a contender in the next 3+ years.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »
Um...because they had to steal the ball?

Pretty obvious.
Down 102-100 with 17 tics left and they had to get a steal?  No.

And the best way to go for a steal when the oppenent has to go fullcourt is to put all 5 guys in the frontcourt, blitz and leave the opponents one guy wideassed open upcourt uncovered for the easy touchdown lob?   No.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 09:48:24 AM »
Waht you're arguing over was a coaching mistake.  Dileo took his big man out and subbed in a guard.  No one told the layers which man they should be guarding.  Just another example of why the Sixers  blow games they shouldn't.  The coaching staff makes stupid mistakes managing the game.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
I was much higher on this team last Spring.  Now its hard to fathom how they build this team into a contender in the next 3+ years.

Yet, look how well this team played in that 14-4 streak.  The big difference for this team, shooting, shooting, shooting.  When Ivey and the rest went on that binge of nailing three pointers the team was incredibly hard to beat.  I am still optimisitic for next year, although the PG situation scares me some.  We get two shooting big men back in Smith and Brand, with Brand being two years removed from the achilles, and I bet he slims down even more as well.  They absolutely know they have to add shooting and a young PG, plus sign a PG for the immediate future.  I use Lou Williams as trade bait.  Our drafts have been productive, so I see us getting a player there, probably a young PG unless we trade for one.  Everyone needs to work on shooting the three, don't be surprised if both Smith and Speights can hit it with regularity by next year, plus I expect Thad and Iggy to be more consistent. 

OK, that was my burst of optimism for the week, now back to reality.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 12:05:50 PM »
I use Lou Williams as trade bait.

I agree.  I'm beginning to sour on Lou.  I wouldn't be opposed to trading him if his value is high and we can get a better fit for the team.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:48:41 PM »
It's pretty hard not to be sour on Lou right now.  His FG and 3pt % have absolutely tanked, and his turnover rate has gone up despite playing slightly less.