Author Topic: Timmy Dunks injury  (Read 12917 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Timmy Dunks injury
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »
I could get 10 dimes in a game if my job was to pass to Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett.

Well spoken, Steve Francis.

:'(

Sorry.  When I read that, I couldn't help but think when Steve Francis came into the league, joining a team with Scottie Pippen, Charles Barkley, and Hakeem Olajuwon.  His statement was (paraphrased), "With that kind of a team, there's no reason I shouldn't lead the league in assists."  Well, Pippen was traded, Barkley and Olajuwon were hurt, and Steve Francis has NEVER been considered a great set-up man.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 10:48:48 AM »
I could get 10 dimes in a game if my job was to pass to Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett.

Well spoken, Steve Francis.

:'(

Sorry.  When I read that, I couldn't help but think when Steve Francis came into the league, joining a team with Scottie Pippen, Charles Barkley, and Hakeem Olajuwon.  His statement was (paraphrased), "With that kind of a team, there's no reason I shouldn't lead the league in assists."  Well, Pippen was traded, Barkley and Olajuwon were hurt, and Steve Francis has NEVER been considered a great set-up man.

Would you agree that Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett are an offensive powerhouse compared to Pippen, Barkley, and Olajuwon?  You have one of the best shooters in the league, one of the best slashers, and one of the best big men....

If you move Rondo away from those guys he would be less than Steve Francis IMO.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »
Rondo cannot shot for shyte

He's an above average midrange shooter.  He doesn't have 3 pt range, but saying he can't shoot for shyte is a little overstating the fact.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »
Rondo is overrated in my book.  Any young PG would do well in that offense I think.

I have to respectfully disagree.  He has a 19.1 PER, and a projected 12 win shares.  Players don't just get that because of the system.  He is 4th in the league in defensive win shares, #1 amongst guards.  His overall contribution to the Celtics is statistically higher than Paul Pierce, and very comparable to Kevin Garnett.  The Celts are a big 4, not a big 3.

He doesn't command nearly the same attention as Paul Pierce so I take that stat with a grain of salt.

He is also the weak spot many teams attack either by posting him up or by forcing him to shoot the jumper.  I disagree they are a big 4 for that reason.

If you put Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Tony Parker, or Jameer Nelson you would get even better results.  If you take Rondo and put him in a Jazz or Hornets uniform you would have lottery teams.  A system doesn't just give you those kind of stats but the system teamed up with playing of 3 of the best players in the league does.  I could get 10 dimes in a game if my job was to pass to Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett.

Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, no problem I will concede that point.  Of course that was not the point I was making.  Derrick Rose, Jameer Nelson is purely rhetorical and though you can make the claim that they would contribute more than Rondo, I could say the opposite and you cannot offer any definitive evidence to the contrary.  So while you may want to make a relative evaluation, I on the other hand am simply referring to actuality.

My point is you can say that Rondo is able to do all the things he does chiefly because he has G/P/A and perhaps their presence does have a significant impact.  Their presence though does not change, or impact the fact the Rondo does perform.  If he was in NO instead of Paul, then perhaps he would have to shoulder a bigger burden, or his opportunities would be more difficult, but that does not in any way shape or form reflect upon his absolute actual performance in Boston.  Performance is what performance is, and Rondo's performance has been good/very good/exceptional.

The whole point of me bringing up those other guys is to prove the point that his skills and production is inflated due to who he plays with.  If he was in any other system with other players he would not nearly have the same success and in my honest opinion would be exposed as an average point guard.  In no way do I think he deserves the elite point guard status he has been given by fans and people around the league.  You can put a large number of point guards in this league in that system with those players and get those same results.  That is why I do not feel it is all that exceptional.

Obviously what I said cannot be proven by numbers but that doesn't make it some far fetched idea.  While I understand you are a stat guy and numbers do prove something, I don't think they prove everything as I've said many times before.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 11:22:52 AM »

He's an above average midrange shooter.  He doesn't have 3 pt range, but saying he can't shoot for shyte is a little overstating the fact.

This could also be because teams have to focus on the big three more so than rondo, less contested shots should equate to above average shooting.  IMO it still points to the fact that this kid is on a team with top notch players and replace him with someone else and you could still get similar results.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »

Actually 82games.com shows otherwise.  Over half of Rondo's attempts are "close" and he shoots almost 65% on these.  As a jumpshooter he shoots just 34.6%.  He also only shoots 62% from the charity stripe.

By comparison that "terrible" jump shooter Tony Parker takes 61% of his shots as jump shots and hits 42%.

Rondo SUCKS as a shooter.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 12:02:32 PM »
Spurs fans.
The good news:  Timmy Dunks is listed day to day and might even play tonight vs the Lebrons.  Btw, what a shellacking the LeBrons took from the Rockets last night.  Another win by the leagues best Division.

The don't celebrate prematurely news:  Duncs was listed "day to day" after his injury in 2000.  We all know that led to him missing the rest of the season hence an asterisk Championship year.

2004 Dunks was also listed "day to day". Injured on Feb 28th, he was out about 3 weeks.  Was also a quad area injury. ;)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 04:24:33 PM »
Spurs fans.
The good news:  Timmy Dunks is listed day to day and might even play tonight vs the Lebrons.  Btw, what a shellacking the LeBrons took from the Rockets last night.  Another win by the leagues best Division.

Why doesn't Lord Sternfish fix games for his biggest shining star?  I don't get it.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 06:56:24 PM »
The whole point of me bringing up those other guys is to prove the point that his skills and production is inflated due to who he plays with.  If he was in any other system with other players he would not nearly have the same success and in my honest opinion would be exposed as an average point guard.  In no way do I think he deserves the elite point guard status he has been given by fans and people around the league.  You can put a large number of point guards in this league in that system with those players and get those same results.  That is why I do not feel it is all that exceptional.

Obviously what I said cannot be proven by numbers but that doesn't make it some far fetched idea.  While I understand you are a stat guy and numbers do prove something, I don't think they prove everything as I've said many times before.

Wk here is a very interesting article that I found fascinating.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/17-03/wp_quant?currentPage=all

Now, I ask that you indulge my hubris for a moment, as I am going to go Edith Bunker on you and go off on a seemingly random tangent.  I see this article as a metaphor for this discussion, but it will seem as if this has nothing to do with Rajon Rondo or basketball.  Once I am done, feel free to go Archie on me, and call me a dingbat if you want.

The essence I took out of the article, broken down into a few sentences, is that people are constantly searching for the one simple thing the explains/measures/encapsulates everything in a nice tidy neat little formula that expresses the nature of some complex interaction, or some metaphysical truth.  People do this constantly, be it with religion, economics, politics, finance, sports, and life in general.  They are constantly searching for that answer that explains it, and sometimes they think they find it, and they then begin to operate using that, sometimes making bets for or against it.  Life though doesn't work that way.  There are 5 absolutes, death and the 4 forces in the universe. E=Mc2 is just such an equation, and it works because the 4 forces of the universe are absolutes, don't change, but nothing else in life works that way.  Life is all about assessing risk, because no matter how brilliant the beautiful formula you have may describe the world, it has a margin for error, and the challenge is to always fairly assess the risk that the equation is wrong.  You assess that risk using your life experience, which create and formulate your bias'.  Because your assessment is influenced by those biases, often you misinterpret what the equation is telling you, or you choose the equation which best comports with your biases.  If you do a great job of properly assessing that risk (ie. your bias and the equation you use are in congruence), then you will be successful, but if you do a poor job of assessing that risk then you will be a failure.

So now you say that I am a stats guy, and yeah I like to use numbers to articulate points.  I use the equations, numbers and evaluations that comport with my experience and bias, and you use the evaluations you use.  We both use those to articulate points, ideas and concepts.  I like everybody love to find that holy grail number that truly expresses the essential nature of the universe.  I like everybody gets caught up in believing that once you find it, then you give away yourself to that equation, and let it drive all of your decision making.  If you don't properly assess the risk that the equation is wrong, then at some point you will make a bet on the equation, and it will go against you.  Sometimes I do a good job of assessing the margin for error relating to some number I use, and at other times I do a poor job with it.  Sometimes I struggle to find an equation that articulates what my biases may tell me, and I follow my biases, hoping to find a number that explains that bias.  I had a bias regarding Shane Battier, which said he was a good, and highly under-appreciated  player, but I struggled to find a way to measure that.  The other article I posted did a good job of articulating what I thought and observed.  That of course doesn't make it right or wrong, just that it articulates what I believe.  The margin for error for it though may in fact be very low.  I would hope that when I use a "stat" to rationalize a bias, that I do properly assess the margin for error, but obviously I can be wrong.

All that being said, please understand exactly what I am saying about Rondo.  Do I have a beautiful magical equation that will perfectly articulate how good of a player he is?  No, it is all in context, which is the point I believe you are trying to make.  I am not arguing that point.  I think we both agree that Rondo's performance must be considered in the context of his circumstances, and his circumstances are different from Jameer Nelson's, or Derrick Rose's, or Derek Fisher's, or Steve Blake's.  Fair enough.

The point I am articulating is not an absolute one, but a relative one, and relative points are always subject to interpretation and context, which I think we both agree on.  Now WOW said that Rondo can't shoot for shyte, Derek disagreed, and Lurker provided some statistical evidence that implied that
Rondo SUCKS as a shooter

Now I would like to use Lurker's point coming from a different perspective (hence my roundabout metaphor).  Does Rondo suck as a shooter?  Well Rondo is making nearly 52% of his shots from the field, and has an effective FG% of 53% and a true shooting % of 55%.  Does that mean that Rondo has great shooting skills?  No, none of those 3 numbers proves he has good shooting skills.  Do the numbers Lurker used prove that he is a bad shooter?  Not necessarily.  Do the numbers I just posted show that Rondo is a good, or perhaps more accurately, an effective shooter?  Well in the context of the performance of other guards in the NBA, yes those numbers to indicate that he is a good or highly effective shooter.  He recognizes his relative skills, and exploits those that allows him to be the most effective, so as a result he shoots a very high %.  His outcome is very good, so he is effective, perhaps even very effective.

So when I make the argument that Rondo is one of Boston's Big 4, I am looking at his outcome.  Perhaps others could do very well, perhaps even better than him, in the same context.  That of course does not have anything to do with Rondo's contribution within his context.  Rondo's contribution is significant, and he should get measured on his actual contribution.  He may not be as talented as a shooter as say Paul Pierce, but he is more effective at shooting the ball than Paul Pierce.  He may not be as good a passer as say Chris Paul, but he is very effective at passing the ball.  He may not be a great rebounder, but within the context of the Boston Celtics, he is a better rebounder than Paul Pierce.  I believe that Rondo is a very effective NBA player.  So what is more important, being a better player, or a more effective player?

Wk, now I know how I am, so I reread this post.  Even though it may sound like I may be talking down to you, please recognize that is not my intent.  Just trying make an observation.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 02:06:55 AM »
About the point in this thread that westkoast came in with:

Rondo is overrated in my book.  Any young PG would do well in that offense I think.

I had this reflex tick to push reply and explain to our young, wayward 'koast the value of Rajon Rondo.  Then after a split second, thought what would I say, how could I get this across.  He'll just come back with he's on a team with Ray, Pierce and KG. So being lazy and having other stuff to do, I let it go.  Then Ziggy replied and succintly described the value of Rondo.  I thought good, at least something was said.  Westkoast predictably came back with he's on a team with Ray, Pierce and KG.  That reflex urge came back, but realization came crashing down and all I could do was shake my head with the thought "maybe Ziggy will reply".

Well, he replied with one of the most eloquent posts I've read in my 4 years of reading this message board.  It was amazing but I find myself forlorn and shaking my head, even now, knowing and lamenting that the argument will come back to.  But he plays with Ray, Pierce, and KG.

=====================================
On a semi-related note 82games.com did a statistical analysis of the 2006 draft prospects before the selections occured.  The analysis projected Rajon Rondo to be the second most likely to have a successful pro basketball career.  Here were the top 20 selected:

1 Andrea Bargnani (C/F) 
2 LaMarcus Aldridge (F/C)   
3 Adam Morrison (SF)   
4 Tyrus Thomas (F)   
5 Shelden Williams (F/C)   
6 Brandon Roy (SG)   
7 Randy Foye (SG)   
8 Rudy Gay (G/F)   
9 Patrick O'Bryant (C)   
10 Mouhamed Sene (C)   
11 J.J. Redick (SG)   
12 Hilton Armstrong (F/C)   
13 Thabo Sefolosha (SG)
14 Ronnie Brewer (G/F)   
15 Cedric Simmons (PF)   
16 Rodney Carney (SF)   
17 Shawne Williams (G/F)   
18 Oleksiy Pecherov (PF)   
19 Quincy Douby (SG)   
20 Renaldo Balkman (SF) 

Besides obviously Brandon Roy, can you truly say any of these other players are more successful "big-picture" wise than Rajon Rondo?  If you're curious, Brandon Roy was projected 3rd and the player projected 1st -- Ronnie Brewer.  Just wanted to point out that the respect for Rajon Rondo's game came way before Allen and KG were even in Celtic green.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 02:09:51 AM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009, 05:45:48 PM »

I had this reflex tick to push reply and explain to our young, wayward 'koast the value of Rajon Rondo.  Then after a split second, thought what would I say, how could I get this across.  He'll just come back with he's on a team with Ray, Pierce and KG. So being lazy and having other stuff to do, I let it go.  Then Ziggy replied and succintly described the value of Rondo.  I thought good, at least something was said.  Westkoast predictably came back with he's on a team with Ray, Pierce and KG.  That reflex urge came back, but realization came crashing down and all I could do was shake my head with the thought "maybe Ziggy will reply".

Well, he replied with one of the most eloquent posts I've read in my 4 years of reading this message board.  It was amazing but I find myself forlorn and shaking my head, even now, knowing and lamenting that the argument will come back to.  But he plays with Ray, Pierce, and KG.

=====================================
On a semi-related note 82games.com did a statistical analysis of the 2006 draft prospects before the selections occured.  The analysis projected Rajon Rondo to be the second most likely to have a successful pro basketball career.  Here were the top 20 selected:

1 Andrea Bargnani (C/F) 
2 LaMarcus Aldridge (F/C)   
3 Adam Morrison (SF)   
4 Tyrus Thomas (F)   
5 Shelden Williams (F/C)   
6 Brandon Roy (SG)   
7 Randy Foye (SG)   
8 Rudy Gay (G/F)   
9 Patrick O'Bryant (C)   
10 Mouhamed Sene (C)   
11 J.J. Redick (SG)   
12 Hilton Armstrong (F/C)   
13 Thabo Sefolosha (SG)
14 Ronnie Brewer (G/F)   
15 Cedric Simmons (PF)   
16 Rodney Carney (SF)   
17 Shawne Williams (G/F)   
18 Oleksiy Pecherov (PF)   
19 Quincy Douby (SG)   
20 Renaldo Balkman (SF) 

Besides obviously Brandon Roy, can you truly say any of these other players are more successful "big-picture" wise than Rajon Rondo?  If you're curious, Brandon Roy was projected 3rd and the player projected 1st -- Ronnie Brewer.  Just wanted to point out that the respect for Rajon Rondo's game came way before Allen and KG were even in Celtic green.

Makes me wonder if any of you actually watch the games, strait up stat geeks IMO, no wonder you guys kick arse in FNBA.  Other than his speed there is nothing special about Rondo, heck other than his speed there is barely anything "average" about his game.  If he works on his game he might develop into a very good PG, ala D. Fish & T Parker.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »

Skandery I don't understand how you can get miffed over me bringing up my point  if it continues to get swept to the side like it's a non-factor in his success?  I should just drop my point because YOU personally don't think it's all that important???  I can't wait for Stephon Marbury, a guy who hasn't played basketball in 2 years, to start coming in and KILLING the stat sheet to prove my point.  If playing a long side three superstars didn't really mean all that much why have a number of people on the board felt the need to point out Kobe had Shaq so often?  People on this very board have stated that Kobe benefited a great deal from having Shaq on his team.  Yet when I say Rondo benefits a great deal from having KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen some how I shouldn't bring it up.... okay.  Outside of the Lakers the Celtics are probably the team I watch the most.  Just so happen to get a lot of their games thanks to their championship status.  If Rondo was exceptional then he wouldn't be the #1 option to exploit for the opposing team.  Find me a stat that expresses that.  Don't worry Ill wait ;)  To me saying that there is a large number of PGs in this league who could do what he does each night sounds like a valid response to he's exceptional.  One that may be hypothetical and not as solid as having numbers but logically it works.  If you replace Rondo with a lot of point guards in this league they will be able to pass the ball to KG, PP, and Ray Allen LOL.

Ziggy, I see your post.  I am going to read it and follow the link.  Then I will make an attempt to make a half way decent response to you LOL.    For the record there has only been 1 time where I felt like you were talking down to me on this board.  I respect your views on basketball so I see it nothing more than two people debating their side of the issue.  No talking down at all.    If I come across like anti-stats I don't mean to be.  I just think that so much stat crunching has been done over the years you can honestly skew numbers to prove a lot of things.  There are a million different stats and number break down to the point where I could probably prove Lebron James isn't that good in some way.  Numbers usually are not bias so I think stats is a great way to help strengthen a persons argument but I don't think it's the only way to prove a point.  Btw, I was wrong about Kevin Durant.  You were right.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:01:50 AM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »
First of all, let me do a bit of educating people to the value of Rondo:

Start with this premise:  HE PLAYS ON A TEAM WITH GARNETT, RAY ALLEN, AND PIERCE.

In such a case, Rondo is putting up .274 shots per minute.  Last year, he put up .309.  And for those shots, he's shooting .518 this year, and .492 last year.  Add to that his assists per minute:  .252 assists per minute this year, and .170 per minute last year.

Let's compare this with a certain starter from a championship team (who shall, at this point remain nameless).

Comparing his second year, when he won the title, with Rondo's second year, when he won the title, you get these numbers from the older guy:

Shooting percentage:  .464
Shots per minute:  .376
Assists per minute:  .156

And the older guy currently:
Shooting percentage:  .487
Shots per minute:  .507
Assists per minute:  .196

You see, Rajon Rondo UNDERSTANDS that he's on a team with Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kevin Garnett...so he GIVES THEM THE BALL.  Even better, he figured out that he ought to give them the ball MORE - and cut back on the shots he's taking.

Tony Parker, on the other hand, didn't feel like giving the ball to Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Stephen Jackson, Manu Ginobilli.  And today, he takes his own shot even more often.

Or let's look at these numbers, from a guy with 3 championship rings - Sam Cassell.

Last year, in Boston, he shot .385, took .435 shots per minute, and got .117 assists per minute.  That's veteran leadership for you right there - come right into the game, take the ball out of the hands of your better players, and shoot you out of the game.  And while he won those other rings?  .418 FG%, .346 shots per minute, .171 assists per minute as a rookie.  .427 FG%, .315 shots per minute, .215 assists per minute his second year.  And his third year?  .439 FG%, .391 shots per minute, .165 assists per minute.  Small wonder they jettisoned him;  he couldn't find it in his heart to pass to Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, and Robert Horry.

Now let's look at someone a bit different:  Derek Fisher.

Fisher's second season, when he started getting into the starting line-up, he shot .434, took .215 shots per minute, and dished out .189 assists per minute.  During the three Laker championship seasons, here are his numbers:  .346, .412, .411 FG%;  .268, .264, .337 shots per minute;  .120, .123, .092 assists per minute.  (The assists per minute numbers are ATROCIOUS.)

Look at Fisher last year and this:
FG%:  .436, .427
SPM:  .345, .283
APM:  .106, .114  (Again, atrocious.  And if you think it's because he's in the triangle, his year in Utah, he was .120.)

While Fisher isn't an outstanding passer, if you look at it, he DOESN'T SHOOT A LOT.  He knows to give the ball up.  I don't have the splits for his last season before and after the Gasol deal, but I'd bet good money that his shots per minute went DOWN when Gasol got there.

And for a comparison point - John Stockton's CAREER:  .515 FG%, .286 shots per minute, .331 APM.  (I had to do a double-check when I saw the career APM number.)

Another comparison point - Maurice Cheeks Career:  .523 FG%, .269 shots per minute, .212 APM.  So this year, Rondo is shooting a little worse, and a little more often, but passing better than Maurice Cheeks.  That ain't bad.

The value in Rondo is that he is learning he doesn't HAVE to shoot.  He has the option of PASSING the ball to folks who are better shooters.  That's what a point guard is supposed to do - DIRECT the offense, not take it over.

So - in summary - Rondo's value is found in the fact that he's shooting a good percentage because he's not taking bad shots, not taking too many shots, and is giving the ball up and improving as a passer.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »
Skandery I don't understand how you can get miffed over me bringing up my point

Acutally I'm not miffed at all. 

People on this very board have stated that Kobe benefited a great deal from having Shaq on his team.

wk, its one thing to say somebody benefits from having someone else on his team and completely another thing to say what you posted here:

You essentially said that Rondo is nothing, replace him with any player and you wouldn't lose anything.  Have you ever seen me post anything like that about Kobe.  Have I ever said Kobe is worthless.  Any young SG would have done well with Shaq and that offense.  You could have replaced Kobe with Ray Allen, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce, Allan Houston, Reggie Miller etc. and still won 3 championships.  See the difference? 

You'd be correct in saying that Rondo benefits from having PP, KG, and Ray on his team.  You are incorrect in saying Rondo is completely and 100% replaceable and brings no value to the team; you're essentially saying he's worthless.  In that I wholeheartedly disagree.  You post:

If you replace Rondo with a lot of point guards in this league they will be able to pass the ball to KG, PP, and Ray Allen LOL.

My reply is that statement shows a complete lack of common sense surrounding this issue.  You may be watching a lot of Celtic games, but you obviously are letting your pre-formed, biased opinion win out over a multitude of real game observations, as well as traditional and non-traditional statistics. 

You don't get to be ranked #1 among guards (and #4 overall) in defensive win shares if you're a worthless, eminently replaceable player.  You don't get to be ranked #4 in the NBA in steals per game if you're a worthless, eminently replaceable player.  You don't get to be ranked #4 in the NBA in assists per game if you're a worthless, eminently replaceable player.  You don't get to be ranked #2 amongst PGs (behind JKidd) in rebounds per game if you're a worthless, eminently replaceable player.  You don't get to be ranked #1 amongst PGs, and in the Top 20 overall, in Field Goal % if you're a worthless, eminently replaceable player.  You don't hang 21 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds, and 6 steals on the exclamation point Game 6 victory in the NBA Finals against the vaunted Lakers unless, wk, you think the Laker team is underneath something worthless.   

In Boston 2 losses in the Finals, Rondo avg. 17 mpg, in Boston 4 wins he avg. 31 mpg.  Conincidence?  I don't even like Rondo and I'm not a Celtics fan, but I just can't let off-hand comments that show a blantant disregard of reality go.  Is Rondo a young player prone to mistakes?  Sure!  Is Rondo a terrible 3 pt shooter and unreliable from the perimeter?  Yes!  Is Rondo horribly and shamefully bad from the FT line and should he work hard on this part of his game as a PG who is the primary ball-handler.  ABSOLUTELY 100%. 

Can you call one of the most defensively talented, most efficient, better rebounding, better passing PGs in the NBA completely worthless and eminently replaceable.  No, westkoast, you can't.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
Skandery I don't remember seeing where I called him WORTHLESS.  I certainly don't remember typing that.    I did say he could be replaced by any of the young PGs (whom I listed).   I didn't say Earl Watson could go to Boston and do exactly what Rondo does seriously.  So please feel free to not use any of the various ways you come up with to say I think hes 100% useless.  I said he was overrated.  A solid player can be overrated.  I do not believe he is one of the top 5 PGs in this league.  I did not think he was last year and I do not think he is this year.  However he is touted the same as Chris Paul or Deron Williams, that I do not agree with.    That simple.  AGAIN, I never said he was worthless here.   There is a big difference in beliving that there are a lot of PGs who would thrive like Rondo in Boston it is quite another to say he is WORTHLESS.  Not sure if you understand what LOL means on the Internets but it means laugh out loud.  Usually when someone makes a statement and then laughs out loud right after.....well I'll let you figure that one out.  I am hoping everyone else realized it was me saying that tongue in cheek.  The CAPS should have gave it away.   You did see the LOL when you quoted it right?

I am very much aware of his stats.  He is on my fantasy team.   I saw Ziggy's stats on him.   Mind you, I am saying look at these other things to understand where I am coming from.  While you tried to act like I only said he plays on a team with the Big Three I did bring up another point that was ignored....he is the weak link on that team and other coaches use him to beat the Celtics.  Many teams in this league specifically exploit Rondo to try to get an edge on the Celtics.  Quite a few teams have done it this year including the Lakers, Spurs, and Magic.  I bet the Pistons do it today when they play.  Once again, this is not some outlandish crazy-guy-at-the-bus-stop talk.  This is legit and worth bringing up.  I find this to be just as relevant as numbers that have been crunched a million times over.  Just because I can't put it directly into a number doesn't mean it's not true.  He does get attacked and if he was exceptional I don't think he would be the main plan of attack for rivals.  To keep this on topic about the Spurs, didn't Tony Parker say he feels Rondo is overrated?  Before this turns into a Tony Parker is overrated back and forth...my point is I am not the only person who feels he is.

Oh, btw, the Laker jabs don't work if you are looking for a rise.  The Lakers played PATHETIC in that game.  Not sure you want to try to make that point, using that game.  He was being guarded by an old Derek Fisher and a guy who is not very good at defense/a 4th tier PG.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:32:07 PM by westkoast »